Class Action Lawsuit Against Purina

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Finally! The lawsuit is against the dog food Beneful, however if one type of food by Purina is under attack chances are other brands like Friskies will be under investigation too since Friskies-brand cat food has killed cats as well. If this doesn't convince you of being wary of Purina, I don't know what will.

Link.

Earlier this month the website Top Class Actions reported that a class action lawsuit has been filed against Nestle Purina Petcare Company alleging that its Beneful dog food includes toxic substances which are capable of killing dogs.

The more than 3,000 complaints against Beneful “show consistent symptoms, including stomach and related internal bleeding, liver malfunction or failure, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, weight loss, seizures, bloating, and kidney failure."

Lucido alleges in his suit that Beneful Dog Food contains propylene glycol, which is “an automotive component that is a known animal toxin and is poisonous to cats and dogs.”

The suit also alleges that the dog food includes mycotoxins, which are “a group of toxins produced by fungus that occurs in grains, which are a principle ingredient in Beneful.”

A veterinarian who examined the dog determined that it was suffering from internal bleeding in its stomach and the liver was also malfunctioning, which the veterinarian said was “consistent with poisoning.”

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I feed both of my dogs Purina beneful. I saw and read this story two days ago and was left unconcerned. I saw nothing to suggest Purina caused the dogs' health issues.

Dogs have food changes, dogs get sick, the two happen often in a very large population and will co-occur non-causally. Unless he 100% supervised both dogs he cannot rule out another cause. The time between the food change and the health issues is not even very clear.

What is missing: disproportionate numbers of outcomes like these epidemiological linked to Purina, discovery of toxins in Purina, etc. I know how Purina is made, I know exactly what is in it. To be toxic there would have to be a large scale adulteration or fraud that I deem unlikely and no more a risk with Purina than any large brand kibble of similar manufacture.

I eat products containing propylene glycol myself in diet sodas, iced cookies and so forth and agree with its rating as GRAS (generally regarded as safe).

So, yeah, I continue to feed Purina to 2 of the 3 most important individuals in my life (the other being my Mother).

I also use Swiffer (remember the great Swiffer dog killing panic of 2009?), but not imported jerky treats (to be safe not any jerky treat), and not rawhide. I subscribe to the mottos: 1) the plural of anecdote is not data, and 2) trust but verify.

Last edited:

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's your decision then, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and not feed my animals potentially toxic foods. It's pretty odd that people can have many animals 3+ and they all die horrible deaths after eating Purina food. That's not a coincidence to me. A class-action law-suit is pretty serious, and if there really is/was an automotive component in the food I should think that would deter people from buying Purina--at the very least Beneful.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Only 3000? Isn't their customer base in the hundreds of thousands? Maybe even millions?

And Purina has been quick to act recall food in the past. If there actually was antifreeze in the food they'd have voluntarily taken care of it.

Personally, I'd be quicker to distrust something from a website named "Government Slaves" than panic that Purina is trying to kill our pets.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, that's your decision then, but I'd rather err on the side of caution and not feed my animals potentially toxic foods.

I deem that it is not toxic. That is were we differ. Not our willingness to kill our pets--an implication I find deeply insulting. The so called toxin is something I personally eat on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
The so called toxin is something I personally eat on a daily basis.

You eat antifreeze on a daily basis? Right. It's like debating religion here.

"Yet because of its proven ability to cause a serious type of blood disease in some animals — Heinz body anemia — propylene glycol has been banned by the FDA for use in cat food. But unfortunately, it can still be used to make dog food."

This ingredient should not be in dog food. Period.

Propylene glycol is probably safe — in small, occasional doses.

Yet unlike most humans who are inclined to vary their diets with each meal, dogs are typically fed the same food on a continuous basis — meal-after-meal, every day for a lifetime.

For this important reason, pet owners may wish to consider the potential long term consequences of including this or any other non-nutritive additive in any food when making a purchase.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
No it is not a religious issue, I am using facts,

For example: Propylene glycol is not in antifreeze, that is ethylene glycol, which is not a GRAS chemical. Propylene glycol is only in special petsafe versions of non-toxic antifreeze.

