AW Art Salon and Stick Figure Drawing Gallery

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
I know there are artists amongst us because I am one and I know of some others. So I figured I'd start this thread so folks could stick up pics their latest creation or links to stuff they found interesting or ask for help with projects they are putting together.

It's the art thread, lets make a big mess!!!!! :D

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
936063_10152019442619020_564339594_n.jpg

Let's see if I can get my selfie to come up

Last edited:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Feedback would be welcome - I ask that people keep it in the spirit of AW though - of course.

I'd love some feedback, I'm really looking to improve and suggestions would be welcome.

What are you using there Alessandra, is that ordinary graphite pencil? Your peacock butterfly looks magnificent whatever it is.

Got to ask, are you finding the sketching helpful as a way to understand your writing? I mean to help you develop the ideas more in your own head and understand how something works

Yes - let's start with an esoteric question, good plan! Sorry, it's a bit philosophical that one.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Ali, I really like that one you did of Marcus Brutus. And Alessandra, the one you titled 'Order of the World' is so cool! Love the detailing on her dress.

As promised, here you go. (My sketchbook with actual decent things is 200 miles and a week away. Better(ish) stuff will eventually appear.)

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
Hur hur, thanks. I rather like my tail. :D

Normally I use pencil, but the Sharpie was winking at me tonight. ;)

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
A Rock Landscape - I did this charcoal from a picture.
Nice! I'm not good with charcoal, I always make such a mess.

Alessandra, I like the mermaid sketch.

Here's one of mine. I like it, apart from the floor and hands, two of my very weak points. And the lovely thing about long dresses is that you don't have to worry about feet either. :D

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Frog that's nice. As you say your perspective has gone a bit awry there. I am learning about perspective at the moment, if I spot anything I'll shout.

Question: does anyone here use loose sheets of paper? I have several sketch books, but increasingly find myself ripping the pages out to put on my board instead. I much prefer this way of working, but I think it'll mean I end up with a lot of stuff just wafting about.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Feedback would be welcome - I ask that people keep it in the spirit of AW though - of course.

I'd love some feedback, I'm really looking to improve and suggestions would be welcome.

What are you using there Alessandra, is that ordinary graphite pencil? Your peacock butterfly looks magnificent whatever it is.

Got to ask, are you finding the sketching helpful as a way to understand your writing? I mean to help you develop the ideas more in your own head and understand how something works

Yes - let's start with an esoteric question, good plan! Sorry, it's a bit philosophical that one.

Thank you. Yes, that's ordinary graphite pencil. I have some specialty 0.3mm mechanical pencils for the fine details, but it's ordinary pencil lead.

SkylarJade

Registered
Reaction score
Miss Stawberrii, That picture is so cute! I love how playful and happy the girl looks. Also, their outfits are great.

Frog, I love the colors you used in your picture. And her dress. Her dress is pretty. Also, this may sound odd, but those are some great bookshelves behind her.

You people posting in this thread are all so talented! ^_^

Aliwood, I usually use loose sheets of paper. I have a proper sketchbook, but I never seem to have it with me. Instead most my art is scrawled onto random notebook pages or pieces of printer paper. I'll admit, the paper ends up everywhere, and I'll find drawing I forgot I made in random places quite often.

I only draw a little. I have a friend who's been encouraging me to practice my art more and even try selling at some small conventions, but really, I have always just wanted to reach a point where I could accurately draw the characters from my story. I've been super proud of my latest piece. I've never managed one with a perspective like this or with so many of my characters in it, even if it does still have it's flaws: You all meet in an inn

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Frog that's nice. As you say your perspective has gone a bit awry there. I am learning about perspective at the moment, if I spot anything I'll shout.
The silly thing is I did learn a bit about perspective in saterday art school and I did try to apply it all here. But some of it is off, and frankly I can't really see just what I did wrong. Needs more practise I guess. Backgrounds is still a new thing for me.

