What are you reading?

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold, I've been told what a marvelous writer she is and I've never actually tried any of her books. So far I'm pleasantly surprised at what a nice, easy, but elegant writing style she has. The book's world, which seems a bit Renaissance Italy based is intriguing, I'm curious to see where she takes it.

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
The Regulators by "Richard Bachman"

Thus far, I don't understand what all the hatred is for it. I'm about 210 pages in and I'm loving every word of it. Definitely an underrated book from what I've read thus far.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Destiny of the Republic, by Candice Millard. A history of James A. Garfield, possibly the best President of the U.S. who never quite was. A genuinely admirable, talented man, who reluctantly became President at exactly the time the nation needed a great leader, and very well could have been that person, only to have been assassinated by a delusional monomaniac religious fanatic four months into his Presidency. Brilliant book.

Millard previously published another terrific historical nonfiction book, The River of Doubt, about Theodore Roosevelt's last major expedition, and an equally wonderful read. I recommend both.

caw

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
Up Jumps the Devil by Michael Poore. It was recommended somewhere here on the boards, sounded interesting, so I picked it up. It's a very good satire; funny, witty, and I highly recommend.

DarkSongofErrin

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the Silmarillion by Tolkien today. I really liked it. A lot of tragedy in it, the elves definitely didn't have the greatest of times in middle earth... But there is also a lot of heroism.

Need to get a new book now.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg. Also a collection of short stories titled Birds of a Lesser Paradise by Megan Mathew Bergman.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Hey, lookit this thread!
I just finished Steve King's The Stand - yeah, a staple, I know. I'm now onto Dead Until Dark by Charmaine Harris - I just love her stuff! (a very different tone than the TV show as well).

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I am really impressed with the writing in The Middlestein. Color me green with jealousy. Describing a ceremony from the eyes of the long-time neighbors as a Greek chorus was brilliant move.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Best American Non-Required Reading 2012.

I get this collection every year, and I have to say I'm scratching my head over a lot of the stories this year. Dave Eggers is still the overall editor, but perhaps there are a bunch of new faces on the committee who've taken things in a new direction that I don't quite connect with.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
This Is Where I Leave You - Jonathan Tropper

So far, so good. The voice is excellent. But I've read maybe 5 pages :)

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
A little more than halfway through Life of Pi. Quite loving it so far. This is the third book in my "Seen the Movie, Now Read the Book" mini-marathon/reading list. (One and two were American Psycho and Pride and Prejudice. Respectively.)

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
At the Mouth of the River of Bees: Stories by Kij Johnson. The first story, 26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss, is not to be missed. Very cute, clever story.

Last edited:

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Good Girls Revolt (Lynn Povich), Bringing Down the House (Ben Mezrich) and Hunted (Brian Haig). About to start The Finish, Mark Bowden's book about the hunt for Osama.