FebNoWriMo!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with that, Cliff. :) I got lucky... Only one exam. It's for my online class too, so I get to choose when I get to take it. ;)

~Amber~

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like everyone's been pretty busy lately! Good luck on all the schoolwork, folks!

As for me... took a couple hours yesterday and did a complete read-through of my WIP. I was using my Nook, so I was able to bookmark places I needed to edit/change things, but other than that it was a complete start-to-finish read; the first time I've done that in one sitting. It's nice to be at a point where I can sit down and read it like a 'real' book, but I still had quite a few changes to make (though I think I'll hold off until next week and hopefully get some feedback from my betas before attempting another edit-through)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I had an oddly busy weekend, so I didn't get to put my head down and just plow through the remaining changes. Hopefully I'll get through them this week. I'd like them done by the end of Feb.

Oh, and did I mention I gotten into NYU medical school.

Congratulations! That's fantastic :partyguy:
I'm completing goals. :D Let's see what I've done so far...

Great job!

I'm refusing to look back at my goals until the last day of the month :tongue

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I just checked my goals for this month.

Finish editing TEC - Done.
Submit it to agents - Not quite, but hopefully before I'm back at Uni.
Edit something else - Ha! No frickin' way!
Complete and submit short story - Done.

I'd probably have gotten more done, but I've spent a crazy amount of time with family lately.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Congrats on your goals, Cliff. :D

--

Well, I did a small amount of writing. Just make myself feel better. Today, as stated earlier/up-thread, was not one of my best, to put it simply. I'm starting to think that I'm better at having a few funny scenes or what have you instead of an overall funny type theme; however, I don't know entirely yet. The overall feeling of it right now can be fixed in a rewrite I think. I might start to change the tone of it now though. Just to see if it fits better.

I do have a bit more homework/studying to do before I go to bed though. Hopefully, I can still go at a slightly reasonable time.

shayla.mist

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I'm seconding Cliff.

You guys are such talkers. I have a hard time keeping up :D

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
So, end of month progress report time (seems strange that it's come round again).

This month I have written 50,000 words, which means I reached my goal. I also managed to write and submit 4 new short stories and have started a new novel.

My changes to my typing method are still working through. Sometimes I am almost as fast as I used to be, other times I make around a hundred typos in a row.

Next month will be time for some soul searching as the major goal I set two years ago (to write a million words of fiction) will complete sometime in the next two weeks. So I have to decide what the next crazy goal will be.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I'm not sure how to rate this month's progress. I killed the story I started in January, revived it and then killed it again. On the other hand, I did enough planning to be able to start on my rewrite early and even managed to work up the courage to post in SYW. I'm still too traumatised to be able to figure out what stupid questions I should be asking about that story :p.

(Actually, I have a pretty good idea where to take that story next. It's when the next version turns out to be even worse that I'll have to start asking the stupid questions.)

Random thing - I just realised I still have my 2012 calendar on the wall. This was the first time in years that nobody gave me a new calendar for Christmas, so I've had nothing else to occupy that nail.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I just smashed my head against a query-letter-edit-o-doom.

It's now on version 4, heading to my Query Queen's emailhole. But seriously... It's killing me. Version 2 seemed to be pretty light with problems, then version 3 sucked worse than version 1. I'm sick of looking at it.

I should probably dust off the synopsis today as well... Need to make progress with that!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, after 4 or so days of getting nothing done, I'm being pretty productive today...

After struggling through editing the query, I read a bunch of pages of a book I'm working through (getting close to the end actually!) and then edited my synopsis.

Basically, my first draft of the synopsis was about 1 page and 8 lines. But that's no good - needed to be 1 page maximum, or use up most of the 2 pages if an agent will let me submit a 2-pager!

So I created 2 copies of the original file, and named them 1-page and 2-page. And just then I cut down about 9 lines, bringing me to 1 line under a full page. Hooray! It may not be perfect, but I also fixed up some trouble lines and bad word choices and the like.

So I'm going to let that sit and stew a bit while I figure out what to do with the 2-pager... Obviously I can go into more detail, but I still have to choose wisely which details go in.

Going to read more now. I want to finish reading this book by tomorrow at the latest.

shayla.mist

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday was a good day for me I wrote until almost midnight after I got home XD
But my eyes are killing me now LOL

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Cliff -- I think my current synopsis is about the same length (1 page + ~8 lines) I'm ignoring it for a few more days; it's my March project. Most of the agents I've looked at seem pretty flexible; most had guidelines stating "1-2 pages" for the synopsis.

FEB GOALS - done. I finished my big, bad Feb edit, wrote a decent query letter, compiled my list of agents to research (94 of them), and got started on a rough draft of a synopsis. I woke up this morning to emails from two of my beta readers (yay!) so it looks like I'll have something to work towards the next (dare I say final?) revision.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
All right, I'm going to suck it up and see what I said my goals were.

Finish getting the cut-through pass into the computer

Not quite there, and I don't think I'll make it tonight. If I focus on it, I could finish by tomorrow, though.

Finally revise the stack of stories I have from W1S1 last year, and get them submitted

Hahaha! No. I think I'm going to have to be more specific next month :tongue

Start plotting the new novel (I don't generally plot, so I expect this to take time)

Nope. Didn't even think about it. /fail

Keep on top of my chores (I am really bad at this, so it needs to be a goal)

Despite my current stack of dishes, I have actually managed to do this. Enough that I don't think I need to make it a specific goal next month :)

Find a way to pull off exercise and writing, instead of one of the other

I actually managed this, too. I'm only exercising three days a week, but it's working out. It means I am doing both during the same time period, which historically I'm not good at.

Hrm... Meh, not great, but not too bad.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Ended up with an unexpected extra hour of free time due to professor illness. He's one of my favorite professors, but I'm actually a little relieved because I've felt lightheaded most of the day and I've already spent $8 on food and drink (on top of what I brought to eat and drink today) to make sure I don't pass out... Extra time to rest and relax is a good thing...

~Amber~