What I do eat is Betty Crocker icing, and Edy's ice cream, with lashings of propylene glycol. You probably eat is sometimes too but have not looked at the ingredient list and seen it.

Propylene glycol is deemed safe in the amounts it currently exists in in our food and in dog food. A dog could eats fifty times as much and still be at no risk.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
p.s. my mention of Swiffer was not accidental. The 'Swiffer kills dogs' campaign was over the same chemical family, with the exact same error about anti-freeze, and was incorrect for the same reasons. It was this event that made me go and do my own research on this chemical about 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
From Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/beneful.asp

What gets me is people who know nothing about chemistry, see a foreign name in the ingredient list, go do a Google search, discover its similar to a chemical used in the manufacture of lawn chairs, they get all panicy, start a smear campaign across the internet which eventually forces the company to remove the product which might have been nothing more than a thickening agent in their pudding that boiled harmlessly away in the process and never did exist in the final.product.

Last edited:

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Mod Note:
Gently, everyone. In situations like this where there are health concerns, what should be posted are facts. Concerns should be backed up with as firm a grounding in the facts of the situation as possible. Links should be provided on all sides of issues like this.

And to be clear about this. RYFW on this board means that we do not casually impugn other members care for their animals.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I don't feed my dog Beneful, but my choice has nothing to do with the idea that it's poisonous. It's just not what she likes.

You don't make money by killing your customers. It's a pretty sound rule of business. Purina wants to make food that keeps dogs healthy, because healthy dogs live longer and therefore consume more food. There is no motivation for them to use poisonous ingredients, nor for them to routinely manufacture food that would knowingly endanger even a small percentage of dogs. People don't buy dog food for dead dogs.

Purina is probably the most popular dog food brand in the US, so a few thousand people saying that their dog got sick, and he has eaten Purina food sounds likely to be correlation, not causation. If the food were the cause, I would expect FAR more cases, simply based on the size of their customer base. I have heard similar complaints about Beneful and other Purina foods going back at least three years. How many bags of food have been consumed over that time? And 3000 animals have gotten sick?

It just doesn't make logical sense from any angle.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
You don't make money by killing your customers. It's a pretty sound rule of business. Purina wants to make food that keeps dogs healthy, because healthy dogs live longer and therefore consume more food. There is no motivation for them to use poisonous ingredients, nor for them to routinely manufacture food that would knowingly endanger even a small percentage of dogs. People don't buy dog food for dead dogs.

Exactly. And this applies across the entire animal industry. Dead animals are worth nothing to a seller (in fact, they are a cost) and they certainly don't generate any income for vendors of consumables (pet food, toys, vet care) who depend primarily on repeat customers. Live healthy animals are in everyone's economic interests. "Greed caused dead animals!" doesn't make any economic sense at any level.

When there actually is an issue (like the melamine disaster of a few years back) some bright biochemist rather quickly uncovers it.

Purina is probably the most popular dog food brand in the US, so a few thousand people saying that their dog got sick, and he has eaten Purina food sounds likely to be correlation, not causation. If the food were the cause, I would expect FAR more cases, simply based on the size of their customer base. I have heard similar complaints about Beneful and other Purina foods going back at least three years. How many bags of food have been consumed over that time? And 3000 animals have gotten sick?

There are around 45 million dogs in the U.S. At any given moment, about 10% of those are old dogs, commonly with old-dog problems... let's say about a quarter of the old dogs are tottering internally. At an educated guess, another 1% or so are dogs with some other ailment pending (contagious disease, parasite, or inherited disorder).

So there are at least a million dogs in the U.S. who could potentially experience illness or death at any moment. How many of those 3000 dogs were among them? How many of those 3000 were actually 100% healthy before? So, yeah, it's most likely coincidence.

