• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Black Rose Writing (Reagan Rothe)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder who is behind that site?

ramair350

Registered
Reaction score
I have been working with Black Rose for over a year, and wanted to share my experience. I wrote a non-fiction book and had difficulty finding a publisher; long story short, Black Rose offered to publish my work last year. They never once asked how many copies I planned on purchasing until after the book had been published.

I cannot comment on the experiences of others, but mine has been positive. Black Rose has done everything they said they would do, and I have had zero "bad" surprises.

First of all, aside from a few copies of my book, I have never paid them a penny for anything, period. They communicated dates and stuck to them. They had me work directly with their designers on the cover and layout, with all items approved by me personally. Yes, they only provide one free copy to the author. Sure, they probably make most of their money from writers who buy the book to give away. But for me they have had no requirements to buy books or anything like that; they simply have communicated my royalty check details, kept me posted on what they are doing to promote books, and that is fine with me (the book has sold hundred of copies, which is thrilling for me; I didn't expect to walk into Barnes and Noble and see it on the front shelves, although some B&Ns in my area did stock the book at my request).

I have done my own promotion through various channels. Black Rose has stepped up and are present at major book fairs to promote authors (and yes, I'm sure Black Rose as a publisher). I am realistic and know that for a book that might generate Black Rose hundreds of dollars of profit, they aren't going to sink in tens of thousands of dollars in promotional activity. All I ask is they do what they say, and that is what has happened. Yes, I know the contract is has loopholes that are less than ideal for writers, but I have yet to have Black Rose do anything questionable because it is in the fine print of the contract. They published the book, they handle everything behind the scenes, they mail me royalty checks, and they keep me happy.

Sure, they are in business to make money. All publishers are. You might be able to make more money by self-publishing. Or you might not. But I do know that Black Rose has a stable of quality writers (some are professional writers for large newspapers, for example). I was honored to be invited to join their ranks, and I am proud to say I am a published writer (even if published by a "lower tier" publisher). In fact, after my contract term of two years expires, I will probably sign on for an extension.

Best of luck to all writers in finding the best publisher for your book!

Vince

Last edited:

Iskandar

Older but not always wiser
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dansilberman.ca
Good for you!!

I have been working with Black Rose for over a year, and wanted to share my experience. I wrote a non-fiction book and had difficulty finding a publisher; long story short, Black Rose offered to publish my work last year. They never once asked how many copies I planned on purchasing until after the book had been published.

I cannot comment on the experiences of others, but mine has been positive. Black Rose has done everything they said they would do, and I have had zero "bad" surprises.

First of all, aside from a few copies of my book, I have never paid them a penny for anything, period. They communicated dates and stuck to them. They had me work directly with their designers on the cover and layout, with all items approved by me personally. Yes, they only provide one free copy to the author. Sure, they probably make most of their money from writers who buy the book to give away. But for me they have had no requirements to buy books or anything like that; they simply have communicated my royalty check details, kept me posted on what they are doing to promote books, and that is fine with me (the book has sold hundred of copies, which is thrilling for me; I didn't expect to walk into Barnes and Noble and see it on the front shelves, although some B&Ns in my area did stock the book at my request).

I have done my own promotion through various channels. Black Rose has stepped up and are present at major book fairs to promote authors (and yes, I'm sure Black Rose as a publisher). I am realistic and know that for a book that might generate Black Rose hundreds of dollars of profit, they aren't going to sink in tens of thousands of dollars in promotional activity. All I ask is they do what they say, and that is what has happened. Yes, I know the contract is has loopholes that are less than ideal for writers, but I have yet to have Black Rose do anything questionable because it is in the fine print of the contract. They published the book, they handle everything behind the scenes, they mail me royalty checks, and they keep me happy.

Sure, they are in business to make money. All publishers are. You might be able to make more money by self-publishing. Or you might not. But I do know that Black Rose has a stable of quality writers (some are professional writers for large newspapers, for example). I was honored to be invited to join their ranks, and I am proud to say I am a published writer (even if published by a "lower tier" publisher). In fact, after my contract term of two years expires, I will probably sign on for an extension.

Best of luck to all writers in finding the best publisher for your book!

Vince

Hi Vince,
I'm also a happy ex Black Rose Writing author, if you go back to 2013 you'll see some of my threads and the usual BS replies from the peanut gallery. My contract with Black Rose expired in May (2 years to the day from signing with Reagan) and the process was a smooth as could be: one email notifying me that the rights were reverting to me and an offer to sell me the electronic files (used by the printer) and the cover art for under $150.
You're absolutely right that Black Rose performed exactly as advertised, they published my book after a number of email edits and agreement for the cover art. They never asked for a single penny and listed my book at Barnes, Indigo, Chapters and Amazon (.com, .ca and .uk) in paper print and in various electronic formats.
Sure I bought a few copies, who wouldn't? I was proud to have actually written a book and could not wait to send a signed copy to my family, friends and colleagues at work.
Did I make a lot of money? Hell no! But that was mostly my fault for not taking the time to promote it at the local book stores, car shows, rodeo and home fairs in town (read Joe Konrath's advice on how to sell books). I did however learn a lot about the business and had fun doing so.
Good luck
Dan

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Who wouldn't? Writers who get more than one free copy from their publishers.

I've been in that situation before. But it was with only one publisher, though. I bought three copies at my discount. My sister got one, as well as my doctor and pharmacist (both fans, the gods only know why).

pepe1701

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I have never paid for any books from my publishers. Any books I've wanted have usually been given to me or taken out of my royalties.

pepe1701

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Right...! Because publishers will give you 50 or more copies for free. I call BS.

