• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Curtis Brown, Ltd. (USA)

AmyMarie

Registered
Reaction score
Ginger Clark said on Twitter today:

"Authors: I'm caught up on requested partials sent before 1/7/14. If you haven't heard from me, it is OK to follow up."

"Authors: I am caught up on emailed queries sent before 11:59 PM, EST, on January 15th."

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Equeried Ginger Clark on 10/7/14
YA Post-Apocalyptic
No response / assuming no

jazzywaltz

Registered
Reaction score
[Agency] Curtis Brown NY

In the past couple of days I've received an email from an Italian translator and a subsidiary rights agent asking about the foreign rights to my book, and it got me thinking about the idea of seeking out a foreign rights agent myself as I do want to get my book into some overseas markets. Just for the hell of it, I shot off a few emails to some foreign rights agents to feel for interest, and I woke up to an email this morning from Curtis Brown asking me to send them my full manuscript.

From what I understand, Curtis Brown is HUGE in the UK and they have a great client roster, but the details on their US site are a little sparse. Does anyone writing in the fantasy genre have experience working with Curtis Brown's US agency? I'm really interested in knowing what their track record with my genre is, particularly regarding foreign rights as that's what I'm interested in in the first place.

Oh-boy

Registered
Reaction score
Mitchell Waters at Curtis Brown

Curtis Brown US is smaller than Curtis Brown UK, and they are totally distinct and separate. (I don't know how they have the same name, I'm assuming it was like the split of the Roman Empire.)

CB in the US is smaller, but it's still a big deal. They consistently make seven-figure deals, and they have a huge client list, so only a fool turns their nose up at them.

I sent Mitchell Waters a query, got a reply 30 minutes later. Swapped a couple of emails over the next few minutes, then sent him the full MS after he requested it.

He sort of sat on it for about two weeks, until I sent him an email telling him that I was getting interest in my MS from other agents, which I was. (Never bluff in agent-hunting: Your bluff is bound to be called.)

The book wasn't for him—but he asked to slip it to a colleague of his at Curtis Brown, whom he said might have a better affinity for my genre of work. I agreed, and he said that he'd forwarded it to his colleague.

Like any agent, he's got a lot on his plate. And like all agents, he will only pay attention to an MS if he perceives other agents are also interested. But I appreciated the fact that, even though my MS wasn't for him, he thought it might be for a colleague. Most agents just brush you off if they reject your work, but Mitchell clearly wanted to help the writer.

So very nice guy in my book.

live-artistically

Registered
Reaction score
Steven Salpeter (Curtis Brown)

I'm not sure where to post this thread, so I'm just gonna post it here. Yesterday I queried Steven Salpeter (online form) and he requested a partial. Once I sent it to him as a reply to his email, I immediately received an automated response This is the text:

This is an automated response. This email address is not monitored, and is only used for the query system.

I can be reached at www.stevensalpeter.com

What does this mean, and how I contact him? Does he have an other email address or...?

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this thread, so I'm just gonna post it here. Yesterday I queried Steven Salpeter (online form) and he requested a partial. Once I sent it to him as a reply to his email, I immediately received an automated response This is the text:

This is an automated response. This email address is not monitored, and is only used for the query system.

I can be reached at www.stevensalpeter.com

What does this mean, and how I contact him? Does he have an other email address or...?

I would go to that site and find his contact information there, which I just did, it takes you to a form. Just send a nice little note telling him the situation, more than likely he accidentally sent it from the wrong account.

XSnapdragonx

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any recent experience with Laura Blake Peterson or Kerry D'Agostino?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From PM:

Monika Woods has joined Curtis Brown as a literary agent, and will continue to represent literary and commercial fiction, non-fiction, and food projects. Most recently she was at Inkwell Management.

LauraRudish

Registered
Reaction score
Steven Salpeter is an agent at Curtis Brown, Ltd in New York, who gave me some great guidance when I did my very first pitch to him at a publishing conference in June. He didn't ask to see my manuscript ( to be honest, my pitch was a mess), but when I incorporated his pitch advice at my next conference, 5 out of the 7 agents I pitched to asked for partial manuscripts. Steven Salpeter was super generous with his time, and obviously loves being a literary agent. Highly recommend.

F.L.N

The Old Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Steven Kasdin, formerly of Curtis Brown

Steven Kasdin is no longer listed on the Curtis Brown site. Does anyone know where he has gone?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A very brief google led me to his LinkedIn page, which shows he moved to the Dolce Media Group in May of this year.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
And yet again, I'm posting just so I can get notifications in this thread. Queries will be coming soon.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
Not as far as I know @goddessofgliese. I've subbed the same manuscript to more than one agent there (one at a time, of course) and never been slapped down by any of them for it.

La tante de Mary

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone here know whether Katherine Fausset likes her 3 chapter sample IN the body of the email or as attachment?