As to one of the comments in a link above, dog food can get wet (accidentally) in transit -- it's the reality of shipping a bulk product in bags. And then it molds, just like any other dry food exposed to moisture. But that is not a manufacturing defect. Bluntly, an owner should have better sense than to feed moldy dog food -- do they feed their kids moldy bread??

[I use between 5 and 12 tons -- yes, tons -- of kibble per year. I used to manufacture custom dog food. I could go on and on and on...]

Incidentally, class action suits are very rarely for the benefit of the public. Most of the time they're a juicy target some lawyer has identified. Typically the lawyer takes half the settlement money, one particular plaintiff gets the rest, and all the members of the class get a token settlement, commonly a coupon. Two people get rich and costs/prices go up for everyone else, cuz that settlement money doesn't just come from the air.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Yet unlike most humans who are inclined to vary their diets with each meal, dogs are typically fed the same food on a continuous basis — meal-after-meal, every day for a lifetime.

It's odd to me that people feed the same food for every meal for an animal's whole life. For the fish, I switch between a few brands of prepared food, and mix it up with fresh or frozen food. There's always a risk when using a single brand that it won't be meeting all their needs in some way, whether it's a build-up of toxins or not containing a certain ingredient they need.

The solution to pets being at a disadvantage due to lack of variation in their diet is to make sure their diet does vary. It's not to switch to a different brand, but still feed the same food every day.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Even if a dogs diet varies from flavor-to-flavor, as our dogs get their food switched around, there's still the basic formula in every flavor that consists of potentially toxic substances.

If propylene glycol isn't allowed in cat food, it shouldn't be allowed in dog food either. In high doses, propylene glycol can cause kidney damage, liver damage, stomach upset etc. The liver is one organ responsible for coagulation factors; in end stage liver disease hemorrhaging is common. How the dogs died is consistent with the poisoning.

If I made a batch of brownies and put a teaspoon of my cats poo in the mix because it would help add moisture and then baked it--since baking it will kill any germs--would you still eat it when it's done? I doubt it. Same way P.G. shouldn't be added to foods. One could say, well in moderation, but this is a synthetic substance that is not natural for human or animal consumption. Moderation on P.G. isn't the same as telling someone to eat sugar in moderation, because sugar is natural to the body and the body runs on it. Poison is still poison, whether in small amounts or large.

I'm not inclined to believe these are coincidental deaths. My friend bought Purina for her barn cats--mind you she has 18+ (I want to say 21) And more than half got sick from the food. There were piles of vomit [consisting of the recently eaten food) all over and unfortunately one cat died. One became lethargic, but she was able to nurse it back to health. It's not like one cat got sick and one could say the she got into some type of poison or was already ill--no, almost all (at least 12 cats) became ill after eating the same food. How could all of them have thrown up the food or gotten sick on it, and after a diet-change, all the cats became well again? That's not a coincidence.

The FDA sent warning letters to Purina because one of their facilities was not meeting proper standards and was violating FDA-set regulations. Source 1, Source 2

Based upon certain criteria in 21 CFR 113, low acid foods may be adulterated within the meaning of section 402(a)(4), [21 USC § 342(a)(4)] in that they have been prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby they may have become contaminated with filth, or whereby they may have been rendered injurious to health.

Take one facility not conforming to FDA regulations and take a couple cans or a couple bags of cat food that were a bad batch--and boom, you could have dead animals. Which could also be why there's not as many cases as one would suspect in food poisoning.

You get a facility not using the correct temperatures in canning its food and you're going to have a problem. We can our own vegetables and we make sure that each batch goes into the pressure cooker for the proper amount of time, the proper pressure, and the proper temperature etc. Occasional a jar will unseal and it has to be tossed.

It's like playing Russian Roulette. It might be one death in every 100,000 or more, but I'm not taking the chance of being one of the owners who's animal dies.

There are other reasons for why dogs could be falling ill. A disgruntled employee could be poisoning food for all we know, or the ingredients might not be properly mixed. One dog could be getting 100x the recommended amount of propylene glycol where it concentrated in a batch and another dog could be getting hardly any at all.

