editorial calendar question

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. When you see a topic you would like to write about and it is already on the magazine's editorial calendar (for example, "how to find a great beach" slated for the June issue) - does that mean they already have that topic assigned, or does that mean you should submit a query custom-tailored to that topic?

On my list of favorite article ideas, I have a very specific topic, and lo and behold, it is on a magazine's editorial calendar for June. I don't want to look like an idiot and say something about it if it's common knowledge that these things are already assigned in-house, for example.

Also, June is only 3 months away (egads), so I'm thinking perhaps major magazines already have that stuff in the works/assigned/etc...

Advice?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
The magazines I've worked with usually have their editorial calendars mapped out a year in advance. It doesn't hurt to query, but 3 months is probably not enough time--the article is likely to be assigned, if not completed, already.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for responding! I've been reading about this, and yeah, you are spot on. No way would they be assigning something now that comes out in a June issue, lol.

Oh well, live and learn. ;)

Thanks again!

The magazines I've worked with usually have their editorial calendars mapped out a year in advance. It doesn't hurt to query, but 3 months is probably not enough time--the article is likely to be assigned, if not completed, already.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. When you see a topic you would like to write about and it is already on the magazine's editorial calendar (for example, "how to find a great beach" slated for the June issue) - does that mean they already have that topic assigned, or does that mean you should submit a query custom-tailored to that topic?

On my list of favorite article ideas, I have a very specific topic, and lo and behold, it is on a magazine's editorial calendar for June. I don't want to look like an idiot and say something about it if it's common knowledge that these things are already assigned in-house, for example.

Also, June is only 3 months away (egads), so I'm thinking perhaps major magazines already have that stuff in the works/assigned/etc...

Advice?

If we're talking about a decently-sized magazine (I'm not sure what schedule the mag is on but I'm going with it's a monthly), in March, it's likely the June issue is written and at best in final edits and/or layout.

Depends somewhat on the type of mag, topics, the type of piece, etc., but if you see it, it's gone - if not done, someone is doing it. Like a news mag, obviously most stuff besides random evergreen pieces or special researched stuff isn't written that far out, but if it's named, it's not just an idea, you know?

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
If we're talking about a decently-sized magazine (I'm not sure what schedule the mag is on but I'm going with it's a monthly), in March, it's likely the June issue is written and at best in final edits and/or layout.

Depends somewhat on the type of mag, topics, the type of piece, etc., but if you see it, it's gone - if not done, someone is doing it. Like a news mag, obviously most stuff besides random evergreen pieces or special researched stuff isn't written that far out, but if it's named, it's not just an idea, you know?

"If you see it, it's gone" -- excellent advice, cornflake, and oh-so-true!

Thanks for responding. I keep thinking I'm onto something and then boom - it's already on the editorial calendars. I need to keep up on current events more, I guess, lol.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
There are some magazines that publish topics or themes and due dates. Cobblestone and Fun for Kids do this. Perhaps this is more common in the children's markets.

RAstarlight

Registered
Reaction score
There are some magazines that publish topics or themes and due dates. Cobblestone and Fun for Kids do this. Perhaps this is more common in the children's markets.

Thanks Debbie! I'll keep this in mind. :)

Splodge

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind me asking a newb question, but where are you getting the editorial calendar? Does the mag have it on their website or did you have to ask for it?

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
They often publish editorial calendar within advertiser's section or media kit. If you can't find it, just send email to editor.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
The ones I know of are listed as theme lists on the sites.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I used to write regularly for magazines, most editorial calendars listed the issue the subject would be in. The due dates for article proposals and submissions were usually 6 months prior, sometimes longer. This was back before email and personal computers, let alone electronic publishing, which shortens the needed production times. But any magazine would tell you when a proposal was due and how they worked to the editorial calendar with a phone call. Or now, usually an email.

I did a few seasonal topics and could usually count on pitching the magazine in the current season for the following year's matching season. Autumn 2015 articles would be pitched in Autumn 2014.

Really sucked when magazines paid on publication...

Jeff