What are you reading?

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
It's not her best. But if you like it, you really MUST pick up a copy of A Complicated Kindness. It's one of my all-time favourite reads. You'll LOVE it!!

I was debating picking that up. You've just sealed the deal.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Three Days To Dead. And I have to say that was a cracking good read. In fact I'd even go as far as to say a stonking good read. And you can't say better than that! :D Great voice and very vivid action scenes. ChaosTitan I'll be looking out for you next book for sure! :)

analias

Square Training Wheels
Registered
Reaction score
Try also The Handmaid's Tale -- I didn't see the movie, though.

Ooh that's in the "on deck" pile. I've never read anything by Atwood before, looking forward to it.

I'm currently reading The Jungle. Can't believe I haven't before, but I think I shied away because it seemed like all I heard in conjunction with it was "Oh it's all about the meatpacking industry". I feel a bit cheated now, it's about so much more than that.

Oh it's a heart-wrenching book, for sure. But I don't know that I've ever read a book (and I read a lot of varied stuff) where I had a closer look at the changing characters of, well, the characters. I hurt for them like they're my friends. I'm crying on the subway or laughing cautiously at the few bright shining moments and cringing at the foreshadowing embedded in those. I'm not done with it yet but something tells me it's not going to end well. Maybe an ending like A Fine Balance. But what a book! And really? All anyone takes away from it is that their hot dogs are dubious?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Gone to the Dogs, Mary Guterson. Amusing. A Morning for Flamingos, James Lee Burke. Not to my taste, but I see why others like him so much.

ejaycee

knows nothing of your ruined garden
Registered
Reaction score
Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson.

Only up to page nine. Already it's fantastic. It's so real. It's one of those books where the sentences snap. Read it. Now.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm slightly more than halfway through The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Bought another book today: The Sculptor by Gregory Funaro. Never heard of him, but the book looked interesting. I'm getting harder and harder to entertain these days.

Amelia

lost in transliteration
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on my first day of break, so I'm planning on finishing My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk.

Actually, I'm in the library right now, planning on getting books. Stocking up for the winter, you know. My sister gave me a list of books she wants, too :)

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Shiver and Hush, Hush are on an UPS truck right now enroute to my house.

Shiver is actually a Christmas gift, but it might just happen to fall open and be read before I wrap it. :2angel:

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson.

Only up to page nine. Already it's fantastic. It's so real. It's one of those books where the sentences snap. Read it. Now.

I remember liking it a lot, and then nothing she published afterward. This also happened to me with Alice Walker and Barbara Kingsolver. They either get too smart for me, or too pretentious.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Finished Elantris, not sure what I'll read next. I'm certainly not lacking in options, but I really don't want to start another series right now. I'm sure I have another standalone or five somewhere in these piles, though.