Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #2376
profen4
Monkeys are evil

profen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admiration
Congrats on the books! Will have to check them out.

Hope you have lots of success!
Old 06-14-2014, 12:24 AM   #2377
JustSarah
Go For Apprentice

JustSarah is well-respected
I seem to get the most enjoyment from writing middle grade. I tried getting myself to do New Adult, but my characters always seem to default to MG these days.
Nymphs Of Winter Fire -- Chapter Book Set -- Second Draft
Song Of Lost Youth -- YA Cyberpunk -- Second Draft

Skull-Fairy Dance
Character Illustrations
JustSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:05 AM   #2378
meltong
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

meltong is on a distinguished road
MG has all the fun, in my opinion. I like the sense of wonder that goes with writing MG.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #2379
wlwashburn

wlwashburn is on a distinguished road
I agree with you, Meltong, it's the wonder factor. Whenever I think about the kind of book I want to write, I remember the themes that really grabbed me when I was 10-13. For me maybe it's just the nostalgia that kicks in later in life!

(I'm new here. )
wlwashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 AM   #2380
Supergirlofnc
New fish; Swimming with the current

Supergirlofnc has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlwashburn View Post
I agree with you, Meltong, it's the wonder factor. Whenever I think about the kind of book I want to write, I remember the themes that really grabbed me when I was 10-13. For me maybe it's just the nostalgia that kicks in later in life!

(I'm new here. )

Nice to meet you wlwashburn! When I finally sat down and thought about when I enjoyed reading the most, it was during those years. And their so many good books to read, and they cover so many different genres!

TWITTER

Webpage
Supergirlofnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:50 AM   #2381
Fullon_v4.0
Shard Knight

Fullon_v4.0 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlwashburn View Post

(I'm new here. )
Yes! Totally the nostalgia factor...that's what makes it so much fun! It's the thin line between childish innocence and teenage identity issues.

$0.99 promo extended to the end of the month!
https://www.facebook.com/shardknights
Wanna see what a DJ/Otaku/Writer thinks about?
http://rtdriver90.tumblr.com/
Fullon_v4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #2382
BookmarkUnicorn
does believe in fairies

BookmarkUnicorn is on a distinguished road
I've always loved books like the Ramona series because of their timeless appeal. I think the best of MG stories all share this ability to feel like they could be talking about the reader themselves or someone they know.
Of course, that could just be the nostalgia talking for me to (I just joined, hello )
BookmarkUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:02 AM   #2383
Supergirlofnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookmarkUnicorn View Post
I've always loved books like the Ramona series because of their timeless appeal. I think the best of MG stories all share this ability to feel like they could be talking about the reader themselves or someone they know.
Of course, that could just be the nostalgia talking for me to (I just joined, hello )
Hi BookmarkUnicorn. It's nice to meet you! As an aside, when I was younger, I used to collect unicorn bookmarks. I bought one each time I bought a book (:

TWITTER

Webpage
Old 07-13-2014, 01:43 AM   #2384
BookmarkUnicorn
does believe in fairies

I loved unicorn bookmarks. All and all I'm still a big unicorn fan, call it a habit I guess . I'm not sure if the theme is as popular in children's books now? Hm.
I still collect bookmarks when I can even though I have a kindle to. They're almost an art form in their own way, I think.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #2385
killdeer
practical experience, FTW

killdeer is well-respected
Quote:
I loved unicorn bookmarks. All and all I'm still a big unicorn fan, call it a habit I guess . I'm not sure if the theme is as popular in children's books now? Hm.
I still collect bookmarks when I can even though I have a kindle to. They're almost an art form in their own way, I think.
Used to be, all a book needed to hook me was a unicorn or a cat If I couldn't find those, a dog or a horse would do in a pinch. I don't think unicorns are ever really out of style. It's not always obvious what to do with them, though. Their mythology don't let them slot as neatly into the enemy or ally role as some creatures (dragons, for example).
killdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #2386
BookmarkUnicorn
does believe in fairies

True, but myth gave them kind of a bad hand I figure, they were tied up and done away with for their horn half of the time. I'm sure a dragon's fire keeps their teeth and scales from being collectables.
I guess with creatures in fantasy, most of all MG, it's not so much what they are as what their character is that matters. I would say girls liking anything horse like was just a stereotype if I could, but I'm a grown up example of that and know some in the next gen are very much the same .
Cats are so common place but mysterious in their way, it's no wonder they feature so much in books to...
Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #2387
killdeer

killdeer is well-respected
Quote:
True, but myth gave them kind of a bad hand I figure, they were tied up and done away with for their horn half of the time. I'm sure a dragon's fire keeps their teeth and scales from being collectables.
True, but OTOH dragons get it from both sides! Unicorns only get harassed by the bad guys. Dragons get killed by the good guys (if they're evil), or made to serve the bad guys (if they're neutral), or get tamed and made to carry around the hero (if they're good, with bonus points if they're telepathic).

Quote:
I guess with creatures in fantasy, most of all MG, it's not so much what they are as what their character is that matters. I would say girls liking anything horse like was just a stereotype if I could, but I'm a grown up example of that and know some in the next gen are very much the same .
Cats are so common place but mysterious in their way, it's no wonder they feature so much in books to...
Unicorns seem to have some of that same mystery. You're as likely to catch a glimpse of one, or have a single pivotal encounter with one, as you are to have a unicorn buddy to pal around with. Horses... horses are a fantasy of freedom and power and unconditional love all in one big bundle...no wonder that speaks to girls.

I strolled through a kids' art show recently. To the extent that it's possible to tell, every horse was drawn by a girl, and every car was drawn by a boy. I think cars are the socially acceptable boy's version of a horse fantasy.
killdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #2388
BookmarkUnicorn
does believe in fairies

Dragons are fun, but I love when they are the more chatty types like in the Dealing With Dragons series, more than say, the aloft D&D dragon types.

I don't want to say that it's just a girl thing, as boys love horses to, but I think on some level the horse love is about a memory in our collected history as humans where horses were basically our cars and our pets rolled into one . As horse books go I was always more of a Black Beauty fan than a Black Stallion series fan. Something about the subject matter of horse racing seemed more like a boy theme, even though I didn't care about the MC being a boy or a girl.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #2389
Supergirlofnc

Quote:
Dragons are fun, but I love when they are the more chatty types like in the Dealing With Dragons series, more than say, the aloft D&D dragon types.

I don't want to say that it's just a girl thing, as boys love horses to, but I think on some level the horse love is about a memory in our collected history as humans where horses were basically our cars and our pets rolled into one . As horse books go I was always more of a Black Beauty fan than a Black Stallion series fan. Something about the subject matter of horse racing seemed more like a boy theme, even though I didn't care about the MC being a boy or a girl.
I wish I still had my bookmark collection. I kept it for so long, but after many moves, I think it finally got donated! Hopefully, it made its way to some young bookmark collector. I still love bookmarks though. And I guess we have similar tastes because I wrote a horse and a dragon into my book (:

TWITTER

Webpage
Old 07-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #2390
BookmarkUnicorn
does believe in fairies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirlofnc View Post
I wish I still had my bookmark collection. I kept it for so long, but after many moves, I think it finally got donated! Hopefully, it made its way to some young bookmark collector. I still love bookmarks though. And I guess we have similar tastes because I wrote a horse and a dragon into my book (:
It's hard to beat the classic animal characters . I'm mainly getting my feet wet with middle grade reading again to better understand writing it. I skipped many years.

-It will be a long time till I find my abode, Here I am on Man's road-
Old 07-26-2014, 01:56 AM   #2391
Supermarine_Spitfire

Supermarine_Spitfire is on a distinguished road
Can someone clarify something basic for me: middle-grade is 8-12, am I correct? And while pitching to an children's agent, would specifically mentioning '8-12' be a good pitch? Or would something like '8-10' or maybe '10-12' work better? Or does it ultimately not matter?

Another question: 'Middle-grade' is essentially an American term, correct? Can I use this term with UK agents? Or do they just prefer the ages?

Sorry if it seems like I'm nitpicking - just trying to perfect this covering letter!
Supermarine_Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #2392
CheG

CheG has a spectacular auraCheG has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermarine_Spitfire View Post
Another question: 'Middle-grade' is essentially an American term, correct? Can I use this term with UK agents? Or do they just prefer the ages?

Sorry if it seems like I'm nitpicking - just trying to perfect this covering letter!
OMG! That's a good question! There is a British agent I'm dying to query who reps one of my favorite British children's authors.

Website
Gallery
Facebook
Carmine Rojas available now
Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.
CheG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:13 PM   #2393
Stylo
wall gazer extraordinaire

Stylo is well-respected
Hi, I'm a Brit and queried in the US and UK/Europe with a middle grade book. I referred to it as middle grade throughout and would say that this is a universally recognised term. In the end I landed an American agent who lives in France -- the world is truly becoming a global village!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #2394
RuthD
careful...you'll end up in my novel

RuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Stylo, that's good to know.

Supermarine Spitfire, I will weigh in on one part of your question:
If your target age range falls somewhere between 8 and 12, I'd just say MG. Don't limit yourself unnecessarily when making an initial contact. You want to appeal to as broad an age range as possible; the agent or editor will draw their own conclusions concerning the best way to position your books.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:10 PM   #2395
melanieconklin
figuring it all out

melanieconklin is on a distinguished road
I think middle grade is pretty universal in publishing. However, I realized recently that when I say "I write middle grade," to other humans, they think I mean something very different. As in, not "high" or "low" grade, but middle...Ie: not that great. LOL! So, now I tell people that I write "for readers 8-12, in middle school grades," and that seems to get the point across pretty well. Then they also perk up if they have kids that age.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #2396
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi folks. Here's a bit of an odd request. I have a librarian/teacher looking for this:

Quote:
A middle school student is interested in an alternate history-science fiction novel, set during the Cold War, focusing primarily around what would have happened if the Cuban Missile Crisis had not been averted.
That Cuban Missile Crisis thing is pretty specific. Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions? Please and thank you!

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #2397
Supergirlofnc

Honestly, it sounds really familiar to me. It's possible I read about a book like that when looking into alternate history kid's books, but I can't place a title. It makes me think such a book does exist, though! Sorry, I can't be more help.

TWITTER

Webpage
Old 10-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #2398
heza
New kid, but determined!

heza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudge
This was the only one I could find. I'm not sure it fits:

http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-Todd-Strasser/dp/0763655341/ref=asap_B000AQ51AI_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=141347 8564&sr=1-2

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

heza is offline   Reply With Quote