Not open for further replies.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Please... no talking about strong winds probably heading in my direction. A neighbor's tall dead tree looms by our house. She's the one I mentioned before -- won't come to the door, answer the phone, etc. Our letter about the tree has been ignored, just as the one we wrote to her earlier about other dead trees on her property.

It looks like we are going to have to complain to the county once again. We managed to get rid of her dead trees before, but it took months. Sigh.

Meanwhile, a McMansion is sprouting within our view, and it violates the restrictive covenants. As soon as we told the developer, he poured the concrete for the basement. So the architectural review committee has to hire a lawyer. Hubs is the chair of committee. Guess who has had to volunteer to pay the retainer and hope that others chip in to help reimburse? We hope that the folks who would live next door to this monstrosity (which has already messed up their drainage given the illegal removal of all the mature trees from the property) will pony up.

The joys of home ownership. Work needs to be done on our garden, but I'm not ready for that yet and hubs has been busy with this other stuff.

In other news, I had my first day down to 10 mg of the steroid yesterday and slept a bit better last night. I have hopes that this is the beginning of the end of my insomnia. And I'm able to do more physically each day. At some point, I hope my writer's brain comes back.

Ick. Surely they're going to run afoul of the county/city/whomever at some point. I really hate lifeless cookie-cutter architecture, whether it's McMansions or identical townhouses or soulless apartment buildings. It just gets to me in a really deep way--how dare they remove the human element from the home?

Okay, I have another partial request today.

I'm so nervous, because I'm okay with my MS except for the first five pages, WHICH IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE BOOK TO GET AN AGENT. And all my writer friends are really busy right now, so I have no one to look at the five pages and give me a bot feedback (I've received feedback before several revisions) and now I have another partial request and I'm so nervous and unhappy.

SIGH. A BIG BIG SIGH.

If you want anyone else to look at those 5 pages, I certainly can do that. I dip into YA sometimes, though it isn't my #1 genre (for reading--I write adult fiction). :)

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday! Everyone got your taxes filed?

re: QT - I'm with Antonin on this one. I don't think I ended up querying any that weren't on QT b/c it made me nervous -- like, why wouldn't they want to be? (Although if you have a Publishers Marketplace subscription and can look them up there and see for sure that they've had recent deals, that would for sure trump QT). I do wonder where they get their genre info sometimes, though, b/c I've seen plenty of times where the QT genres don't match up with the genres on their websites.

Antonin - Totally looking forward to that labyrinth party.

Maxtina - Congrats on the partial!

As for me, wrote a bunch last night and now I'm sitting around waiting for the arborist to show up to take care of the top twenty feet or so of a pine tree that's barely hanging from the tree by an inch or so of bark. :p

Maxtina James ASB

Aty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
asbehsam.com
So much kindness on this forum...

tumblr_inline_mneb2i98yl1qbv1jk.gif

angeliz2k - Thanks you, I just PMed you.

WendyN - Thank you. If I remember correctly it makes it 2 Partial requests, 2 personal rejections, 3 formal rejections so far.

Maxtina James ASB

Aty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
asbehsam.com
You know, you're lucky if you get any decent agent, I know ...

But there are always a few of them that you just really really want to work with lol

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have nothing to report. Assistant agent is still going over my rewrites. It's been four weeks, sigh. I'm anxious to start submitting to publishers! Plotting for Book 3 is dragging and dragging. It may be time to take a different angle. I'm thinking of making my male MC really anguished over something, so that he has to fight his way back from the depths of despair during the book. The heroine could help, hehehe.

I have no idea what the anguish comes from, though. Time to go sit in the corner and mull this over.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
You know, you're lucky if you get any decent agent, I know ...

But there are always a few of them that you just really really want to work with lol

Those ones are always the hardest rejecitons. From stalking *ahem* following agents from a respectable distance on Twitter, I start getting like this

flutter_zps73ea34b0.gif

Luckily I have the sense to never show that.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have nothing to report. Assistant agent is still going over my rewrites. It's been four weeks, sigh. I'm anxious to start submitting to publishers! Plotting for Book 3 is dragging and dragging. It may be time to take a different angle. I'm thinking of making my male MC really anguished over something, so that he has to fight his way back from the depths of despair during the book. The heroine could help, hehehe.

