Hybrid Hurricane/ Winter Storm

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really hoping that the recovery doesn't go the way of Katrina. So far...it seems like that isn't happening.

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
Just heard a PSE&G spokesman on the local talk station say 7-10 days but they expect to have the majority of it restored in less time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm hoping that's the case, but driving through the town last night, it looks like most parts of the town are up -- it was only when I turned onto the main street in my neighborhood that everything became dark. It's mostly a residential town, not many businesses, and if only a few streets are out of power...I'm not holding my breath for quick restoration.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think a lot of lessons were learned from what happened after Katrina by this administration. At least I hope so.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Just heard a PSE&G spokesman on the local talk station say 7-10 days but they expect to have the majority of it restored in less time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Do you have any idea what's happening in the Freehold area? My sister lives there. No power, no gas. Her idea of preparing was taking the flashlights out of a drawer. We've been trying to get them to come up by us, but they don't want to.

We we're thinking of buying them and my dad a generator, but there are none to be had up here either.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Do you have any idea what's happening in the Freehold area? My sister lives there. No power, no gas. Her idea of preparing was taking the flashlights out of a drawer. We've been trying to get them to come up by us, but they don't want to.

We we're thinking of buying them and my dad a generator, but there are none to be had up here either.

Even if you can find a generator, there aren't many gas stations that are open and the ones that are have lines that, in some cases, a mile long.

I'm not too far from Freehold, but I don't know their specifics. If your sister has access to twitter and has PSE&G service, they can follow for updates. I don't know if JCP&L is doing the same.

I did just hear that parts of freehold are back on the grid again.

retlaw

Banned
Reaction score
got power back yesterday at 10:30am-ish. lost it for another 3 hours starting at 5pm. Been on steady since. Tree just missed my house. Close enough to smash the bulbs from the outside flood lights attached to the house. Tree on the other side fell the other way & landed on my neighbors roof. A neighbors tree fell across the driveway.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We did not lose power during the storm but one of our big trees fell on the power lines. The tree was removed on Friday morning; I think it took only about an hour for them to cut down the tree, then National Grid made some repairs.

We're very thankful the tree didn't fall on our house; it fell the other way.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Our power came back by 2PM yesterday. Now we're rationing gasoline. If you can find an open station, though, the lines are incredible, even with the rationing.

We were so lucky where I am. But, my inlaws have a house in Lavallette and we haven't been allowed to go into that area and check it out, so we don't know what sort of damage it sustained. We're expecting flood damage, as well as wind damage. Hope for the best, expect the worst. We'll see.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Damn... the pictures are heartbreaking. And this morning, in the paper, there was a story about how people are going around taking pictures like it's a sightseeing tour (I don't mean newspaper photos or people recording their loss for insurance purposes, but gawkers.) How effed up is that? "C'mon kids! Let's go look at all the people who lost everything and take pictures! It'll be fun!"

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Damn... the pictures are heartbreaking. And this morning, in the paper, there was a story about how people are going around taking pictures like it's a sightseeing tour (I don't mean newspaper photos or people recording their loss for insurance purposes, but gawkers.) How effed up is that? "C'mon kids! Let's go look at all the people who lost everything and take pictures! It'll be fun!"

Maybe it's just, I don't know, shock and a desire to preserve a record for posterity. Or to bear witness. Or they don't know what else to do.

It may not be sightseeing in the normal sense.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I don't know and I will confess to being kind of cynical - but I did read one person saying they wouldn't mind it so much if the gawkers at least offered help. But very few have.

On the other hand, there are some great stories coming out from the utility workers, about how despite being frustrated by having no power, people are warm and welcoming to the workers. Thanking them. In some cases hugging them. I haven't seen any utility workers (aside from passing a fleet of bucket trucks on the roads), but if I do, they're getting hot coffee and many thanks from me. These guys have been busting their asses to get the state back on the grid. It's taking time, but they are doing it.

Just read before that the entire gas system on the barrier island (Pt. Pleasant to Island Beach State Park) is compromised and had to be shut down. They don't expect Seaside to have gas restored for 6-8 months. I don't know if that includes the entire island, or just Seaside, but still...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Just read before that the entire gas system on the barrier island (Pt. Pleasant to Island Beach State Park) is compromised and had to be shut down. They don't expect Seaside to have gas restored for 6-8 months. I don't know if that includes the entire island, or just Seaside, but still...

Anybody building a dwelling on a barrier island along the U.S. East Coast is an idjut, and this event should prove that, even if previous hurricanes somehow haven't. A location more vulnerable to natural destruction is hard to imagine, unless you propose to build a house inside the Kilauea crater.

caw

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody building a dwelling on a barrier island along the U.S. East Coast is an idjut, and this event should prove that, even if previous hurricanes somehow haven't. A location more vulnerable to natural destruction is hard to imagine, unless you propose to build a house inside the Kilauea crater.

caw
Now if only we could get FedGov to quit writing flood insurance for the idjuts building on those islands...

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

caw

That's as may be, but right now they are suffering and in need of help.