How To Submit Article For Publication?

Blackfish

Banned
Reaction score
Nakhon Pathom, Thailand; or somewhere in the world
OK, I'm new to the forum, new to attempted writing for money, and new to the publishing business altogether.

I'm traveling in Asia right now. I have a good idea for an article about this great little place I am staying and the province in which they reside. I check some threads on the forum that suggest some magazines wanting articles. I find this: http://www.thingsasian.com/writers-guidelines;jsessionid=16E5B91AB3BFCACBA21A8F195CF925E1

Looks pretty good. I can deal with all the rules easily.

What I don't understand is, do I make up an article(s) for publication and submit them and hope they want to publish them and pay me, or do I contact the magazine and ask them if they want my articles?

What is the best way to make my initial contact with publishers?

Will my lack of experience be a factor in determining whether or not they want to deal with me?

Am I going way over my head here? Should I start up with something easier than getting published in a magazine?

Katherine_James

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.onlinewritingjobsguru.com
Well, you can take your article idea and approach a number of different travel magazines (so you don't need to stick to ThingsAsian.com)

Now, having read through the writers guidelines for the website you stated, they are very specific about what type of article they are looking for, but have forgotten to let you know where to send it (or indeed, what they pay for your piece).

I would suggest, you send them an email pitching your article idea first, rather than send in the entire piece. Their email is [email protected].