• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! The more I hear about the company, the more I'm itching to work with them. I've even heard wonderful things from the readers on blogs and message boards. Plus I love the conversations in the cafe (I just raked in some yummy recipes I'm dying to try later).

Oh! Btw, my editor (wow, I like the sound of that lol) is Laurie who sent the request.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Bloody hell, these guys sound fantastic, and I love their site. I just submitted my YA novel. Fingers crossed for the duration of the 10 weeks wait!

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like everything is going cool with this place! Wanted to wish you all good luck!

Aprylwriter

i am dragon. roar.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
KiwiAuthor,

I received an email from an Editor named Imogen Howson; my novel is young adult horror/science fiction novel. I have about a month left to go before she'll send me a response on the full.

-Apryl

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Gary, what was the reason for the resubmit?

Eve (editor at Samhain) was straight up when she emailed to request a full. If they accept my story, I'll have to cut my manuscript in to two books to meet their maximium work count (120 k) It's a series, and the plot allows for this so no drama.

It's seems to me, these guys are really open to working with authors, if they see a story has potential and the author is willing to put in the effort and make change.

Are you in a similar situation?

Last edited:

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Crikey! I don't know! I just received a wee note asking me to resubmit the chapters, along with a five page synopsis. No explanations. I assumed that it meant they wouldn't read the submission unless accompanied by a detailed synopsis, ( I had only sent a very brief outline as usual) But now I don't know.

I thought it was mighty nice of them to let me know, though, rather then just toss the blooming thing in the bin because it didn't meet the guidelines. They seem like good guys, as well as good business heads.

What do you mean by a work count 120k, btw, is it a file size? Does it have to do with e-books? I have no idea what that means, eek! Help me! LOL.
My novel is part one of a trilogy and has a word count of133,000 or so. Does that mean anything in relation to what you're discussing?

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
BTW guys, any further updates on what they're like at the other end of the rainbow? Is the contract considered good? Do they pay on time? Are people happy with distribution, reviews etc? Dieing to know.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
120K is the word count. 120K=120,000 words
Oh no... oh, I'm gutted. That means I'd have to shave about 13 thousand words off of volume one and about sixty thousand off volume two. Oh, they won't even want to look at the manuscripts at that rate, it'd just be too much work for them to take on.

Poo. I feel very blue now.

Robyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rgporter.net
I am not with this publisher but all those I know who are have been extremely happy. I've not heard of any payments not arriving on time, they work well with their authors, the covers are nice and they have a fairly strong following. In all the other loops i'm part of there are many authors who are pub'd with them. I know I would accept a contract if I was offered one.

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Well they only requested my full last week and because I let them know I had an offer from another publisher the editor was happy to make it a priority but because of our holiday this week in the U.S. she said it would still take about a week. So we will see.

I've only heard great things about them and they've been very cool to me so far!

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Crikey! I don't know! I just received a wee note asking me to resubmit the chapters, along with a five page synopsis. No explanations. I assumed that it meant they wouldn't read the submission unless accompanied by a detailed synopsis, ( I had only sent a very brief outline as usual) But now I don't know.

I thought it was mighty nice of them to let me know, though, rather then just toss the blooming thing in the bin because it didn't meet the guidelines. They seem like good guys, as well as good business heads.

Hi Gary,

FWIW, I initially sent in a 2 page blurb and was asked by Marty to resubmit my chapters with a detailed synopsis, so I think it could be a usual occurrence. I agree though that it was nice of them to ask for a resubmission instead of tossing it! Awesome group of editors! :)

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Gary, sorry, that should have read 120K word (not work) count--Moondaughter is right (thanks). Their printing model prevents them publishing anything larger than this. That said, Eve made it clear that there was some wriggle room. I also suspect, their editing staff are more than competent in helping cut 13k out of a 130 plus k manuscript. Don't sweat it.

Smlgr8, did I hear your right! Your editor agreed to make reading your manuscript a priority because you had fulls with other publishers? Wow, good people indeed. And Ladyrae and gary, you're right about the resub. How many publishers do you know who explicitly state, we toss submissions unless they follow our guidelines to the letter.

Frankly, folks like Samhain deserve to make it big, in my view.

Jersy Chick, you can not know how reassuring it is to hear this. So often as an author, you feel as if you have to be impossibly perfect. Not saying we shouldn't set the bar high for ourselves :)

Robyn, this is comforting to hear from a published author.

Last edited:

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
kiwiauthor; Smlgr8 said:
Yes, she did indeed :)

She could come back with a really quick, "go ahead and take the OTHER offer", LOL, but you never know.

In any event, even if it turns out that way I would definitely submit to them again.

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of edits for them now. My editor has little smiley faces in some of her comments (the ones pointing out my apparent blonde moments in the ms) if the screwups I made don't make me laugh, the smilies do... :D

Don't you hate when they point out to you what you failed to notice yourself? For something I submitted a so-called revision on, LOL, to another publisher I am contracted with I completely screwed up the chapter numbering. I noticed AFTER I already sent it to my editor of course. :cry: