Any pilots out there?

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Hi Clare. I worked out the 3 engines = 3 controls idea. But why does the co-pilot have 3 throttles and 3 other levers (with black nobs on) that seem to occupy the same area as the throttles? Also, what on earth are the 2 levers between the co-pilot's legs?
I have attempted to translate the instrument panel from german.

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
(Turboprops are not piston engines, they're jets, despite having a propellor; these are piston engines.)

Oops! You're right. That's what I get for doing anything before coffee.

Aerial

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The three black levers are the throttle. The red levers just underneath and occupying the same vertical slot are for the mixture. The higher the airplane goes, the thinner the air is, thus the need to adjust the air/fuel ratio going up and down. The red levers on the right appear to be either emergency extinguishers or some sort of propeller angle adjustment. It's on the right side because engine performance fine-tuning is a co-pilot's responsibility. The faucets under the co-pilot dashboard are related to the cowlings. Opening / closing the cowlings controls the amount of incoming air that cools the engine. Piston engines tend to have a peek in performance within a narrow temperature range. Even the more modern Cessna models (notably the C210) have a lever to control cowling air intake flaps.

Don't be fooled by images you see on the net. Many JU52/3m have been modified to make them airworthy according to current standards. It's not uncommon to find a 'converted' airplane to have modern instruments like VOR radios and an HSI. The Junkers that appear to be genuine have nothing more than a compass, a turn coordinator, an altimeter, and a very crude attitude indicator (a painted ball floating in oil). I'm not even sure they had airspeed and VSI indicators back then.

-cb

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
If you need specific control labels translated from German into English, shoot me a PM. I'm still reasonably fluent and I have a private pilot for a husband, who's heavily into WWII aircraft.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
CB: You seem to be suggesting that the pilot sits on the left (looking forward from behind the cockpit). Is this correct? I don't know why, but I thought the pilot sat on the right.

JJ

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Deb: I don't have German labels for the controls, only for the instruments. Really, the instruments are not as important to me as the controls.

JJ

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
VSI and air speed

CB: They did have VSI
I found it on the instrument panel: Variometer -10 to +10 m/s

and air speed indicator: Fahrtmesser 80-450 km/h and "oder" 60-550km/h. Fahrt = "ride" = speed, I assume. Messer = measure. Not sure what "oder" means.

JJ

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
Pilot is on the left, yes. Pilot on the right is helicopters.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I still have no idea what those 2 ski poles with loops on between the pilot's legs are for.

Anyone?

JJ

jimmymc

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Probably brake levers, but I'm just guessing.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Braking would be my guess as well (but guess is all it is). On modern planes the rudder pedals also serve as brake and steering pedals.

When someone first starts to fly a plane they will often try to use the yoke to steer the plane when it's on the ground (similar to using a steering wheel in a car). Some instructors will make a student put his hands in his lap until he gets used to steering with his feet.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Parking brakes, rudder trim, rudder position adjustment (as the seats appear to be fixed), or water rudder up/down (floatplane configuration). Just brakes would make it difficult for the pilot to taxi.

Euclid, just curious as to why you need to go to that level of detail. Only JU52 pilots - and there are not that many - could possibly pinpoint factual errors in your manuscript.

ETA: Short of becoming a private pilot, many flights schools in the US and Canada offer a one-day 'Discovery Flight' day package for around $250 (for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMQBriM-tP0 ). This comprises 1 - 2 hours of ground school, and an hour of actual flying time in a Cessna as the pilot. The program I often read on the web include two landings and takeoffs, stalls, and commercial turns (high bank angles). Make sure you ask for a 'steam gauges' plane as opposed to a 'glass cockpit' one if you want to have a better understanding of older technology.

-cb

Last edited:

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I don't need too much detail. Just the basics of the controls. Actually, I've written the scene, now. The plane is attacked, the pilot shot up, and my hero has to land the plane - that was the original idea. That's not how it turned out.

