• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Musa Publishing

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
"We do not accept multiple submissions."

Any chance of reconsidering that policy? It's limiting from an author's position given the time it takes to get a rejection or request for full from some publishers. This policy prevents me from submitting a query to Musa.

I do understand why you'd want an exclusive once you've asked for a full, but even that could have an expiration period to give authors more options in case of rejection.

I have two manuscripts out now. One just went out. The publisher estimates up to 16 weeks and accepts multiple submissions. That seems reasonable to me.

However you go, I wish you the best of luck.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com

Any chance of reconsidering that policy? It's limiting from an author's position given the time it takes to get a rejection or request for full from some publishers. This policy prevents me from submitting a query to Musa.

Just to be pedantic...

Multiple submissions means you want to submit more than one story (or novel) to the same publisher. Simultaneous submissions is when you submit the same story to more than one publisher at the same time.

And to be more pedantic, neither policy prevents you from submitting the same query to more than one publisher at the same time.

I agree that having an time limit for an exclusive full is a good idea for authors, however.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. That was defined for me the other way by another pedant. :) Not here. I like your way better.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
For Penumbra, would you be open to a clause that allows the author to sell reprint rights to the usual Year's Best anthologies before the six-month's exclusive is up? (By that, I mean the Dozois, Hartwell, Datlow, Horton, Year's Best anthologies, etc.)

We're open to negotiating just about anything on a case by case basis. What are the odds I'll say no to an author with a better offer? Slim to non-existent.

I do understand why you'd want an exclusive once you've asked for a full, but even that could have an expiration period to give authors more options in case of rejection.

I have two manuscripts out now. One just went out. The publisher estimates up to 16 weeks and accepts multiple submissions. That seems reasonable to me.

However you go, I wish you the best of luck.

Just to be pedantic...

Multiple submissions means you want to submit more than one story (or novel) to the same publisher. Simultaneous submissions is when you submit the same story to more than one publisher at the same time.

And to be more pedantic, neither policy prevents you from submitting the same query to more than one publisher at the same time.

I agree that having an time limit for an exclusive full is a good idea for authors, however.

Exactly. We are holding a few stories while we consider them for later, themed issues, but we asked for a little time from each author and will release any story we don't accept within a reasonable period.

I'm a writer myself and know exactly how it feels to have manuscripts trapped at a publisher for longer than I would wish. *grumblegrrgrumble*

Everybody doesn't know something. :)

Amen. And sometimes, no one know anything. Multiple submissions confuse a lot of people, but rarely the person opening the inbox in the morning. No worries. :)

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Celina- I also wanted to ask if your books go to print at the same time as the digital version or do you require a certain sales figure on the e-books first?

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Celina, do you have established distribution?

Hey Celina- I also wanted to ask if your books go to print at the same time as the digital version or do you require a certain sales figure on the e-books first?

These questions kind of tie in together so I'll answer them both at the same time.

Our plan is to go to small print runs, not POD--I have no intention of charging 17 bucks for a paperback. We are in the process of obtaining bids for what we want to do with our print line. In the beginning, at least, print production will depend directly on ebook sales. One of our goals for the first year is to make it to simultaneous ebook and print book release.

But when I say SMALL print runs, I mean exactly that. I'm not talking about print runs of a thousand books. I'm talking about small print runs that would be distributed through our website or available for the author for signing and sales at conventions or what have you. I'm not going to bankrupt the company right out of the gate by hanging my hat on a star that may never rise. As we narrow down our options on print and arrive at the best option for the company, I'll be able to tell you more.

When and if we get to the point where our print line is going to be financially viable, decisions about distribution will be made at that point. If we can't reach a point where we can release paperback books for under ten dollars (and I'm getting quotes that indicate I might just be able to squeak that price point in just beneath 10 bucks and still make a microscopic profit) then Musa will continue on at the plan I've established for the first year.

I know everyone wants to see their books in print. Hell, I want to see my books in print. But at least for the first 3 or 4 months, we're going to be focusing our attention on launching the company and the magazine well and investing our finances into those areas.

