Submitting Full Manuscript to Two Publishers

twiles

Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks. New to AW and would greatly appreciate feedback on the following.

Last week I received a request from a publisher to submit my full manuscript, which I did.

Yesterday I received a similar request from a different publisher.

Can/should I submit my full manuscript to more than one publisher at a time? If the answer is no, should I notify the second publisher that the manuscript is currently in review with another publisher? A part of me wants to take advantage of every opportunity that comes knocking, but another part of me is worried that by opening that door, karma will invite itself in and bite me in the.....

Thanks for your help,

Twiles

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It depends. If both publishers' guidelines say "simultaneous submissions are okay" then yes, you can. If either of the publishers say "no simultaneous submissions" then no, you can't.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
It depends. If both publishers' guidelines say "simultaneous submissions are okay" then yes, you can. If either of the publishers say "no simultaneous submissions" then no, you can't.

Also look for the word "exclusive". If it is an exclusive submission, there should be a clear time limit. Don't let the publisher(s) keep your MS indefinitely without allowing you to submit elsewhere.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Going forward, you should research whether the publishers allow simultaneous submissions before you query more than one of them. Doing intensive research on the publishers is recommended before querying or submitting, and you'll usually find that information early on in your research.

twiles

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have provided more clarifying information in my initial post. Both publisher's submission guidelines are silent on whether simultaneous submissions are acceptable or not.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah.

Maybe check each publisher's thread in the Bewares/Reccos section, or tell us who they are and maybe folks here will have some specific info?

Otherwise.... if they're both small pubs and you think you have a good chance of acceptance at both, then yeah, probably tell them the ms is out at more than one pub. If they're both Random House sized pubs....honestly I probably wouldn't bother since odds aren't exactly in any author's favour!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have provided more clarifying information in my initial post. Both publisher's submission guidelines are silent on whether simultaneous submissions are acceptable or not.
Karma's not going to bite you, and you have nothing to worry about, you are well within your rights to submit to both if there is nothing on the website, or in the guidelines disallowing it.

No, you don't have to ask them first, or mention it to them either, until you get an offer. No you don't have to take the first offer.

I was advised by other authors to ask for two weeks to decide, when I had an offer from one publisher, and fulls with two other publishers, I asked my first choice publisher if they could give me an answer in two weeks, and asked the one who had offered me a contract if I could have two weeks to decide.

This was not my idea, but what other authors advised me to do. I had to ask other authors for advise as I had not ever considered the possibility of more than one offer. lol

In the end, I chose the publisher that other authors advised me was the best of the three who offered.

No mention of exclusivity, can be taken as not enforcing exclusivity, and publishers know that if they demand exclusivity, this may be off putting to many authors. I've noticed the only ones demanding exclusivity are usually offering a particularly good deal for authors, and promising a fast response time. If not they probably shouldn't be trying to demand exclusivity.

Last edited: