Feelings on very new agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me with this, because I really don't know what to do.

I took part in #Pitmad yesterday, and received 4 requests/favourites from agents. 2 of them I have just sent my book to, 1 I've discounted because she hasn't sold a thing and she's been an agent for a while (plus AW thread isn't too positive). But number 4 seems very nice - only she's very new. She's an associate agent at a good agency, and also a soon-to-be-published author.

My question is, do I send my book to her and risk it (because I'm not doing too well in the query stakes, and any request seems good at the moment, and she seems sorted) or do I not because she is unproven?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If she's part of a good agency, then you're good to go. The nice thing about new agents at good agencies is that editors trust them because of the agency, but they have a lot more room on their plate for new clients. Also, if you're one of their first clients, you get a lot more personal attention.

Now, I have seen some newer agents at good agencies not last very long, so it's not like it's 100% golden all the time, but more often than not, it's an excellent opportunity.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I second Sage's comments.
New agents at reputable agencies are a very good bet as they need to acquire a stable of clients asap and start earning for the agency.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Thirding Sage. I'd take it, so if and when they offer rep, talk to them. Ask them about their experience, who might be overseeing them, and their plans.

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
If she's part of a good agency, then you're good to go.

I think that's mainly true IF the agents at this agency collaborate a great deal, share connections, etc. It's a question you should ask this agent if you have the offer phone call. I've heard that some agencies are quite competitive internally.

Also, be careful of new agents who take on a ton of new clients all at once, and then get overwhelmed.

And I know it's hard to look at it this way NOW, but don't settle for an agent just because the query stakes aren't going well. If I could do it again, I'd spend another month refining the query instead of wasting a year with a bad agent (not to say this particular new agent is bad, just commenting on your thinking there).

Status
Not open for further replies.