Increase your book sales through public speaking

Edward_R

Freelance Speech Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

I just wanted to pass along a few tips for how you can "sell from the podium" the next time you are invited to speak.

Here are 4 few tips that can make it easier to sell your book during your next public speaking gig:
1. Ask the organizer in advance if you can talk about selling your book and even sell it after the talk ends. Most organizers will be OK with this but some might have rules against it or will want a cut of the profits. If you can sell your book afterwards, sell it at a price that’s an increment of 5 dollars. It’s far easier to make change for $15.00 rather than $17.85.

2. Wait until the end of your talk before selling your book. No one wants to listen to talk that is just a commercial for a book. At the end of your talk, discuss how the book will expand on the points in your talk.

3. Don’t talk about everything in your book. Focus on a few points that will match your audience’s needs. This will also keep you talk concise. At the end of your talk, tell the audience about what you didn’t cover and how they can find it in your book. This will increase the perceived value of your book.

4. Tell people exactly where they can find it. Do you have it listed on Amazon? Is it only available on your website? Put up a slide or pass out a 1-pager that lists where the audience can find your book.

Tl;dr: To put this into practice, add in one paragraph near the conclusion of your talk. This section should answer the following questions:
1. What is in the book that wasn’t mentioned in your talk?
2. Where can people find your book?

tmason

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Edward,

This was very helpful since I'm in the process of writing and publishing my book which will be released in Jan 2015. I was approached by a few non-profit organizations to speak at their conference and promote the book so reading this was very insightful.

In regards to adding public speaking into my coaching and consulting business, how would you suggest I present this service on my website? I'm in the process of putting my coaching services/fees on my website and would like to add in public speaking. What would be a reasonable fee for a first time public speaker?

Thank you!
-Tiffany

rolandogomez

Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AmericanoDream.com
Great advice and I've done it just like you say. It works! And cash never hurts at the end of a presentation, especially if you are traveling to get to the podium.