Chosen title IP question

kobacat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I know that the titles of single creative works aren't eligible for trademark, but that a series can be. I've just discovered that my chosen book title (The Last Prince) is also the name of a drama series that was on TV in the Philippines in 2011. Totally different theme, content, feel -- so I don't think there's much risk of confusion -- but I'm self publishing, so I'm extra worried about unwittingly infringing someone's intellectual property rights.

Any advice is much appreciated. I love my title and it really fits, but I don't want any issues, either!

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Legal advice really should come from an attorney who specializes in intellectual property. Anything I tell you is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

I think you're OK, but I'm no expert, not by a long shot.

kobacat

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much, robjvargas. I appreciate that's not legal advice! I suppose I'm seeking a sense of how proportionate my worry is, if you see what I mean.

I did go and search the register at the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines and there's nothing there. So it looks hopeful, I think.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Titles cannot be be copyrighted, but they could be trademarked, or include a trademarked part. For instance, "Wonder Woman and the Blue Beast" might get you an injunction from DC Comics.

Your case, however, seems general enough that neither it nor any of its parts are trademarked.

If your book is to be published in the U. S. it's the U. S. intellectual property, copyright, and trademark authorities which you should consult. They have online search sites which you can use for your research.