The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

sammyjwebb

Registered
Reaction score
land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
I've been noxiously off the pace this year. Still learning to balance family and writing time.

Kicking it back in gear with Story A Day and have just subbed a little piece to Miscellanea. Editing another flash and almost through a third submittable piece. Set aside first novel and began new one that's a better fit for my style.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else working on a piece for Horror-on-the-Installment plan?
I read through the themes and for some reason, the vampire one jumped out at me--a theme/type I never dreamed I'd take on.
That one's still open, so I'll probably continue to work on that piece this week.
If completed, it would be my first new short story for this year!
I hadn't pledged to go for W1S1 this year since I'd planned to just work on novels, but I've stalled on those and keep getting tickled by new short story ideas.
I have an inkling that, like a prodigal daughter, I'll return to W1S1. :eek:
I've wasted too much time thus far not writing anything at all. :(
Lots of subbing though!

Last edited:

sarahthegrey

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know I'm new here, but I could use some kind words.

I've been waiting on a couple inevitable rejections, and preparing for that heartbreak, but in the meanwhile I got bad news--extremely bad news--about a close family member's health.

I'm pretty shaken. Rejection seems so irrelevant now. Writing, too.

:e2cry:

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info

I've been waiting on a couple inevitable rejections, and preparing for that heartbreak, but in the meanwhile I got bad news--extremely bad news--about a close family member's health.

So sorry to hear that; I've been through that myself, recently, and know just how horrible it feels.

It's okay if writing feels irrelevant and what you need is to take a break.

It's also okay if writing is an escape you need, either "just" to take your mind of things or as a way of channeling some of your emotions into your work. I did some of both during the past couple of months.

:Hug2:regardless and best of luck with it all.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sarah and
tackle.gif

Journaling tends to help me through rougher times.
I'm sorry for your bad news and hope you find a way through it! :Hug2:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

:Hug2:

Writing is less important than real people. You may find you need to step away from it a bit, or write in a different way, or lose yourself in it as an escape, and any and all of those things are okay. I wish I had any good advice to give, because I've been where you are, but there's not much to say except take care of yourself too.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone else has said it so well already. Just take care of yourself and good luck in the times ahead. I hope everything works out. Writing will be waiting for you when there is time and healing, or AS time and healing.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone else has said it so well already. Just take care of yourself and good luck in the times ahead. I hope everything works out. Writing will be waiting for you when there is time and healing, or AS time and healing.

Yes, I agree with this. Take whatever time you need and do not worry about writing unless it helps. It will remain for you at the right time, or in the right fashion. None of us are islands.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((((Sarah))))))

I hope everything works out for you and your family.

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Sarah, I'm sorry to hear that. Do whayou need to do to ge through it. Sending you hugs.

Ali

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com

I'm sorry about your bad news. Just focus on yourself and your loved ones- your stories will wait for you :).

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I did get my S&S story submitted. It was kind of a hot mess, but family issues have taken priority over writing new words. I don't like sending in stuff I think could be better edited, but I'd promised myself I would send something in this year, so... there you go.

Probably hear something back in a couple of days if they stay on top of their speedy track record.

Everything else is in limbo. I have piece of flash getting close to the 60 day mark at Stupefying Stories and a short story being held for further consideration at Goldfish Grimm's. Everything else is still a little too far out to start getting worried/excited about.

Aggy, stressed

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I sent out my 100th submission of the year tonight!

My goal for 2012 was to send out at least 200 submissions. It looks like I'm well ahead of schedule.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I sent out my 100th submission of the year tonight!

My goal for 2012 was to send out at least 200 submissions. It looks like I'm well ahead of schedule.

Wow. That was quick. I have really tried to stay on top of things. And I only have 28 submissions for this year. Good for you reaching 100. Also, I would like to take on your challenge of 200 submission by the end of the year. I think that one sounds like fun. It will make me pick up the pace.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome!

The submission quantity goal has been really helpful in dealing with rejection for me. It still stings, but now it's a lot more about "OK I get to send this out again."

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. That was quick. I have really tried to stay on top of things. And I only have 28 submissions for this year.

I'm at a whopping *3*, if that makes you feel any better. :)

The submission quantity goal has been really helpful in dealing with rejection for me. It still stings, but now it's a lot more about "OK I get to send this out again."

Yeah, I try to always have at least one thing out at any given time, and that serves the same sort of purpose, albeit with much more humble results.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
*counts* Well, cool, I'm at 91 subs this year. There's a few stories I need to kick back out...as soon as I find a market.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like W1S1 is helping a lot of us get tons of submissions out into the world. Definitely good news, that.

I intend on trying a bunch of foreign markets with some of my reprint stories sometime soon. That should be an opportunity to significantly raise my submission numbers.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I intend on trying a bunch of foreign markets with some of my reprint stories sometime soon. That should be an opportunity to significantly raise my submission numbers.

Not that it's quite time for me to be looking into that yet, but is there any good information around on how to research foreign markets, which ones are good, etc.? My sense is that neither Duotrope nor Ralan really have that info.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Just a quick 'howdy' as i zip through. As you all know, i'm not modding this room anymore (damn other life stuff!), but i still plan to lurk even if i'm not posting much.

Write on, peeps!

ETA: oh, and i know zanzjan will do a great job here. :hooray:

Last edited: