Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladybritches

late to the party
Registered
Reaction score
So, one of my beta readers texted me that she's barely been able to get dressed because she can't stop reading my novel. WHEW. She also said she barely has any comments so far! It's such a relief. I mean, I know it's only one beta reader (it's out with two others as well for first round then I have 4-5 more beta readers lined up for second round), but every time I send out an MS for beta reading I'm certain that they will tell me this is the worst piece of shit I've ever written and that my writing/story telling skills are getting worse rather than better. LOL. Of course, the other beta readers might tear it to shit, but it's still a relief to hear something positive, ya know?

Good. I'm glad to know you like getting such positive feedback, because the manuscript I'm beta-ing right now is kind of like that. It's so well written I'm finding it difficult to come up with useful suggestions on how to improve it, and if I can't find ways to improve it, I feel like I'm failing the author.

And btw, that is so cool that someone likes your novel so much they can't put it down. Isn't that every writers' dream? :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: IDK

Yup the 9 pages line up with the R&R. One beta just e-mailed me to say she'd never seen an ms so polished (granted she is only 20% in and hasn't seen the train wreck yet of the middle/end lol!!). She is crazy, this ms isn't polished!! It needs soo much work.

As for beta readers- I found one of mine through AW :)

I really suggest the beta forums, they have been really helpful for me in the past!

Also, melly, yayyyy for people liking your draft!! Is this the thriller one??

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the beta-love!

How did you go about getting betas? From this forum? The only person who's read my writing is my boyfriend. :I

Thanks. I've been around AW for about 3 or 4 years now. The first time I posted my (dum dum dummmm) prologue (of my very first novel), I was told by one critter to chop the entire thing because it wasn't needed and didn't add anything to the story. I got off the site and cried my eyes out LOL. I was so new to writing and very thinned skin then, but then I let her words mull around in my head and did more research around the boards and other places and realized that she was totally right. The next time I posted something she critiqued that for me and I really came to appreciate her honesty. I ended up trunking that novel (because OMG it was so god awful and full of all the newbie writer mistakes). I started writing another novel and PMd her asking if she'd be willing to beta for me in a chapter by chapter style and I was very lucky she said yes. She and I have become very close and crit each others work all the time. My point is, get in the SYW thread and post your first chapter and start critiquing other people's work and get to know them. That's how it worked for me. I've become great friends with so many people I met here in the OPTWFT and other threads, and I continue to meet new writer people all the time!

I STRONGLY urge you to find other beta readers to read your work. No family members or friends or boyfriends. Other writers who will give you a non-biased opinion and who also know about writing and are well read in YA (if that's what your book is--which I'm assuming it is since you're here ;)) As someone else suggested, you can always post that you are looking for a beta reader/crit partner (where you swap chapters or MSS) in the beta reader forum.

Good. I'm glad to know you like getting such positive feedback, because the manuscript I'm beta-ing right now is kind of like that. It's so well written I'm finding it difficult to come up with useful suggestions on how to improve it, and if I can't find ways to improve it, I feel like I'm failing the author.

And btw, that is so cool that someone likes your novel so much they can't put it down. Isn't that every writers' dream? :)

I feel that way too sometimes, but ya know, sometimes a book is just really well written with great pacing and no plot holes. It does happen LOL. Not saying mine is like that, but I'm not the kind of beta reader who LOOKS for something to be wrong. I also hate when beta readers try to turn my stories into their ideas and ways they would tell the story. That to me does not work. I feel like it doesn't always make it "better" just different, you know? It's MY story. Don't try to rewrite it, dang it! :)

:welcome: IDK
Also, melly, yayyyy for people liking your draft!! Is this the thriller one??

Yep! :D

Last edited:

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
I mostly hang out in SYW, but I usually stick to critting queries. Part of the reason I haven't put up my work over there yet is because I just don't think it's polished enough and I don't want to waste anyone's time. :p I wouldn't post it in there if I didn't feel it was my absolute best work/ready to send off to agents.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone, what's up?

Smiley! Dagnabbit, your new blog post is great! Really. You're, like, helping writers deal with crap, while over on my blog...um...I'm writing about eating (accidentally) lady-bugs. Something's just not right.

Mel! At first, I thought you said you were mulleting it around in your head. But, that's just me, I suppose. (And *ahem* I'm waiting to read!).

IDK! Is that a Hayao Miyazaki cat in your, whaddayacallit, avatar or whatever? Regardless, welcome! You couldn't have found a better bunch of writers and inspirational group. Old people are MUCH nicer than those damn youngsters!

I was really hoping to avoid the entire query and agent seeking process. Thus far, I have. I'd rather spend my time, you know, writing. Still would. But, sigh...do I need to take the leap into the abyss? (I have an epubber taking on my YA books, but I have a slew of adult thrillers that need a home and dog-gonnit, I think they're good and shouldn't languish in cyber-space!). So...looks like I'm going to be changing my status from "elderly statesman of the board" to "curious newbie, please don't be mean to me, I'm only beginning to develop that rhino-skin I hear so much about."

Kidding. I like mean. But y'all knew that. (My message still applies, though).

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
while over on my blog...um...I'm writing about eating (accidentally) lady-bugs. Something's just not right.

Lol, this is why I don't blog! The most interesting thing that happened to me today was when my ten-year-old student successfully dissolved a whole lollipop in his cup of water during our learnin' sesh.

IDK! Is that a Hayao Miyazaki cat in your, whaddayacallit, avatar or whatever? Regardless, welcome! You couldn't have found a better bunch of writers and inspirational group. Old people are MUCH nicer than those damn youngsters!

IT IS! Jiji is my most favorite black cat, aside from my IRL one, that is. :D Glad to be among you! I turn a quarter of a century next Tuesday. I'm firmly in the throes of my one-third-life-crisis. ;)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
IDK! Love Miyazaki's movies. Kiki's Delivery Service is a fave (well, all of 'em are, really). Anyone interested in writing YA fantasy should watch 'em, get inspired and have their minds blown. Plus, the characters are always relatable.

Seriously, blog anyway. I have a handful of folks who're interested in my latest gripes. I try to blog about writing sometimes. But, usually, the other stuff is more interesting (at least in my opinion. But, then again, Smiley just posted a GREAT blog entry).

Annnnnd, here's where we're gonna' have issues, you and me, IDK. You just turned 25?

Will someone come in here and tell IDK she ain't old? Anyone? I like IDK, I don't wanna' turn nasty. DON'T make me holler at her! IDK, 25 isn't old! Gah!

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
It is in my contract to have a blog. I try to update it twice a month, but yeah. It has no personality. Blogging about eating bugs would be an improvement.

Kansas, I suppose it depends on your goals for those novels. I am going the agent route because I would like to be published by one of the big six. (Is it the big five now with the Penguin/Random House merger?)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
I think anyone who has accidentally eaten a bug should blog about it. I really do. (Mainly 'cause I won't feel like such a fool. Get more than one fool together, you gotta crowd. Yay, bug-eating team!).

Whatever. Blog, folks. Doesn't matter about what. Keeps your writing bones cracking and gives you character for your (potential/forthcoming/existing) readers.

J.K! I'd LOVE to get published by one of the big guys. My problem is, I just don't have the patience to seek an agent out. I'm getting old and am currently living out my mid-life crisis. For most guys my age, that means super-model affairs and convertibles. For me, it means walking away from a huge-paying corporate job I was miserable at and writing for pennies. (And faithful to my wife and driving an eco-friendly piece of crap car). Don't care. I'm happy. I've gotta' write.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Hugs back at ya', Parump.

I guess my point is, over the past two and a half years, I wrote seven novels. I'm "unbottling." Getting all the past frustration from a horrible (yet, well-paying) job out of my system. I hate to stop when my muse is striking hot to seek out an agent. I'd prefer to keep on keepin' on. I'm ready to start my eighth book 'cause it seems right. I'm inspired. If I try and find an agent right now, I'm afraid it'll become a full-time ordeal and I won't get back to creating.

Issues. I've got issues.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas, when subbing to agents I usually write another book ;) (Okay I try. It usually ends up being super bad, haha!) I think in this day and age its hard to get by without an agent if you want to be traditionally published. HOWEVER there are SO many options out there. Self publishing, small press, e-book, e-press, agent/trad.book deal, etc. No one 'way' is totally right anymore.

(And w/my blog- thanks!! Not many people are good at blogging. I say that not in a mean way but I've just met sooo many writers who don't like to blog, or think it is hard to keep up with a schedule,etc.. For me, I LOVE it. I have always blogged, since like 2002...angsty teen stuff;))

My favorite Miyazaki film is Whisper of the Heart (about a girl who wants to be a writer). Princess Mononoke is another great one :D I enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle but felt the book was much much much stronger. Also love Kiki and The Cat returns:)

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley! I am e-pubbed. Got my YA series out there. First one should release in early 2013. I just don't want my junk to languish out in cyberville.

And, HELLO! Have you forgotten about "My Neighbor, Tortoro?" Shame on you!

I actually like blogging. It beats therapy.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas, I know you're e-pubbed ;) I was just speaking in general. And I had no idea it was a series --- awesome!!! Congrats on that! Will it all be Tex or is it like companion novels with diff protagonists etc?

(I also love My Neighbor Totoro)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
It is in my contract to have a blog. I try to update it twice a month, but yeah. It has no personality. Blogging about eating bugs would be an improvement.

Kansas, I suppose it depends on your goals for those novels. I am going the agent route because I would like to be published by one of the big six. (Is it the big five now with the Penguin/Random House merger?)

Actually, I think it will soon be the big four as I've heard that HC is merging with S&S. It's cray cray in the making I tell you!

ETA: Wasn't it you Smiley I got that info from? ;)

ETAA: Kansas, soon, I PROMISE!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley! Yep, it's a trilogy. They're (for the most part) self-contained YA murder mystery/fantasy/paranormal/comedic/romantic/social issue/suspense whats-its. (Whew.) And they take my (surviving) characters from their sophomore year in high school to graduation. Each book tackles topical issues. First one deals with bullying, second one's about identity and suburban gangs (I know that sounds silly, but it's based on a true story from last year), and the final one tackles gay lifestyles and religion (and yeah, Kansans LOVE to think they're mutually exclusive. Don't worry! I take care of the bad guys!)

They're done. Second one's currently under consideration at my publisher (they don't take a series at a time), so I don't want to put the cart before the horse just yet, but I should know soon. Fingers crossed. If they don't accept it, I'm a'gonna' self-pub the dang thing 'cause I want my message to get out there to kids it could help.

There's actually a spin-off novel from a character in the second book as well. But I don't want to talk about her yet 'cause she's totally the coolest character I've created and shrouded in mystery.

Last edited:

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Mel! "Cray-cray's" one of my fave new terms. Dropped it into my last two YA books. ('Kay, I know it's probably old by now, but then again, so am I). And...I'm waiting. Patiently. Very DAMN patiently. Don't make me go cray-cray!

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
LOL Mel, yes S&S and HC are *possibly* merging.

(I am a ridiculous wealth of pub knowledge. Next they just need to hire me ;))

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley! I gotta ask. How come all the numbers and punctuation marks in the title of your novel in progress? I mean, it's cool and stuff. And if it's pertinent to the content, I wanna' read it. Well, I wanna read it, anyway.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas, you are next on my list. I'm 80% done with the book I'm reading now. Should finish it today/tomorrow and then I'm reading Tex which is sitting on my desktop RIGHT NOW. :)

idontknowwhatimdoing

Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
IDK! Love Miyazaki's movies. Kiki's Delivery Service is a fave (well, all of 'em are, really). Anyone interested in writing YA fantasy should watch 'em, get inspired and have their minds blown. Plus, the characters are always relatable.

Seriously, blog anyway. I have a handful of folks who're interested in my latest gripes. I try to blog about writing sometimes. But, usually, the other stuff is more interesting (at least in my opinion. But, then again, Smiley just posted a GREAT blog entry).

Annnnnd, here's where we're gonna' have issues, you and me, IDK. You just turned 25?

Will someone come in here and tell IDK she ain't old? Anyone? I like IDK, I don't wanna' turn nasty. DON'T make me holler at her! IDK, 25 isn't old! Gah!

B-b-b-b-b-b-but but but but I'm not a teenager or college-er. And my students call me old! :p

I'm totally gonna blog, though. I just need to think of something to say...

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Aww thanks Kansas - yes like parump said I put it with numbers etc so it isn't searchable (I have an agent waiting on it). :)

omg Melly I am so excited for you editing and peeps reading your thriller. :D Good luck!

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Mel! Good luck with my book. But, ahem, I'm more excited to read yours! (Subtlety, thy name is Kansas).

IDK! Don't let me scare you off. Sigh. I guess 25 can be "the new old."

Smiley! Good title. And that makes sense. I was hoping you weren't going for that annoying trend where movie sequels incorporate numbers instead of letters into their titles. Drives me psycho (and it doesn't take much to drive my to Psychotown.).

Status
Not open for further replies.