Something is wrong somewhere. The problem could only be in one facility, but there's a problem. Regardless of how few cases there are in contrast to how many dogs there are in the world, if dogs are dying off after eating a certain food and necropsy showed the death of the animal is consistent with poisoning than it most likely is.

Last edited:

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Also, to note: when my veterinarian asked what food I feed my cats I told him that I had been trying several brands because I was getting away from Purina after all the bad reviews. He nodded agreeably and told me that holistic was a good way to go, and suggested some brands he thought were the best. So what does that say about his own opinion of Purina?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
If he didn't actually come out and say Purina is poison all that nodding agreeably means nothing to me. Especially since he had something on hand to sell you. I used to serve my dog Beneful but only in rotation with other foods. It wasn't her favorite but since her favorites were the neighbor's chickens (chicken bones didn't seem to hurt her either) , roadkill armadillos and the occasional chocolate cookie she swiped from the grandkids, I tried to push the bagged foods.

She was a Jack Russell and lived to be 14. It was a truck on the highway that took her out, not the toxins. Probably hunting that last armadillo snack--s6

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
There's no particular harm in switching diets occasionally, but don't do it for 'variety'. Dogs prefer a monotonous diet -- they're just like little kids in that they'll grab the new and shiny, but don't like surprises in their bowl either. But dogs, like humans, are pretty durn flexible in their diet requirements -- they can do well on a wide range of very unlike diets, are not terribly susceptible to deficiencies, and are usually fine so long as they get sufficient protein and fat (and calories if they're working dogs).

Most commercial dog food is not so perfectly consistent that it's utterly unvarying nutritionally. It differs slightly from batch to batch as the manufacturer cycles seasonally from one ingredient supplier to the next. This is generally enough to address microdeficiencies all by itself.

If a dog has an issue with being on a given diet for a long time, it's usually because that diet has some deficiency or imbalance. (Or occasionally because the dog has a genetic defect, or due to its specific parasite load, particularly giardia.) Back in the 1970s I'd switch between Purina HiPro and Tuffy's (two nominally identical foods) about every 6 months, because that addressed the problem nicely. The difference appeared to lie in the processing of the soybean meal content (which I'd rather not have in pet food, but back then we didn't have a choice) and therefore in the amino acid balance.

Incidentally, lamb (or milk) as the sole animal protein will cause taurine deficiency in dogs. Just in case you wonder why that dog eating 'non-allergenic' lamb-and-rice itches like crazy all the time... it's not allergy, it's deficiency. MOST so-called 'food allergies' in dogs are in fact due to deficiency or imbalance. Yes, dogs need a little taurine, tho they're not as diet-dependent as cats. Any other animal product provides sufficient taurine.

As a good general rule, the more exotic the diet, the more likely it is to be deficient, often in something you might not expect. I know a commercial breeder who fed all his toy dogs a meticulously planned 'raw' diet and was pleased as hell for 6 or 7 years... when suddenly their toenails started falling off. Turns out this was due to zinc deficiency, which takes years to manifest, but is not uncommon in 'raw' diets. -- Pet dogs have access to human scraps and random dirt/bugs/etc. that kennel dogs generally don't, which is why pet dogs can often get by on a very unbalanced or deficient diet and the owner never knows the deficiency exists.

Price/hype and nutritional quality have little to do with one another. You'd think the most expensive diets would have the most research behind 'em, but it's rather the reverse. In fact one very pricey brand was formulated by astrology, or so the owner says (and consists mostly of mill waste, which explains why dogs fed this crap lose weight and produce mountains of stool). Conversely some 'cheap grocery brands' are very good nutritionally. If a company emphasizes how they're so much better because [mumbo-jumbo] and how everyone else is shit because [they don't do mumbo-jumbo], chances are they're mostly hype. And it's hilarious to see the same product under a different label at double the price... but that's often so with much-hyped diets. A lot of the super-dogfood products are just Diamond Feeds in a tux. (And know where venison in dog food mostly comes from? Roadkill. Montana F&G alone sells 60,000 pounds of roadkilled deer to petfood companies every spring. This is why it has to be listed as an ingredient separate from 'meat' since 'meat' can't legally include roadkill.)