I have no idea what the anguish comes from, though. Time to go sit in the corner and mull this over.

Right now I have a cold and since you mentioned the heroine helping in that way... all I can think up of are dirty jokes.

*sits in corner*

:foilhat:

(It looks like a dunce hat to me)

Maxtina James ASB

Aty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
asbehsam.com
Antonin - I KNOOOOW! XD

triceretops - Oh... are you gonna revise?

ChocolateChipCookie - I miss planning for my novel, but it was a good time. I have the whole plot line for the four books with all the details. I didn't actually 'plan' most of the things, they just sort of happened lol But the parts I did sit down and plan for were really fun :) So good luck.

Maxtina James ASB

Aty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
asbehsam.com
And Antonin and RaggedEdge thanks for the first chapter review again. Hopefully I can make the first five pages as good as I can today.

WHY IS THE BEGINNING ALWAYS SO HARD? I mean, you know how everything starts, but you also want it to be interesting enough to get an agent >_<

Last edited:

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
With my requests, I'm constantly stuck between desperately wanting to nudge in order to know, and never wanting to nudge because I prefer hope to outright rejection. Anyone else feel the same?

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
With my requests, I'm constantly stuck between desperately wanting to nudge in order to know, and never wanting to nudge because I prefer hope to outright rejection. Anyone else feel the same?

Absolutely!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score

I just want to know.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any requests, but I really want everyone to hurry up and reject me so that I can get on with...whatever it is I'm doing, lol :D

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any requests, but I really want everyone to hurry up and reject me so that I can get on with...whatever it is I'm doing, lol :D

:e2slap:

(though I've been thinking the same thing for myself)

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score

I like my "eternal maybe." Having an agent just HAVE my work boosts my self esteem.

ChocolateChipCookie

Cookie Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Nudging sometimes works and sometimes provokes a fast NO. No idea which way to go on this.

As for the plotting of my novel, it's a slow slog. I love writing openings, so there is that. If only writing the first chapter could make me a career.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
What y'all are talking about is still a dream to me.

BUT, I've had some great afternoons of editing since my kids' afterschool winter extracurriculars ended, and this latest revision is about complete.

Also, I finally wrote the synopsis today. It's five pages - good enough for some agents! - but I can try to whittle it down for those pesky agents who ask for two-page synopses. I can't see how I'll ever make it one page, though. :rant: It was easier to write now that I've made the main structural change the ms needed.

Maxtina - You're welcome! :D

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I hope you're all well. Sorry I vanished... Something about all the critiques and beta-readings and rejections...I just needed a break from this whole world for a while. I also met a guy--first serious boyfriend potential since leaving my ex, and that somehow gave me writer's block.

I'll try to finish everyone's beta reading when I can, but it will probably be a while more as I'm leaving the state on a new adventure next week. Heading for Colorado to meet one of my long-time best Internet friends. :) I feel like taking a break from writing was the best thing for me right now, I've spent a long time isolated from the world because I was so devoted to my work. I needed this extra time with family, friends, new-romance potentials... :)

I'll try and go back and catch up on the thread when I can. I hope you're all excellent!! :)

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I finally wrote the synopsis today. It's five pages - good enough for some agents! - but I can try to whittle it down for those pesky agents who ask for two-page synopses. I can't see how I'll ever make it one page, though. :rant:

You do know that one-page synopses are single-spaced, right? Just checking ;)

Finally heard on a partial I sent out 17 months ago on the NF. I'd nudged a number of times and just gave up. She tells me she isn't the right agent for the project and has decided to focus primarily on fiction. For this I waited so long? Still, nice that she responded. I have some requests from the first version of NF that have been outstanding for years...

I'm happy for you, andi! I don't know that I'm excellent yet. But in the immortal words of Monty Python, "I'm not dead... I'm getting better."

I'm still waiting for my writer's brain to kick in again. I've been trying to think about what to do about existing work and WIP, but so far my reaction is always "meh" and I find something else to do.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I like my "eternal maybe." Having an agent just HAVE my work boosts my self esteem.

That's kind of how I feel. As long I have something "out there", there's hope. I know in my bones that the rejection is coming (after all, it has always ended in rejection up to this point), but until then there's still a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.