Deciphering editor's response

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
I sent an LOI to a trade mag the other day and got a quick response back from them that thanked me for getting in touch, included their editorial calendar and said: "I'll review your clips and keep your information on file."

What do you guys think my next step should be? Now that I have their editorial calendar, should I take this as an invitation to pitch? Or, based on the response, do you think this is more of a "don't call us, we'll call you" kinda thing and the editor will contact me with an assignment if she's interested? Since this is a trade mag, I'm having a hard time deciding--some trades like to be pitched, while others don't because they already have all their article ideas fleshed out months in advance.

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
From what little information you gave us, it sounds like an invitation to submit other things fitting their editorial calendar. I wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation, but it would certainly not hurt to submit something else.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I'll also weigh in on the submit -- why else would you get an editorial calendar? Just be sure to consider the lead time (if there's not dates in the calendar) and query away!

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Well the guidelines do talk about assigned articles. And I guess there's no other reason why she would have sent me the calendar, so I'll go ahead and pitch. Can't hurt, right?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times editors have told me exactly this. For me, it always meant the same thing.

This magazine may be different, but pitching ideas/sending queries is allowed pretty much all the time, anywhere. "Reviewing your clips" is the big factor. When I've heard this from an editor it meant simply, "I'll read your clips. If I really like what I read, if your style matches what I'm looking for, I'll give you the go-ahead on any pitch that sounds good. I will even assign you an article I need done.

If I'm not sure that your writing matches what I'm looking for, I'll ask you to write one of your pitches on spec.

If I hate what I find in your clips, I'll reject your pitch outright, and I won't assign you anything.