Purina catches a lot of hell, but theirs is the only really trustworthy nutritional research, because their research and marketing departments have clearly never met. (They often assert completely opposite things.) Or at least so it's always been -- don't know if that will continue under Nestle's ownership. Every other company's 'research' that I've seen has proven to have an agenda -- making themselves look good and others look bad, or sometimes geared toward making good nutrition look bad to save on costs. (*cough*Science Diet*cough*)

Be cautious of websites comparing brands or ingredients. At least one such appears to be a shill for a pet food company (funny how only the ingredients they use get a pass), and I have yet to see one that knows what the hell it's talking about.

And as a final laugh... people scream about 'byproducts' in pet food, then pay 4 bucks a pound for tripe. Uh, what do they think 'byproducts' ARE, anyway??

Legal definition:

Meat By-Products: the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in animal food.

IOW, the most nutrient-dense part of the carcass. But only if you pay 10x as much for it. ;)

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Define holistic. To me that just conjures up images of quackery and snake oil.

"In August 2013 Purina recalled some of its Purina ONE Beyond dog food, because of one bag that was found to contain salmonella."

ONE BAG. Sorry, but does that sound like a company that would deliberately continue to sell a product if they knew it had a bad ingredient? Sounds like a responsible one, and one I'd trust over some malcontents trying to make a fast buck by maligning that company.

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I'm not inclined to believe these are coincidental deaths. My friend bought Purina for her barn cats--mind you she has 18+ (I want to say 21) And more than half got sick from the food. There were piles of vomit [consisting of the recently eaten food) all over and unfortunately one cat died. One became lethargic, but she was able to nurse it back to health. It's not like one cat got sick and one could say the she got into some type of poison or was already ill--no, almost all (at least 12 cats) became ill after eating the same food. How could all of them have thrown up the food or gotten sick on it, and after a diet-change, all the cats became well again? That's not a coincidence.

Sniff the bag when you open it. If it smells strongly like a new car tire, or if grease runs out of the bag, don't use it (at least not with cats or puppies). I haven't seen this with Purina, but I have with Mars/Pedigree products (including house brands after Mars bought Doanes, who used to make a lot of very good private label feeds). There is what smells to me like a petroleum contaminant, most likely in the fat component. I'd guess this is a side effect of the growing biodiesel industry and using the same pipes for both rendered fat and final mixed fuel product. It does not affect most larger or adult pets but I have had litters born entirely nonviable in both dogs and cats while eating such a product. I don't feed Mars products anymore.

Don't blame the pet food companies here so much as the ingredient suppliers.... and more, the increasing regulations and NIMBYism that's choked competition in the rendering industry. Used to be everywhere there was a slaughterhouse, there were rendering plants. Lots of competition meant they had to produce a good product. Now there are damn few renderers left in the U.S., and you can't just go elsewhere for ingredients at that volume.

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
There's no particular harm in switching diets occasionally, but don't do it for 'variety'... [snip so reply post isn't long, but you know which I was responding to]

Thanks for this post, Reziac--very informative!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Also, to note: when my veterinarian asked what food I feed my cats I told him that I had been trying several brands because I was getting away from Purina after all the bad reviews. He nodded agreeably and told me that holistic was a good way to go, and suggested some brands he thought were the best. So what does that say about his own opinion of Purina?

I don't kniw what it says about his opinion. I had one vet who tried to push Science Diet because, you know ... Kickbacks. He was paid to recommend it, not because he believed it was the best. In those days, I fed my dog good old fashioned Purina Dog Chow and he wanted me to change. The dog lived to be 14 and we only put him down because of severe hip displasia, but otherwise he was still as active as a puppy.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I don't kniw what it says about his opinion. I had one vet who tried to push Science Diet because, you know ... Kickbacks. He was paid to recommend it, not because he believed it was the best. In those days, I fed my dog good old fashioned Purina Dog Chow and he wanted me to change. The dog lived to be 14 and we only put him down because of severe hip displasia, but otherwise he was still as active as a puppy.

