When writing a comic script; how much detail for an artist

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADutchWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently working on my first idea for a comic script and I am wondering how much details an artist in general needs from a writer in order to depict a scene somewhat as the writer has it in mind.

Someone has shown me descriptions examples before, some writers just providing a basic storyline, the characters, dialogues, perhaps some descriptions of some elements within the story while leaving the rest for the artist to imagine.

Then there are writers who descriptions per panel, describing the characters (looks on their faces, current pose and position), various objects, the background, and of course when something goes on, all the details on that.

I have written several dozens of panels now and have mostly focused on the characters and not so much their surroundings outside some panels here and there where I feel it is needed.

But is it better to add as much details as possible as what is depicted on a panel, including the setting even if it is a re use of what was seen in the previous panel, or can in general an artist work what should be shown on the background if a writer just adds that it is a follow up of the previous panel, just perhaps changing perspective and angles somewhat.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, I think it depends on the artist. Some might like panel per panel description, or even a storyboard and documentation, some might like to decide all that themselves.

I think it will also depend on the business relation. If the artist is on your payroll, then be as thorough and descriptive as you like. If the artist is a a fellow creator and on the same foot/level as the script-writer, too much micromanaging maydrive the artist away.

ADutchWriter

Registered
Reaction score
That is interesting advice.
I have to confess that I have not found an artist yet and my intention is to write a couple of scripts and find some people here who are willing to go through them and give me feedback, or that I perhaps post them here in order to get such.

I want to make a good impression, that is also why I want my first script to be as good as possible.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember the title, but the editor asked 12 comic book artists/writers how they do their books.

And got 12 different answers.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Bear in mind you can also provide the artist with notes, a "storyboard" with rough stick figure sketches, maybe even a prose story if you based your comic off this, which can help fill in the extra details they'll need to visualize the pages/panels. The script can be as detailed or as lean as you wish, but the artist has to know what you want to appear in the comic. Don't leave anything out if it's important.

All of which is probably overstating the obvious! Good luck with your projects.

Gotta say, I haven't seen anyone post comic scripts in Share Your Work for feedback in a while... or maybe ever. I'm not sure what kind of response you'll get when you do this.

-Derek

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you attend Comic Cons, but at some they have panels where comic book writes and artists do Q & A's about writing, set-ups, working together etc. If you go to Cons attending one of those panels might help

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:
First time in this sub-forum.
I think it will also depend on the business relation. If the artist is on your payroll, then be as thorough and descriptive as you like. If the artist is a a fellow creator and on the same foot/level as the script-writer, too much micromanaging maydrive the artist away.
^ This
*bolding mine

This happened to me as an artist.
I was promised an equal-parts creative partnership. They really wanted work for hire without paying for it. It ended poorly.
I pretty much stopped doing collaborative work after that.

To the OP's question
In the past, I've worked best with either a storyboard or general scene descriptions. Though, honestly most methods can be made to work as long as there's a good dialogue between writer and artist about the project and expectations.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
When in doubt, do it both ways. Write your detailed script first, then write it again with only the bare minimum descriptions needed to follow the story. This way you'll be ready for anything.

A comic script can take many forms. It can look like a screenplay, or it can be something as simple as a list of events (some writers don't add dialogue until after the art is finished). Writers who draw their own stuff sometimes don't even bother writing scripts at all (not readable ones anyway). Which method you use will depend on what you and the artist are comfortable with.

ADutchWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Benpanced, a friend of mine today also have me a link to a website today that also had different formats/layouts? (don't know the right English word at the moment) used by various writers.

While I plan to finish my own take first, I will have a look at these other script layouts later, and if one seems better I will convert my script to that layout.

dpaterso,

Bear in... it's important.
I understand, but sometimes it is not so clear on what there should actually be shown on the panel, or what panel just serves to move on the conversation so to speak where action, characters poses, and background play a less of important role.

Of course I would provide as much information whenever possible but it would be redundant to describe the same room, area, or location over and over again per panel when it does not play a role.

I had not thought about the stick figure one yet.

Gotta say, I haven't seen anyone post comic scripts in Share Your Work for feedback in a while... or maybe ever. I'm not sure what kind of response you'll get when you do this.
Oh, I do hope that that will not result in being unable to find any people who would be willing to read my script and provide me feedback or would be willing to help me make corrections and fixes.

regdog,

Unfortunate they don't hold those in my part of the Netherlands, or very regularly.
We do have a couple of big comic conventions a couple of times a year but I don't know when they are planned for this year.

Isilya,

I might want to have a talk with you once I feel my first script is finished, asking you to have a look over it and tell me what is good and what can be improved.

Last edited:

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score

Oh, I do hope that that will not result in being unable to find any people who would be willing to read my script and provide me feedback or would be willing to help me make corrections and fixes.

You may have better luck on more comic oriented forums such as Penciljack, Comic Book Resources and possibly some corners of Reddit. Reddit however in my experience is hit or miss; if you can find niche subReddit that's great, but also prepared to be trolled.

LosScandalous

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Dutch,

I think Isilya has found the quote of the thread, but as people mentioned before, it all depends on the artist. You may pay the artist and she/he may have excellent storytelling skills already, which in that case you want to utilized to the fullest extent.

Maybe obvious, but I think finding the artist that loves to draw the kind of stories you want to tell is key. Doesn't matter if you are paying them or not(you should pay them), they will be more enthusiastic about the work and are more likely to make it shine.

Also, check out Brian Bendis's Words for Pictures. Great book with lots of info and art. Good luck, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.