That being said, our website is now live at www.musapublishing.com. We've anchored the store site with downloadable versions of our ebooks so authors can see the product we're intending to create.

The ezine website is also live at www.penumbra.musapublishing.com.

Our standard contracts will go live on both sites at some point later today. The lineup for our inaugural issue of Penumbra will be announced this week, as will our first two months of release schedule, featuring both agented and unagented authors.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool- thanks for the information- one other thing that came to mind- are your print books returnable? I know when I have signings at say Barnes and Noble that is one thing they look for when agreeing to host me there.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
If we like what we see, we will request your entire story in standard manuscript format (1 inch margins-top, bottom, and sides; 12 pt Times New Roman font, NO BOLDING, double spaced, non-justified right margin)
When you request the ms, is that printed or electronic? If the latter, which format do you prefer?

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
We only accept e-submissions, in either .doc or .rtf file formats. But, we only open attachments on emails if we've requested the manuscript. Initially, query with a cover letter, brief publishing history if applicable, synopsis of the plot and the first twenty pages of the MS embedded in the body of the email. Standard stuff. *Simple* is my favorite word regarding submissions.

Full submission guidelines including the imprints can be found at http://musapublishing.blogspot.com/p/submissions.html.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
True. But at the moment, when we begin to take books to print, we're not talking about runs big enough for large chains. We're talking about a hundred, not ten thousand.

I'd love to start everything off with big print runs, but initially I'm more interested in getting everything done correctly and well before tackling that issue. Small print runs, managed through our store initially is what's in the cards. Distribution issues--and the amendment of our return policy--will occur when and/or if Musa has the financial chops to support larger print runs and distribution. Part of this stems from my desire NOT to do POD. Although POD satisfies the desire for an actual physical book, the pricing is (in my mind) outrageous. Would it be easier to do POD? Sure. To my mind, easy is not always best. So initially, Musa will take books to print that are supported by significant sales of the electronic versions, and then only in small print runs distributed through our store and available to the author for his/her personal use--book signings, conventions and so forth.

And as I work through the bids I'm receiving from book printers (some of whom already have distribution established) and narrow down our options, I'll have better answers. I anticipate that to be the case within the next couple of months.

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Yes.

Here's the portion of the non-agented contract:

Author will receive no royalties on copies of Work considered complimentary, i.e., those used for
charitable, advertising, contests, and review purposes. Author will receive no royalties on copies of
Work purchased by the Author at Author’s discount.

It's on page 5 (if that helps).

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly what it says. If the writer gives a copy of a book away or a copy is sent to a reviewer, the author doesn't get royalties on that book because there are no sales. Same thing with the author's discount. They don't get royalties if they buy their own book.

Pretty standard contract clause. :)

Last edited:

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I apologize for being so horribly inarticulate (you'd think 3 years of law school would have beaten that out of me). I guess what I am inquiring about is whether that list is an all inclusive/exhaustive list as to what is considered a complimentary copy or if there are other instances not currently spelled out in the contract where a copy could fit that definition.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Exactly what it says. If the writer gives a copy of a book away or a copy is sent to a reviewer, the author doesn't get royalties on that book because there are no sales. Same thing with the author's discount. They don't get royalties if they buy their own book.

Pretty standard contract clause. :)

Query for The Radiance (SF) on its way to you, Celina. Just FYI. :D

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I apologize for being so horribly inarticulate (you'd think 3 years of law school would have beaten that out of me). I guess what I am inquiring about is whether that list is an all inclusive/exhaustive list as to what is considered a complimentary copy or if there are other instances not currently spelled out in the contract where a copy could fit that definition.

Well, I can't think of another instance where a book wouldn't get royalties. If the author gives away a copy for free, whether promotionally or for review, or the company sends out ARCs for review or gives away a copy for promotional purposes, then the author doesn't get royalties. But, any copies the COMPANY sends out does not count against the Author's allotted copies either.

And no problems. I need to stop trying to decipher things in the middle of the night. :)