Question: does anyone here use loose sheets of paper? I have several sketch books, but increasingly find myself ripping the pages out to put on my board instead. I much prefer this way of working, but I think it'll mean I end up with a lot of stuff just wafting about.
I use loose sheets as I often use watercolour and need to stretch the paper so it doesn't wrinkle too much. I also like to collect my better work so loose sheets work better so I can remove the failures. :D

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website

So you should be, that's lovely. I've tried to draw those kinds of figures in the past. I just can't get them though.

I've never managed one with a perspective like this or with so many of my characters in it, even if it does still have it's flaws: You all meet in an inn

That's wonderful Skylar. Well done.

I use loose sheets as I often use watercolour and need to stretch the paper so it doesn't wrinkle too much. I also like to collect my better work so loose sheets work better so I can remove the failures. :D

It occurs to me that as I'm going in for more charcoal at the moment, this is probably the approach to take as otherwise I'll end up getting it everywhere.

ION, I almost bought some woodless charcoal pencils today. I was really tempted. I did however, buy some black paper. And I ended up doing this - Moonlight Landscape, which is a darker on screen than it is in real life. I was twiddling around really so it leaves a lot to be desired but I had fun drawing it, which was the whole point really.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'll make art with anything I can get my grabby hands on, but lately I've been doing a lot of digital art.

Here is a cover for a self-published novelette I'll be tossing out into the world in a few weeks. The central figure was sketched from a stock photo another cover artist kindly bought for me. It's done with a combo of Painter digital airbrush and chalk.

I'm frankly terrified at this stage, but I'm seeing so many really bad self-pub photo collage covers out there I had to try for something a little better.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
By loose sheets do you mean computer/printer paper?

I have sketch books, but I don't use them that well, so I just use the loose stuff. :p

Not necessarily computer paper. I have got my hands on loose watercolour paper, some colouring paper meant for kids to scrawl on. I basically meant anything not bound in a book type thing.

I too have sketch books, but I'm really not comfortable using them. I prefer to pull the sheets out and use them one by one. I'm becoming worried I'll just end up with 'stuff' everywhere and not be able to keep them under control. I guess that's what my blog is for, digital versions can't run away so much.

Here is a cover for a self-published novelette I'll be tossing out into the world in a few weeks.

Oh, I say. *Wild applause* That's terrific. Love the shadow.

I'm frankly terrified at this stage, but I'm seeing so many really bad self-pub photo collage covers out there I had to try for something a little better.

Agrees with you whole-heartedly.

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Great pieces everyone! Love the work

Oh and a great inexpensive paper source is the ends of newsprint. This is what is left of the roll that newspapers print out. There are yards and yards of nice paper left on these. I simply cut out what I need.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
By loose sheets do you mean computer/printer paper?
I prefer pads with sligthly thicker paper where I can tear off each page and afterwards store them in a folder. The thicker pages are better for watercolour. Also, computer paper tends to get dirty or crumpled faster with heavy eraser use and I use erasers a lot when drawing. And for pencil work, a more grainy paper gives a nicer effect.

I have a few sketch books, but I'm not a fan of drawing in books since for some reason the book always seems to get in the way of my hand.

I'll make art with anything I can get my grabby hands on, but lately I've been doing a lot of digital art.
I've been wondering whether digital art would be something for me. But frankly I wouldn't know where to start. It doesn't appear to be so easy to engage in as pencil and paper.

Here is a cover for a self-published novelette I'll be tossing out into the world in a few weeks. The central figure was sketched from a stock photo another cover artist kindly bought for me. It's done with a combo of Painter digital airbrush and chalk.
Pretty! I like the blue and red, makes the cover pop nicely.

Last edited:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The silly thing is I did learn a bit about perspective in saterday art school and I did try to apply it all here. But some of it is off, and frankly I can't really see just what I did wrong. Needs more practise I guess. Backgrounds is still a new thing for me.

I have it! There's a little tutorial here about how to draw a chessboard. It's exactly the method you need for tiled floors. :D

Today is my 'art day'. I am going to draw all the things.