Writing multiple genres

WhitePawn

Registered
Reaction score
So, I've been writing for 10yrs and I am only recently engaging in the submission process. 2 months, 2 agents queried...for the Epic Fantasy.

I currently have two books I believe are submission worthy. One is Epic Fantasy (intended to series), the other is Literary Fiction (stand alone). These are not I'm-so-excited-I-just-finished-an-entire-book! works. Been there, done that, just never thought anything was good enough for submission until now.

My research suggests that finding a single agent to cover both will be difficult. Suggestions on how to present both books to agents would be welcome. I get that the process is slow. It's the equivalent of submitting a single job application every 1-2 months. Even so, I have two books, each of which seems to require an entirely separate set of agents.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
You might consider querying the manuscripts separately to the right target agents at houses that represent both genres. That way, if the agent who signs you only reps one of your genres, they might work with another agent who could rep the other.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'd start with those few agents who rep both fantasy and literary fiction. Then, as Quickbread suggests, I'd move on the agents at agencies with agents that deal in both genres.

Best of luck!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
You might also consider which genre you would prefer to write long term. If you are looking to write mostly epic fantasy or mostly literary I'd focus on the agents who are in just that genre. Especially if the agent works with other agents (in house or wherever) they might be able to place books out of their area of expertise, but you want them to love and have the contacts for the genre you prefer to write in.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
QueryTracker shows 84 agents who represent both literary fiction and fantasy. I'd start with those.

I think you should also start with one book. Pick the one that seems most commercially appealing and write a great query for it, and once you've got an agent's interest you can mention the other MS.

Also, I'm a bit confused by the idea of querying as being like a single job application ever few months. I think it's more like 10-20 applications every few months. Are you sending out just one query at a time?

(And, although I know it doesn't feel that way, I don't think it's helpful to think of yourself as applying for a job. It's more like you're applying for a partner, or even an employee. Your agent works with/for you. You have to work hard to recruit the right person, sure, but you're not applying for a job. I don't think you want to go into the relationship with that attitude).

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I look at it as my manuscript applying for a job. If they don't love it and want to hire it, they won't even be talking to me.

Maybe it's more like picking the right day care provider, except the provider is driving your kid to others who they think might want to take good care of it. Open adoption?