My dog ate my couch cushion...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
...and I have company coming over Friday. Took off the covers to give them a wash, stacked the cushions on the floor not thinking anything of it (dogs haven't chewed anything in ages), and I came home and one of them has huge chunks out of the back.

I suppose I could try gluing it back in place or something, but I'm guessing my best bet is to try to buy a new cushion. I know Hancock fabric has cushions, but I have no idea if they're good quality, and for a sofa I obviously want something comfy. Especially considering the old cushions were actually super comfortable! They were perfect. :/

I don't suppose anyone has any experience with replacing a couch cushion and can either recommend a type or place to buy them? I've read a bit online, but I'm just not sure what to look for.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do a search in your area...there are stores that only sell foam, and they can find you something similar to what you had. I've been to the foam store before :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even know they had foam stores. That would be best. I might even be able to take down the old one he tore up and see if they have something similar.

ETA: Yay! Thanks for the suggestion. :) I checked some stores, and actually found a reupholstery guy who was able to fix it. And he knew what he was doing so he was even able to match the firmness, etc. Feeling so much better now. I work all day tomorrow so I knew this would be my only chance to get it fixed before Friday, and I'm so glad he could do it.

Last edited:

Jay365

Registered
Reaction score
If you put a spot of citronella essential oil (literally just a spot!) into the final rinse cycle when you next wash the covers, your dogs probably will stay clear of them!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Does it make the house smell like citronella?

The funny thing is I don't mind the dogs being on the couch. Just the chewing the cover (which was such an odd thing for him to do!). Part of why I wanted covers was so they could get up there and I could wash it if it got dirty. It's a good way for me to have the house looking a bit nicer than before without depriving the doggies of their napping spot. The only time we ever sit there is when company comes over or to snuggle watching a movie, which is pretty rare at this point in time since we're both so busy.

Good bit of advice, though!

Jay365

Registered
Reaction score
Not if you only use a drop. Dog's noses are much more sensitive than ours, things we can't smell, they can.

It sounds like your dogs are bored! You say you are both very busy, but I think you will need to find some way of amusing the dogs. You can get treat balls, where the dog has to figure out how to get at the treats inside... or hire someone to walk them in the middle of the day for you, perhaps.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
We have the treat balls, and most of the time they're good. I think the problem wasn't so much being bored as the fact that we had just gone from a month long break from school in which both of us were here all the time to being back at work again. For about two weeks the little dog was just getting into stuff again. I'm not sure if he was protesting us being gone or if he was bored or if he was just having some separation anxiety, but he went from never chewing on stuff, to being naughty for a couple of weeks, to never chewing again. I think it's just the transition that was the problem.

We do have puzzle toys for them, and I actually until last week I always came home at lunch to let them out and snuggle them.