Does it work differently in the USA from the UK?

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine is querying in the UK and he was saying the submissions requirements consisted of a synopsis and 50 pages.

I thought the first thing you send is just a query email to most agents and then they'll ask for a synopsis and 50 pages (or the whole thing) if they're interested?

Have I misunderstood or have I been reading more about American submission guidelines because this site is more U.S. centric??

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Your friend is correct. Submission requirements to most UK agents are substantially different to those of US agents. You appear to have been looking at US submission requirements.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I've had UK agents only ask for a query initially (Zeno, for one) and US agents ask for a "50 plus synopsis" straight up (Foundry, Fine Print, Sterling Lord, some Writer's House agents).

The only difference could be in the AMOUNT of queries they get? If the US agencies get a lot more and often not in the right genre, it probably behooves them to answer from a query only.

GigiF

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's more an individual preference thing than continental. Guess that's why it's SO important to read the subs outline carefully eh?
: