• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Greenhouse Literary Agency

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Montage, I'm so sorry to hear! I haven't heard back yet...getting nervous. I'm glad she gave you some good feedback, though--so often people get little more than a form on requested fulls. I understand that agents don't have time for more. So when they do give you that extra gift, it's a nice thing. There are a few other kidlit-only agencies--have you tried them? (Tracey Adams is closed to unsoliciteds, but she goes to a fair number of conferences. And then there's Pippin Properties--reps Kate DiCamillo--and a brand spankin' new one, Greenhouse Literary, here: http://www.greenhouseliterary.com/.)

Anyway...not trying to hijack the thread, since it's hard to find info on closed agents. But I'm at 2.5 months (1.5 if you discount December, which I think you basically have to), so I've got a while yet before I need to haunt the mailbox. I keep meeting people who know her, and...I'm trying to control the hope monster.

MUST work on another project quickly and get this out of my mind for now!

Hopcus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiahopcus.com
I checked out Greenhouse Lit and even though they said they do YA I'm not sure if they would be interested in edgy YA urban fantasy. Does anyone know more specifically what they are into?

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I checked out Greenhouse Lit and even though they said they do YA I'm not sure if they would be interested in edgy YA urban fantasy. Does anyone know more specifically what they are into?

Hello Hop,

Sarah Davies
Greenhouse Literary Agency
11308 Lapham Drive
Oakton, VA 22124
703 865 4990

querytracker.net says that she handles Middle Grade and Young Adult.

PM has nothing that she represented, but I found some deals that were sold to a "Sarah Davies" at Macmillan in the UK. Looks like it could be the same person. Maybe she moved to the US to become an agent.

August 11, 2005
s.gif
s.gif
Foreign rights:
UK Children's F. E. Higgins's THE BLACK BOOK OF SECRETS, about a boy on the run who crosses paths with a mysterious, travelling pawnbroker who trades people's deepest, darkest, secrets for cash, to Sarah Davies at Macmillan Children's, in a two-book deal, for publication in Spring 2007 and the second in 2008, by Janice Swanson at Curtis Brown UK.

March 12, 2004
s.gif
s.gif
Foreign rights Sarah Mlynowski's first novel in a comic YA series BRAS & BROOMSTICKS to Sigrid Kraus of Salamandra in Spain, in a very nice deal, by Laura Dail and International Editors. Rights have also been sold to: Albin Michel in France (via Eliane Benisti), Random House Germany (via Thomas Schluck), Vassallucci in Holland, Sonzogno in Italy (via Roberto Santachiara), Sony in Japan (via Owl's), WSOY in Finland and Richters in Sweden (via Ulf Toregard), Amarin in Thailand, and to Sarah Davies at Macmillan in the UK.

October 30, 2003
s.gif
s.gif
Children's NYT bestselling author Meg Cabot's three more PRINCESS DIARIES books, a companion novel to her best-selling ALL-AMERICAN GIRL, and one other YA novel, again to Abigail
McAden at Harper Children's, in a major deal for seven figures, by Laura Langlie.
UK rights to the three PRINCESS DIARIES novels, the companion to ALL-AMERICAN GIRL, and TEEN IDOL (already
under contract at Harper), to Sarah Davies at Macmillan, by Annette Green on the author's behalf.
German rights to TEEN IDOL to Bertelsmann, by the Thomas Schlueck Agency.

June 7, 2002
s.gif
s.gif
Fiction UK rights to Carl Hiassen's HOOT, his first children's book, to Sarah Davies at Macmillan Children's Books, in a "substantial five-figure" deal, by Deborah Rogers at Rogers, Coleridge & White.

October 2, 2001
s.gif
s.gif
Children's Bestselling YA author Meg Cabot's next three PRINCESS DIARIES novels, plus another untitled book, to Abigail McAden at HarperCollins Children's, in a significant deal, by Laura Langlie. Cabot's new series ALL-AMERICAN GIRL and the three new Princess titles were sold to Sarah Davies at Macmillan UK, through co-agent Annette Green. ALL-AMERICAN GIRL has been optioned to Disney by Bill Contardi at William Morris, with Debra Martin Chase, a producer of THE PRINCESS DIARIES and its planned sequel, again producing.

Hope this helps.

shegiles

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten any rejections or requests from Greenhouse Literary yet?

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
I got a kind of request -- I sent my query with the first three chaps as suggested by her submission page -- and she e-mailed me with a request for the first three chaps again (very nice message -- sent from her Blackberry) and thanking me for my query, which she said she enjoyed.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
24 day personalized ejection to equery
with three chapters attached.
very kind. also gave a specific reason why
she didn't feel it was right for her.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
24 day personalized ejection to equery
with three chapters attached.
very kind. also gave a specific reason why
she didn't feel it was right for her.

Same experience here (though it was only 16 days).

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
So you guys have attached the first three chapters and not pasted them? I'm not sure what to do and the website doesn't specify. (and it seems most agents are anti-attachments so I didn't want to do the wrong thing!)

Mrs. Strange

Water resistant
Registered
Reaction score
Rachel,
I pasted mine and got a response three weeks later, so it's okay to paste in the e-mail.

remembermee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ruberypress.co.uk
I got a lovely rejection from Sarah. She said she didn't think the UK market had much space for 'serious' teen fiction and that the US market had quite a few. So she passed on it.
She admired the titles of all 3 of my books (I'm writing my 3rd - sent her my second). And she said she would be happy to read my next book.

Oh and I always paste the stuff in my email unless it says they accept attachments.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
I received a very nice form rejection from Sarah, with an apology that—because of the volume of submissions she's recently received—she can't continue her practice of responding with a personal note. (I'd submitted about three weeks ago, so she responds in a timely maner.)

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
R but one of my favorite kinds "Thanks for your submission. I’m sorry, but it isn’t one for me."
I like the plain and simple, no fancy "I'm sorry but I must step aside" nonsense...

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I meant to post here ages ago but kept forgetting. Sarah and Julia Churchill (who's working for the agency in the UK) did a presentation to the British chapter of the SCBWI in February about writing manuscripts, query letters etc (all the normal stuff that anyone who's done their research will already know - but still good to hear it from the source). Both ladies were really nice - more than happy to chat and give their opinion and v. open about the process and what they're looking for.

Anyway, chatting to Julia afterwards, she said that she was particularly keen on dark children's/YA fiction. So if anyone has a project that seems pretty dark, she might well be worth a punt.

MM

steampunk

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Submitted May 18th with the first 2 chapters in the body. Got a really nice, really personalized ejection from Sarah today (June 9th). Dissapointed cause she seemed really great to work with but totally appreciate how she worded her rejection.

seeker4

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I also received a nice rejection from Sarah today. I queried her on 5/29/09. Too bad, she seems great to work with and I really enjoy her blog.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Four day form rejection on a query + 5 pages.

bluehippo

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Julia on 27/07/2009 and got a rejection a week later. It was only a brief note, saying she was sorry but she didn't feel my novel was for her. But she did use my name, instead of the usual dear author response, and I appreciated that.

deltay

Registered
Reaction score
Queried her yesterday, got a request for a partial/full in less than 24 hours. Just a nerve-wracking waiting game from here on out. :)

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
Got my R from Sarah today. Sent 9/7. Best of luck to you Deltay!

YA_Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a query (+5 pages) today, so here's hoping!
I absolutely adore the effort they've put in for the website, all the way down to a personal introduction and information video.

Last edited: