Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
J.K! Thanks for your words of encouragement regarding my idiotic secret smoking thing (it helps that I shave my head. Skin doesn't reek as much as hair). I'm gonna' lick this bad habit this year.

And good luck to you on your goals!

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
My Goals:

- Win a lottery (doesn't have to be jackpot. I'll settle for a meager million.)
- Attend as many writers conference as possible (subject to winning a lotto -- pretty tight atm.)
- Finish my WIP in 2013, 2014, 2015.
- Get published in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
- Get rich (frankly, one million isn't much in today's economy.)
- Quit being lazy and exercise more and lose that 0.1234 gram of fat so that...
- Becomes #9999999 in FHM's 100 Hottest Dudes Who Write contest.
- Remember to buy those goddamn lotto tickets.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Goals for 2013 :

-be calmer and happier in life, because life is good.
-Hope the free prequel gets downloaded like crazy and the other books follow suit.
-Get on NYT best sellers list any kind of book list other than the 100 worst books of 2013 :D

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I feel like a slacker because I don't have a list of goals. Well, I've got one: finish my revisions by the end of January.

Other than that, I'm just gonna go with the flow and see where life takes me. (By the way, this is SUCH a departure from the hardcore planner I used to be. I mean, I had my life planned out when I was four--and pretty much stuck to it until I graduated college. Then things turned left, and well, I gave up trying to plan. It's weird but strangely freeing).

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Ooh goals! Happy New Year Everyone!

1. Be more active on AW. I've been slowly extracting myself from another online community that has turned toxic and which went from being my happy place for several years being to a group of people I constantly want to reach through my screen and strangle. This place, on the other hand, hits all my kinks--intelligent, sharp discussion, people who tend to shut down personal vendettas, a lot of thoughtful discussion, and a lot of professional writers.

So, yeah. Want to spend a lot more time here.

2. Finish edits on the book whose title changes every time I open the file.

3. Finish the draft of YA book #2

4. Start, and complete, the defense draft of my dissertation.

5. Blog once a week

6. Read 30 fiction books. (If I counted the academic books I'll read this year, I'd have three times that, but...well. :D ) Along those lines, I have a goal I try to hold by every semester, which is to read only for pleasure on my commute, and not use it for grading papers, last-minute lesson planning, etc. We'll see how well that goes.

Stiger05 said:
Other than that, I'm just gonna go with the flow and see where life takes me

I find that beyond admirable. I would like a life more like that. 2013 is probably going to be the most "shoulder to the wheel" year of my entire life...but I know this going in.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to create a new Twitter account for a uni project and IT WILL NOT LET ME FINISH. Gah.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
The writer's conference addition is a good one. Have to add that to my list. I went to one last year, and it was fantastic for motivation.

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
Writing goals:

-Finish my MFA dissertation novel, hopefully by the end of January

-Rewrite my very patchwork WIP

-Revise my MFA dissertation novel

-Obtain representation

-Make significant progress on my MA dissertation novel

-Attend some SCBWI meets again

Other goals:

-Gain some control over my weight

-Find some form of gainful employment (or at least employment that counts for something on a CV)

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you had a good New Year's.

On Saturday I had to put my cat to sleep. :( I am so sad, I had her for 16 years and loved her so much. This is a hard adjustment; I miss her terribly.

On a happier note, I like this goals idea. Here's mine:
-Complete a first and second draft of my current WIP
-Start a blog and connect with other writers
-Attend a writers' conference
-Get in shape
-Travel

Last edited:

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry about your cat - mine lived 21years, and had to be put to sleep in mid-2009.

Got another cat about 3 months after my baby died. Just like people, it is never the same furry little personality, but this one helped me heal a lot. Current cat is 5yrs old. I cannot believe I've had her almost 4 yrs now. Time flies!

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
First off, so sorry Nightowling about your cat :(

My goals:

1. To be as funny as Kansas
2. To smell the flowers, blow out the candles when my kids are driving me bonkers
3. Read Kansas' novel and several other novels from amazing writer friends of mine (omg, Kansas, you're in my list twice! lol)
4. Finish my revisions and start querying my novel
5. Write my next novel
5. Move with my family to Puerto Rico
6. Lose a few lbs.
7. Start a horror movie blog
8. To remember just how precious life is and show my family everyday how much I love them.

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
New Goals!
1. Finish first draft of sequel and edit--submit by the end of this year at the latest.
2. Write at least one short story for publication.
3. Read!
4. Be more active here. . . I go to another forum which I like, but I spent more time here during the holidays because we were very slow at work and I feel more comfortable now!
5. Think of a "mainstream" book I can write so I can try to get an agent.
6. Decide if getting an agent is really even something to strive for anymore.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
:headdesk:

So I just had a thought about Talented...you know, the book I just finished the second draft of...and how maybe I should be changing it. Except it would require a huge rewrite. And I'm not positive it would end up being better for it.

I feel nauseous.
:headdesk:

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! Much appreciated.

parumpdragon - So sorry about your own furry loved one. I'm glad your new cat brought you happiness. Eventually I will get another.

JSSchley - Best wishes for a long life for your kitty :)

mellymel - Make that blog! I will read it.

Last edited:

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
Really sorry about your kitty, Nightowling. I know how devastating it can be to lose a beloved pet, especially one you've had for 16 years.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
First,hello,everyone!

Nightowling,I am so sorry about your kitty.:Hug2:

I love the NY Goals!

Here's mine:

1. Self publish my YA novels. I have about six done. Why not try with at least one of them?

2. Get better at contemporary YA. I had a United Nations cast for a ultra exclusive school set in Atlanta(Gossip Girl meets Beverly Hills 90210) and somehow a werewolf made its way into the school. Being a horror writer by nature,I always seem to do this. I am going to try my best to write this genre.

Without werewolves.

3.Handle social media better. It's a LOT but I understand now that when you are a self pubber,you're also PR as well.

4. Come to this forum more often. I do write YA,so I'd like to engage more with fellow YA writers.

Best of luck on your goals and writing,ya'll!

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Hugz Nightowling. Sorry about your loss. Hugz parumpdragon too.

I've been showing various kitten pics to wife for a year now, still a glare. "Don't even think about it." :rant:

Kitty, good luck. Yeah, why not? (But very tedious, as far as I've read on the self pubbie boards.)

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score

I've been showing various kitten pics to wife for a year now, still a glare. "Don't even think about it." :rant:

Kitty, good luck. Yeah, why not? (But very tedious, as far as I've read on the self pubbie boards.)

Good lord,yes.

I have a deep respect for self pubbed writers. I read their posts and was in complete awe. But you gotta grind in life. I'm willing to try.

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score

Well, cats are a commitment if you're going to have them and treat them well. And they can live up to 21 years [That's basically a kid in college age] ;)

It can be a lot. And cats have different temperments and social needs.

New cat is very demanding for attention, and needs to be with someone most of the time. Very loving though, and very gentle. Just a big love bug. :)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I'm thinking of self-pubbing my short stories if I get enough confidence in them. I'm enjoying the one I started yesterday, but I guess we just have to wait and see what happens, right?

Also, can you have CPs for short stories?

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Nightowling, so sorry about your cat!

I have three, all from the same litter. They'll be five-years-old in April and I dread every birthday, haha. I want them to stay young and with me forever. All three sleep in the bed with me, and one in particular is, well, I like to say I'm his favorite. I don't know what I'll do when they cross the rainbow bridge.

P-Jay

My name is PJ.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I figure I'd post in here, since I'm no longer a teen at 23...

Just finished my first draft of New Adult. I figure the story itself is slightly closer to YA than adult, though I'm having a little trouble drawing the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.