In 1980 the required markup on SciDiet (then sold only through vets) was $8 per large bag. You could not sell it if you didn't agree to the markup. The problem wasn't kickbacks, it was price fixing. (I was the dog food mule for my vet back then, cuz I had a truck and time to go get it. He didn't like the product, but customers demanded it and why turn down the money when they'll just go elsewhere?) Ingredient-wise it's one of the cheapest foods on the market.

A little history from Dr.Morris' biography book (I see it's not on the website, but my late vet had a copy):

SciDiet originated with Dr.Morris (later Morris Animal Foundation). During WW2 there was no surplus meat to feed dogs, so the Guide Dogs (who back then supplied dog food to all their clients) tried feeding a diet based on hides and hooves, cuz that's what they could get that at least looked sorta like animal protein. But dogs eating this were dying of kidney failure -- which was eventually traced to feeding hides and hooves, which messes up kidney function. Ooops.

Dr.Morris became interested and worked up what amounted to a nearly-vegetarian canned diet based around grain and soybean meal (cuz that was the best protein he could get). After much trial and error he found a formula dogs would reliably eat (they won't eat canned food that's too sticky) and stay tolerably healthy. Thus was born Hills Prescription Diet, later to become Science Diet. Initially it was marketed only through veterinarians, but as the pet food market grew they saw no reason why they shouldn't be on the retail shelf too (it wasn't actually an Rx item, after all).

The problem is that after meat once again became available, Hills stuck to the Morris formula, which was usable if meat is scarce but a pretty crappy diet if there's meat to be had.** But you don't mess with success and rising demand through a captive market.

And when Colgate-Palmolive bought SD, everything went out the window except milking the name for profit. The Hills specialty products (still sold thru vets) haven't changed much but now we get retail products like SD's 'weight loss' diet that used peanut hulls as filler (and caused impactions). If you think this is unusual for Colgate-Palmolive, look up the contact lens solution debacle of ca. 1980.

** Dogs don't utilize soy well; it almost might as well not be in the food and can even be a net negative. Soy-based diets gave rise to the myth that nursing is hard on a bitch -- they often go down to skin and bones no matter how much soy-based food they eat. On a soy-free diet, even one that doesn't look very good on the label and while eating less of it, the same bitch will typically gain weight while nursing. -- Also, the excess intestinal mucus stimulated by soy provides a safe haven for parasites, negating the natural immunity most dogs develop against roundworms.

Unlike humans, dogs don't seem to have problems from soy's high level of phytoestrogens, probably because it's poorly absorbed. Not so with flaxseed meal, which is more digestable and has 3x the phytoestrogens of soy (and can cause developmental deformities in the canine fetus, notably open midlines).

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Incidentally, class action suits are very rarely for the benefit of the public. Most of the time they're a juicy target some lawyer has identified. Typically the lawyer takes half the settlement money, one particular plaintiff gets the rest, and all the members of the class get a token settlement, commonly a coupon. Two people get rich and costs/prices go up for everyone else, cuz that settlement money doesn't just come from the air.
I've been the beneficiary of many a class-action suit over the last few years. The most recent one had something to do with Hertz rental cars, which we had last used in about 2006.

Our share of the judgment was $8. Woohoo!

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com

Exactly. And do you realise how much rodent feces and other 'contaminants' are in good-quality cleanly-processed human-grade foods?? To some degree it's unavoidable, cuz you can't sterilize the whole world.

http://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/guidancedocumentsregulatoryinformation/ucm056174.htm
(Note that most are marked "Significance: aesthetic")

This is much lower than the amount in primitively-harvested and processed foods (eg. up to 30% insects and rodent feces in pre-mechanized rice harvests).

Cut the middleman. Eat the rat. :D

(And most folks would never touch honey if they could see it during extraction.)

Last edited: