Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
So, my parents refuse to acknowledge the fact that I write erotic romance. They call it smut, which is fine. I've taken the word away from them and call my book smut sometimes, because they are. ;) They are also, IMO, good stories. My parents seem to think I write scenes about pizza delivery guys with extra large sausage. :p

Imagine my surprise when I won the reader's choice for erotic romance at Romcon. I was so sure I didn't have a chance I didn't attend the awards ceremony. Doh. I talked to my mom last night and let her know I write award winning smut. For the first time she seemed to actually acknowledge my work and revealed that other nurses at her work read erotic romance. ;)

To all my fellow authors that take crap for writing steamy romance, take heart and remember that with hard work you too will someday
shove your success in some assholes face. ;)

PS- I tied for erotic romance with Jayne Rylon who is a fantastic writer and you should check her stuff out if you like it smuttaaayyy.
10298996_646384152096908_745679864433184966_n.jpg

Andieee

Potatoes gon' potate.
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome! Congrats on the award and on achieving your mother's acknowledgement, which is even a bigger reward. :D

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Well done for you for writing what you enjoy, congratulations for winning your award!!!!

Cereus

Few Nish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, good for you. I've never read erotic fiction before and I just purchased your award-winning erotic romance on Amazon. : )

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! Congratulations!

I've been having problems with my husband on this issue. :-( He just really does not get it. And my being Highly Commended for Best Published Paranormal Romance in the Passionate Plume hasn't made much of a dent either.
I guess one has to actually win first prize for family to acknowledge.

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm terrified of my parents finding out what I'm working on, honestly. I've considered editing out all sexual references and publishing under a pen name. How did you handle telling them?

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
StarWombat- I'm not going to pretend part of my life doesn't exist, or that it's not a real job, or constantly have to worry about lying to my entire family and everyone I know. I'm a grown woman and if they can't handle it that's their deal. I'd rather be honest and deal with their crazyness now from a good moral standing than have to deal with the after effects of living a lie. If that makes any sense.

As far as telling them I flat out told my mom I was starting to write romance, steamy romance, and my mom just looked uncomfortable and changed the subject. At first I got the 'when are you going to write a real book/stop writing trash' but once I started pulling in real money they shut up about writing a real book. ;)

Edit to add- I don't push it with them because they're entitled to their opinion and sexuality truly makes them uncomfortable, bless their hearts, so I'm not running around ramming it down their throat, but if I mention it in a polite manner (ie I'm working on a book with a nurse right now vs I just wrote a fucktastic M/M/M/F/M/F/TV/Unicorn blowjob scene) they just have to deal with their butt holes tightening in displeasure.

Last edited:

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
That makes sense. Thanks for that, and again, congratulations.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, you Smutty gal! :D That's cool your mother may be "getting it". :) Good for you!

That award looks so pretty! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.