Sexless Historical Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

RationalIdealist

Registered
Reaction score
I believe there are authors out there publishing "clean" regency romances, some of them through Christian publishing houses. Julie Klassen is a name that comes to mind, although I haven't actually read any of her books, so I don't know how much sex they do or don't have. In any case, you wouldn't necessarily be treading new ground.

Since I'm not published myself, my advice may be worthless, but I'd say write the story the way you believe it should be written and submit. If an agent or publisher tells you it needs more sex, then you can decide what you want to do about it.

Also, there's always the option of tacking on a wedding night epilogue. You can draw the curtain at whatever point you think is appropriate.

I second this.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
"No sex, please! We're British!"

Had to get that in there somewhere. Desert Breeze, home to what, 8? of my novels (I've lost track), prefers romance, including historicals, in the PG/G range. Your project would be right in line with what they like to publish. They have a Christian line-up and a general market selection. You might want to look their web site up and see if it might be a good fit for your story.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
"No sex, please! We're British!"

Had to get that in there somewhere. Desert Breeze, home to what, 8? of my novels (I've lost track), prefers romance, including historicals, in the PG/G range. Your project would be right in line with what they like to publish. They have a Christian line-up and a general market selection. You might want to look their web site up and see if it might be a good fit for your story.

Thanks Deb! When you say PG/G what are the limits in your mind (personally, as an author, I mean)? Just kissing? Or anything else? I hear the word "clean romance" a lot, but I am not sure what - besides a sex scene - this would exclude.

My characters kiss, hand hold, etc. Nothing below the waist and nothing with breasts. To be honest, with the current story I'm working on, when they finally kiss I don't even mention tongues.

It isn't prudery. My last contemporary had sex scenes. But for the regency ones it just suits my character better to have it less explicit.

Status
Not open for further replies.