Raising my Rates

GiddyUpGo

WIP: Still choosing the right font
Registered
Reaction score
Website
travelbystove.blogspot.com
Hello! I'm hoping to get some advice on how to ask an existing client for a rate increase. I picked up this client on elance about a year and a half ago. I started out writing two 1,000 word articles a week for him at $35 a piece and have since been offered a lot more work, and am now up to 6,000 words a week. It's not great money but it's a lot better than a lot of jobs on elance and it's been very nice to have some spending money. However, I just recently learned that my husband's income is in jeopardy so this little freelancing job of mine might become a much bigger percentage of our income. The problem, of course, is that I need to raise my rate just so I can pay my bills and I'm not sure how to go about asking this.

I do know based on my client's elance history that he has paid up to $50 for the same work. Would it be out of line to request that given what a huge increase that would be? And how do I phrase it? I hate to play the "husband is losing his job" card but it seems more honest than "Hey, give me more money, pal." How would you do it?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
It seems to me you have proven yourself a professional and I don't see why you couldn't say that, as in every profession, at some point a person will increase rates. Though you are self-employed, it's not an unreasonable expectation as your experience and professional credits grow. I don't think you need to give him a background reason, just call it experience.

However, you do need to consider the jump. Though your client has paid up to $50 in the past, clearly he prefers not to. Perhaps a smaller jump now, say to $42-$45 per 1000 words, and then, if you maintain the business with him, another small jump later. You don't want to risk losing the business with a large jump. He found you on elance. He may feel he can find someone else. Also, be prepared to negotiate...and if so, whatever you do, don't bid against yourself. :) If he balks, make him say what he would be prepared to pay, then work upward to a mutually agreeable rate from there.

Good luck!

Last edited:

strictlytopsecret

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
$35 for a 1000 word piece is an extraordinarily low rate. $50 is very, very low, as well.

I'd be very matter of fact about the matter, and let him know your bottom line. Though you started at $35, your schedule is filling up with clients who reimburse at much better rates, and if he would like to retain you, $50 is your minimum.

I wouldn't ever bring in anything about your spouse or personal financial situation. You're a businesswoman. Your client is a business person. If you sound like you're desperate or begging, it casts you in an unprofessional light. You don't want to conduct business that way (even though it may be tempting).

Frankly, I'd cut him loose and focus my efforts elsewhere if he balks. Even for a moment. I'd do it politely, but I'd do it without hesitation.

Good luck with your decision!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I would work for a rate like that when I was a rank beginner. Such rates are killing the freelance profession, and too many writers go along with it.

There are many, many high-paying clients and markets out there, but they won't be around much longer unless writers stop writing for slave wages.

If you're a good writer, go after the markets that pay you what you're worth.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm hoping to get some advice on how to ask an existing client for a rate increase. I picked up this client on elance about a year and a half ago. I started out writing two 1,000 word articles a week for him at $35 a piece and have since been offered a lot more work, and am now up to 6,000 words a week. It's not great money but it's a lot better than a lot of jobs on elance and it's been very nice to have some spending money. However, I just recently learned that my husband's income is in jeopardy so this little freelancing job of mine might become a much bigger percentage of our income. The problem, of course, is that I need to raise my rate just so I can pay my bills and I'm not sure how to go about asking this.

I do know based on my client's elance history that he has paid up to $50 for the same work. Would it be out of line to request that given what a huge increase that would be? And how do I phrase it? I hate to play the "husband is losing his job" card but it seems more honest than "Hey, give me more money, pal." How would you do it?

If you want more money (because either rate is obscene, imo), ask for it - but as a professional.

If I were your client and you did so based on your husband losing his job I wouldn't give you more even if I'd wanted to when you started the convo.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
Don't play the "my husband is losing his job" card, because it's not really a card in this scenario. Rates are based on business decisions, not sympathy (in my experience).

If they've been using you for a year and a half and increased your workload, they must be satisfied with your work. Just ask for the increase.

But as other posters have said, these rates are really low. Maybe it's time to use the experience you've gained to pitch some projects other places.

TheHungryFreelancer

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with all the other advice that you've received. There's nothing wrong with asking for an increase in pay, but realize that your client could say "no" and/or drop you as a writer.

I would definitely start seeking out other clients, as well.

JustGo

Digging through graves of giants
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an Elancer too, and I've raised my rates for virtually every long-running client I've had. The key, in my experience, is getting hired for another job that pays better--even if it's just for a brief amount of time. For example, when I was just getting into the groove of being a freelancer:

Client A and Client B paid me $9/hour.
Deciding to get more ambitious, I took on a job with Client C, who paid $15/hour.
Client C took up too much of my time for me to take care of clients A and B; I told them my rate had moved up to $15 an hour, and that while I really wanted to continue doing business with them, my time had become too limited for me to continue working at my former price.

Client A dropped me (pleasantly--with the promise of getting in touch if she could afford my rate again someday), but Client B gave me the raise.

I've continued to use this pattern over the course of my career and am now up to $25/hour.

If you have the time to spare, I recommend hunting down a new job at a higher rate, then asking for the raise. That way, not all is lost if they decide to drop you, and you'll have some iron in your request.

roundtable

Registered
Reaction score
I find rates per article or per word end up meaning very little.If you're getting $50 per article and it takes three hours to complete one, you need to price accordingly. I have three clients and I've been with one for 4 years now and make about $40 an hour, another pays me $50 an hour plus commissions on what my writing team makes. The third is incredibly easy to work with and they come in at about $45 an hour. My highest paying was about $70 an hour, but their editor was growing increasing frustrating to deal with. It reached a point where I was told that the four words, "American Dental Association statistics" was plagiarized, so I quit. I'd rather take a lower hourly rate and enjoy my work than make more and being miserable.

Jesica

Registered
Reaction score
Try this:

"I hope you've been pleased with the writing I've been doing for you. Because of my increased work load, I need to raise my rates by a small amount. My new clients are paying $50, but since you've been with me for awhile, and I do appreciate your business, your rate will only increase to $40. You'll get the same quality and fast turnaround..."

TheHungryFreelancer

Registered
Reaction score
Try this:

"I hope you've been pleased with the writing I've been doing for you. Because of my increased work load, I need to raise my rates by a small amount. My new clients are paying $50, but since you've been with me for awhile, and I do appreciate your business, your rate will only increase to $40. You'll get the same quality and fast turnaround..."

I LOVE this. It sounds fantastic, non-confrontational, and professional.

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how any of you make a living with those rates. I get $80 per hour for my corporate work and $1 per word for my magazine work. My suggestion to the OP would be to ditch the whole elance scene and go after well-paying markets. They do exist.

F.