The pilot is blinded, so he can still operate the controls. My hero just has to read out the altitude and airspeed, keep an eye on the artificial horizon and make sure the plane's nose stays up, oh and tell the pilot how far he is from the runway. And help him to line up the plane on the approach.

Here's what I have. Comments and suggestions welcome.

“What do I do?” said Kurt.
“You’re doing fine. Just watch our altitude. Make sure I keep her level and make sure our air speed doesn’t drop below 100.”
Felix described the landing procedure in detail. Felix would execute the landing; Kurt would be his eyes. At the end of the lesson, Kurt was less than confident that they would make it down safely. He told Felix how he was feeling.
“It’s a doddle. Don’t worry about it,” said Felix.
They had flown across the water for close to two hours before Kurt saw land ahead and Ashford airfield established contact.
“This is RAF Ashford. Come in Alfa Victor Oscar.”
“This is Alfa Victor Oscar,” Felix replied. “Has Squadron Leader Hazelwood informed you of our situation?”
“Roger. You have lost an engine and are injured. We will be ready for you here. Please adjust your heading to 035. Wind speed on the ground is five to seven. We have a slight haze. The field is clear for you.”
With Kurt reading out their headings, Felix executed a reasonable turn to the right and placed the plane on the required heading.
“Altitude?”
“900 metres.”
“Air speed?”
“100.”
“Are we level?”
“Yes.”
“We should be reducing altitude.”
“We are. We’re at 850 and dropping.”
“Keep an eye on that. Let me know if it drops too quickly.”
“How quickly is too quickly?”
“50 meters every 3 minutes should be about right.”
Kurt said, “Air speed’s dropping. It’s at 90.”
Felix increased power. “Can you see the airfield yet?”
“Air speed 95. And no. I see land, but no airfield.”
Soon they were flying over land and Kurt could see that the plane was descending steadily. He broke out in a sweat as he relayed the instrument readings to Felix.
“I see the airfield!” said Kurt.
“Are we lined up on a runway?”
“Nearly. We need to move a smidgen to the right.”
“A smidgen.” Felix made a slight adjustment.
“That’s perfect,” said Kurt.
“Altitude and air speed?”
“300 metres and 70.”
Felix increased power.
“Tell me if the nose dips. We need to keep the nose up.”
“Right. Altitude 260 metres, air speed 80.”
“How far to the runway?”
“About another runway.”
“Speed looks good, but you’re coming in a little high,” said the man on the ground.
Felix, used the flaps. Kurt felt the plane braking in mid air.
Felix said, “Tell me when we’re over the start of the runway, and tell me when we’re at the level of the tops of the buildings.”
“We’ve just passed the start of the runway,” Kurt shouted.
“How high are we?”
“50 metres.”
“Ignore the altimeter. Look out the window.”
“Tops of the buildings,” said Kurt, gripping the edge of his seat.
“What about now?”
Tops of telegraph poles. Nose dipping.”
Felix lifted the nose and cut the two engines completely. A klaxon sounded.
“What’s that noise?” Kurt shouted.
“Don’t worry about it,” said Felix. “Hold on to your seat.”
The landing was a rough one, but they made it in one piece. Felix applied the brakes, and they came to a halt 20 metres before the end of the runway.
“Good luck,” said the Hurricane Squadron Leader. He made a pass overhead, waggled his wings at them.
“Congratulations!” said the air traffic controller. “Welcome home.”

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a little early where I am to be reading for comprehension and comment; I'll come back and read it again when I'm more awake.

You're close to having it basically right (at least for a story). There is a vertical airspeed indicator that they would probably want to watch. Also, the pilot would probably adjust the flaps earlier.

Assuming they have plenty of runway, coming in high would be okay.

Instead of saying "Felix lifted the nose" you might have him gradually pull back on the yoke and add just a little more detail at that point as the plane touches down. He shouldn't be hearing the stall warning (he's not going to pull the nose up that much).

