• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Spencer Hill Press

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
No, although it was offered (from their "readers")... I suspect this may be somewhat of a standard response.

"[FONT=georgia, serif]Thank you for sending your manuscript for our consideration during open subs. None of our editors felt strongly enough about this project to take it on at this time. If you'd like some feedback from our readers, then please let me know and I can pass it on."[/FONT]

[FONT=georgia, serif]My impression is that they have limited resources to dedicate to a set number of projects for the upcoming year and are understandably constrained. Consequently, they are extremely selective.
[/FONT]

This was the exact same thing I got too.

Dahlia

Registered
Reaction score
Aw man, that sucks y'all. But a chance for feedback is good, no? I'm still nervously waiting to hear back about mine.

MerHouston

Registered
Reaction score
Bumping this back up to see if anyone's heard anything during the past few weeks?

Stephanie Sims

Registered
Reaction score
Spencer Hill

I got an email from them on 12/11/13, stating they had received my full and would respond within 4-8 wks. I haven't heard back yet.

Anyone else hear anything lately?

Last edited:

Dahlia

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a nudge out and received a nice reply a few days later that my full had been received and was with some editors. So it appears while it is taking them a mite longer than initially anticipated, no one's been forgotten :)

Stephanie Sims

Registered
Reaction score
SH sub update

Hi all!

Just wanted to post a quick update.

I sent a nudge a couple of days ago, asking for the status of my MS. Unfortunately, I haven't received any response.

Especially bummed about that because the SH staff/authors that I follow on Twitter/etc. seem so wonderful. Would be nice to know what happened.

Ah, well. Le sigh.

Best wishes to anyone still waiting to hear back!

Dahlia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, just got my rejection. It was a form letter too, which after waiting for a few months and making it through at least one round of readers is fairly disappointing. I'd hoped for a little feedback. Ah well, on to the next one.

Good luck to you guys still waiting to hear :)

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
Sold: Angelica R. Jackson's Crow's Rest to SHP

Hi,
I just signed with Spencer Hill on April 7, and announced yesterday. So excited!

I know some of you are still waiting for their open period responses, but I actually got my submission in another way: I won a 70-page critique with Vikki Ciaffone through an auction. She read my YA UF Crow's Rest and fell in love, and although there were many steps in between I'm very happy with the way things have turned out. I ended up with a different editor than Vikki, but Owen Dean and I seem to have clicked and I'm looking forward to tackling the edits.

I was really hesitant about dealing with the contract on my own (I did get an agent in that time period, but when that didn't work out I was back to negotiating solo) so I did a lot of research and also consulted an IP attorney (Elaine English) for a contract review.

I went into the negotiation feeling very strongly about what I wanted (and didn't want) and was prepared to walk away, but they were honestly very upfront about all aspects of the contract. I'm not going to go into contract specifics (partly because I don't feel that's professional, and partly because the things I cared about and asked to be changed might be different from what you care about) but I'm very happy with this deal.

All the best to those who are waiting to hear!

Last edited:

KateKaynak

Registered
Reaction score
Still Awaiting Responses?

Hi folks,

SHP sent out the last of the responses for open subs about a month ago. If you have not heard back at this point, then there may have been a communication problem (please check your spam filter). We had to be extremely selective this year--we had SO MANY wonderful submissions, and we wish we had the production slots, editing time, and financial resources to take on more of them than we did. We wish you all the best in your quest for publication.

Take care! - Kate (SHP editor)

AmyMarie

Registered
Reaction score
Did you guys see that Spencer Hill is having a pitch contest on April 28th? They'll be looking for YA manuscripts. I think I'm going to enter. Anybody else planning to?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I just signed with Spencer Hill on May 7, and announced yesterday. So excited!

I know some of you are still waiting for their open period responses, but I actually got my submission in another way: I won a 70-page critique with Vikki Ciaffone through an auction. She read my YA UF Crow's Rest and fell in love, and although there were many steps in between I'm very happy with the way things have turned out. I ended up with a different editor than Vikki, but Owen Dean and I seem to have clicked and I'm looking forward to tackling the edits.

I was really hesitant about dealing with the contract on my own (I did get an agent in that time period, but when that didn't work out I was back to negotiating solo) so I did a lot of research and also consulted an IP attorney (Elaine English) for a contract review.

I went into the negotiation feeling very strongly about what I wanted (and didn't want) and was prepared to walk away, but they were honestly very upfront about all aspects of the contract. I'm not going to go into contract specifics (partly because I don't feel that's professional, and partly because the things I cared about and asked to be changed might be different from what you care about) but I'm very happy with this deal.

All the best to those who are waiting to hear!

Congrats!!! :D

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
Also, for those of you who saw above that I got Spencer Hill Press's attention through a critique with Vikki Ciaffone, you might be interested to know that Vikki has kindly donated a critique for my Pens for Paws Auction.

It's part of a SHP package, which includes your choice of current SHP titles and other goodies! The auction runs July 14-19.