What are your terms and conditions?

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
I have had two recent experiences with poor management on the part of a scheduler for an organization or group requesting me to give a lecture or presentation. I need to develop a more specific list or terms and conditions to avoid paying the price for their disorganization such as little or no promotion, incorrect promotion, faulty audiovisual components or connections and such inconsiderate behavior as delaying my presentation with long winded business discussion/debate right when I am scheduled to speak.
Does anyone have an effective but not pompous way to get this across? This would apply to fee paid and free lectures.

Ultimate Cheapskate

Registered
Reaction score
Accokeek, Maryland -- 20 miles south of Washington
Hi - I realize that this thread is a bit old, but for anyone who's interested, following is a copy of the templated for a letter of agreement that I use for my speaking gigs. I've developed it over the years based on the issues I've encountered when giving a speech. Feel free to use it (in part, or in its entirety) if you'd like:

(Date)

(Name/Address)

Dear (POC Name):

This letter is intended to confirm the agreement between (Organization Name) and myself with regard to my upcoming speech at (Event Name) starting at approximately (Date & Time) (Place).

I have agreed to deliver a speech at that time and place of approximately ____ minutes in length and formally titled “Finding Wholesale Happiness in a Retail World”™. A general description of that speech is attached. I warrant that the content of the speech is original, accurate and does not intentionally defame or disparage any person, product or service. I also warrant that any required permissions to use the content and materials have been obtained.

I agree to provide and grant full rights to (Organization) to use in advance of the event all photographs, quotes, biographical information, and other items or information as may be required for promotion of my speech by (Organization).

I also agree to allow (Organization) to preserve by photographing, recording, videotaping, audiotaping, transcribing or by any other means, all information presented during the speech, provided that reuse of such material is strictly limited to applications associated with the specific event itself (e.g. simultaneous broadcast, post conference documentation, etc.) and not reused or distributed for other purposes, either commercial or noncommercial. (Organization) will notify me in advance of any plans to record and repurpose the program, and will provide me with a copy of such recording(s) at (Organization’s) expense. Permission to use, reuse, reproduce, excerpt, or distribute such recording(s) for any purposes other than those associated with the specific event must be approved by me.

In consideration of the services and rights described in this letter, (Organization) agrees to pay me a total fee of (Fee Amount) Of this amount, (Deposit Amount) will be paid as a deposit at the time of signing this letter of agreement, and the remaining (Balance Amount) will be payable upon completion of the speech. All payments will be by company check, payable to Jeffrey Yeager.

Should I cancel this agreement for any reason, I will forfeit all payments due under this agreement and will reimburse (Organization) for any amount already received by me. Should (Organization) cancel this agreement for any reason, I will be entitled to receive all payments due under this agreement, regardless of whether such sums have been paid to me as of the date of cancellation.

Page 2 of 2
(Organization) Letter of Agreement
(Date)

(Organization) is responsible for providing all audio/visual and other equipment requested by me for use in delivering my speech. I assume no responsibility or liability for malfunctioning and/or insufficient audio/visual or other equipment.

(Organization) agrees to reimburse my travel and other expenses incurred in delivering this speech, specifically limited to: (List Items/Amount Limits, if any).

(Organization) also agrees that I have the option of making copies of my book, “The Ultimate Cheapskate’s Road Map to True Riches”, available for retail sale following my speech. I will be solely responsible for supplying and selling the books, and I will be the sole beneficiary of any proceeds generated through the sale of my book at the event.

If this letter of agreement is acceptable, please sign two original copies and return both to me for counter signature, along with the specified deposit payment, at the address indicated below.

I am looking forward to speaking a the (Event Name), and I invite you to contact me with any questions or other requests you may have prior to the event.

___________________________________________________________ ________
(Signature, Name, and Title) (Date)
(Organization)

___________________________________________________________ _______
Jeffrey Yeager