Again, I'm on my first cup of coffee . . .

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a certain "feeling" a pilot gets right before touchdown. He's got the flaps down, the airspeed slowed, he knows he's only a couple of meters from the ground, he's pulling back on the yoke to control his vertical airspeed (to almost nothing), and he's waiting for the tires to touch the runway before gently pushing the yoke forward. It's a little like feeling weightless because he's been feeling the vertical airspeed and now there is a sense of little or no vertical speed. It's a little hard to explain. I don't know that you need that detail in your story but it might help to understand a typical landing for a pilot.

You might want the airfield to report the direction of the wind and runway number to land on (if there is more than one).

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yoke is the same thing as stick or control column. I'm not sure what they called it for the plane you're using. It controls the ailerons and elevators (for pitch and roll).

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
What's the difference between

"flaps"
"ailerons" and
"elevators"

?

Pitch and roll?

It's just as well this is only a fictional exercise :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll try to keep it simple.

There are three main surface controls for an aircraft: ailerons to control roll (the planes rolls over to the left or to the right), elevators to control pitch (nose up or nose down), and rudder to control yaw (the "skew" of the airplane). A pilot turns an airplane by using the ailerons and then using the rudder to control how the plane turns--it's not like a boat rudder. He can also use the elevators and throttle to control his airspeed and whether he loses altitude or not during a turn. He can trade off a little airspeed during a gentle turn or he can apply a little more throttle. This would be so much easier to explain if we were sitting together using a little model airplane; it's not really as complicated as I've probably made it sound.

Ailerons are on each wing (the further part of the wing) and move in opposite directions (if one is up the other is down), elevators on the rear of the airplane move in the same direction, and the rudder moves side to side. Flaps are on the inside part of each wing and are adjustable by degree (10 degrees, 20 degrees, 30 degrees).

Flaps are used during takeoffs and landing to change the lift (and drag) of the wings. During normal flight an airplane doesn't need that extra lift (or want that extra drag).

There are also trim tabs, but I don't think you need to know much about those. Those just make it easier for the pilot. He can "trim" the aircraft so he doesn't have to hold the yoke back or forward so much during flight.

Last edited:

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Okay. That was helpful. Now could you tell me where are the controls for flaps, ailerons, elevators and rudder. Which of these is controlled by the foot controls?

thanks
JJ

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The stick (or yoke, or control column) controls the ailerons by pushing or turning it left or right. Push the stick to the left (or turning the yoke counterclockwise) would make the plane roll over to the left (the left aileron would go up, the right aileron would go down). Pulling back on the stick or yoke control the elevators (pull back=nose up, push forward=nose down). The rudder is controlled by the foot pedals. The foot pedals also control the brakes and the steering (push the left pedal=the rudder will turn towards the left, push the right pedal=the rudder will turn towards the right).

The flaps are usually controlled by some kind of small lever with a marking for the degrees the flaps will be lowered (10, 20, 30).

I'm referring to modern aircraft. They may have used something slightly different for the pedals in the old days. They may have had a separate control for the brakes (I'm just not sure). Almost all modern aircraft (except for some crop dusting or bush planes) have what is called a tricycle gear (the main wheels are at about the center of the plane and one wheel in front). On older planes they used what is called a "tail dragger"--that is, the main wheels are about at the center of the plane and one small wheel at the rear of the plane. Tail draggers are considered more sturdy for some landing strips (which is why they are still preferred by bush pilots and such). On a rough field a tricycle gear could have a problem if the pilot brings that front wheel down too soon.

Most WWII aircraft were tail draggers.

Last edited:

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Junkers 52/3m is definitely a tail dragger.

I've established contact with a friend who's a retired airline pilot. He's being very helpful. He reckons the ski poles between the pilot's legs are brakes. He's not convinced that the faucets in front of the co-pilot are for controlling air flow over the engines, but hasn't yet suggested what they might be.