My publisher would if I ask and I wouldn't pay a penny for them. Of course I'm not allowed to resell free copies (I can resell the ones taken out of my royalties) but I'm not in the business selling books, I'm in the business of writing them.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Right...! Because publishers will give you 50 or more copies for free. I call BS.

Actually... many publishers do. Those tweets you see from authors published at larger houses? Talking about getting a box of books? Dollars to donuts they didn't pay for them.

Iskandar

Older but not always wiser
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dansilberman.ca
My publisher would if I ask and I wouldn't pay a penny for them. Of course I'm not allowed to resell free copies (I can resell the ones taken out of my royalties) but I'm not in the business selling books, I'm in the business of writing them.

I guess like E.L. James, J.K. Rowling and Stephen King you're one of the golden blessed ones, my awed compliments to you. The rest of us novice published authors have to flog our products at every commercial opportunity: Book cons, book stores, signings, etc..

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I guess like E.L. James, J.K. Rowling and Stephen King you're one of the golden blessed ones, my awed compliments to you. The rest of us novice published authors have to flog our products at every commercial opportunity: Book cons, book stores, signings, etc..

It's not like that for everyone.

Many of us don't because we're too busy writing the next book.

I've seen my books in Barnes & Noble and in Canadian bookstores. I didn't have to call them up or put them on consignment.

A good publisher will get your book into bookstores without you doing anything other than... writing the next book.

As for author copies - I received 48 copies of each title with Carina Press when it went to print for their HQN subscribers. I got 10 copies from each Samhain title and thanks to my agent it's increased to 20 with my new three-book contract.

So... yeah. Some of us do get author copies. And we're not the "golden blessed ones".

We're just with good publishers.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well... add me to the number of small press authors who do not hand sell their books. It is just not an efficient use of my time relative to making more content. Those who are better hand sellers, well good on you. But it is far from a universal approach these days.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
It's not like that for everyone.

Many of us don't because we're too busy writing the next book.

I've seen my books in Barnes & Noble and in Canadian bookstores. I didn't have to call them up or put them on consignment.

A good publisher will get your book into bookstores without you doing anything other than... writing the next book.

As for author copies - I received 48 copies of each title with Carina Press when it went to print for their HQN subscribers. I got 10 copies from each Samhain title and thanks to my agent it's increased to 20 with my new three-book contract.

So... yeah. Some of us do get author copies. And we're not the "golden blessed ones".

We're just with good publishers.

This. FWIW, many years ago the house that did my first suspense/thriller series gave me one hundred copies of each title as they went to press. I wasn't allowed to sell them, but beyond that, those books were mine to do with as I pleased. I used them as giveaways and what have you, and those in turn generated some nice sales.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Add me to the list of authors who don't have to peddle their own books.

ethantribal

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

Not me. I'm not in the business of selling books. If I need books for a book signing, I get them. My PR person arranges everything. I published with a little tiny press run by three people.

If I need books for let's say for book cons, I get them sent to me weeks in advance and if I need banners or signage, I get those too. I don't sell those books at the book cons, I give them away.

If you only think big names get that kind of treatment, then you need to seek out a publisher that will do all that for you :)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
My small presses (four to date) have given me a small quantity of print books as stipulated in the contract. The rest, if I want them, I buy at a very attractive discount, I think it comes to like 50%. I've never been given more than two-five print copies of any title.

Big houses are probably different in that regard.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score

What other reason is there to sign with a publisher (who then takes a cut of sales) than for them to sell the books? If you're capable of achieving sales by flogging them yourself, self-publish and keep the sales income.

Besides, how do you, as a reader, discover books? From some stranger at a book con? Or by going to your bookstore, or library, or school/office bookcase, or a friend's bookcase?

blackrosewriting

Registered
Reaction score
Bookend Design

One of our imprints, Bookend Design, is offering self-published services to writers/authors who want to take on the publishing industry on their own terms, yet still expect the quality of interior, eBook, and cover design from a traditional publisher. Our covers speak for themselves, and our rates are extremely competitive. http://www.blackrosewriting.com/bookend-design/ .

Thank you for writing!
Reagan Rothe
Owner, Black Rose Writing

Self-publishing doesn't mean that you should produce lesser quality. Or go at it alone. With Bookend Design, you can self-publish with confidence, utilizing Black Rose Writing's design team experts for your latest project.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
One of our imprints, Bookend Design, is offering self-published services to writers/authors who want to take on the publishing industry on their own terms, yet still expect the quality of interior, eBook, and cover design from a traditional publisher. Our covers speak for themselves, and our rates are extremely competitive. [link removed]

Thank you for writing!
Reagan Rothe
Owner, Black Rose Writing

Self-publishing doesn't mean that you should produce lesser quality. Or go at it alone. With Bookend Design, you can self-publish with confidence, utilizing Black Rose Writing's design team experts for your latest project.

It's not appropriate for you to spam our Self Publishing room with this. However, as you are now offering design services in return for a fee that confirms you are a vanity press. So I'm going to move this thread from our Self Publishing room and merge it with the Black Rose thread in BR&BC, so that our members will have a fuller picture of your competence as a publisher.

akaria

Registered
Reaction score
Black Rose Writing covers are so awful it's offensive you charge $300 for cover design. There are bad color choices that make author names unreadable. There are bad font choices that make titles illegible. The illustrations that scream amateur. I've seen better covers from designers on Fiverr.