So what's for dinner?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're ever in the mood to try something a little different and (IMO) even more delicious, use dark beer instead of red wine.

Trust me. :)
Oh, gosh, yes. Beef and dark beer go together amazingly well. Phenomenally well. Fabulously well. Died-and-gone-to-heaven well.

A.V. Hollingshead

Vive la révolution littéraire!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ophiucha.tumblr.com
Just finished a gnocchi dish with a spinach-ricotta sauce. I may have made too much; it's been ages since I had gnocchi and I forgot how filling it was. :p

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Got a new cast iron roaster so I'm cooking a chicken with onions and carrots, and bakIng potatoes to go with it.
It smells delicious
I want a cast iron roaster. Alas, it's not in the cards for now.

I made deer, broccoli, and mushroom in hoisin sauce served over basmati rice. It was good. :)

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I made salmon for the first time ever. It was surprisingly easy...though I might need more practice on how to get the skin off. I used a rub that included brown sugar, paprika, cocoa powder, chili powder and cumin.

I paired it with a corn and bean salad.

My husband put it on the must make again list. Yay!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I made salmon for the first time ever. It was surprisingly easy...though I might need more practice on how to get the skin off.

Were you removing the skin before or after cooking? Was it a whole salmon or a side or filets? What was your cooking method?

Maybe we can help. :)

I love salmon; we probably have it a couple of times a month.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i'm making a spinach salad with thin slivers of beets, shredded carrots, roasted walnuts, goat cheese. i'm going to pair it with baked brie stuffed with raspberry preserves.

i am only making the salad to force me to eat beets, which i'm not too fond of. =)

eta: kewii, i always brush a little mayo over my salmon, (for moistness) before cooking.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Tonight is Taco Salad.

Breakfast was salmon sashimi and a red pepper.

Yesterday's dinner was squirrel in white wine, rosemary, and chicken stock with a bit of tomato paste and garlic.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I got that, a baking dish and a cornbread pan for twelve bucks. It was a steal.

Massively jealous. In Singapore, each piece would cost around S$200-300. Absolute ripoff.

Today, I'm making goat massaman curry. First time I've had it/made it, and so far, it tastes and smells good. Had to triple the chilli powder, of course.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Meatballs and pan gravy on rice.

One of my favourits as a kid, but I've fixed it up a bit. No Bisto in the gravy, and I added some of the caramelized onions that I made and froze a month ago. Did them in the crock pot, portioned them, froze them. Perfect for when you want onions in gravy, fast.

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Were you removing the skin before or after cooking? Was it a whole salmon or a side or filets? What was your cooking method?

Maybe we can help. :)

I love salmon; we probably have it a couple of times a month.

I removed the skin before. I did read that it was easier after, but someone mentioned that in the oven, it was better to do it before.

I cooked it in the oven, at about 450, for 10 minutes (in vented tinfoil)

Tonight's dinner will probably be a sandwich, since I'll be catching a flight.

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
I am using a crock pot for the first time tonight. I used 2 chicken breasts, 1/2 onion, 1 cup rice, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, 1/2 cup Italian vinaigrette, and 2 cups of water. So far, the house smells amazing, but I have no idea if it will be done in time for dinner. We might be eating at midnight lol.

I'm thinking that I should have used chicken broth instead of water. I wonder if it is too late to throw some bullion in.

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
stepped over to the local cafe and had a fajita loca-- grilled chicken, onions and peppers on a bed of rice with a tortilla on the side. very filling and i only had half. the other half is in the fridge--s6

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I removed the skin before. I did read that it was easier after, but someone mentioned that in the oven, it was better to do it before.

I cooked it in the oven, at about 450, for 10 minutes (in vented tinfoil)

Tonight's dinner will probably be a sandwich, since I'll be catching a flight.

I do salmon in the oven all the time. Oven at 400, lay it on some foil for easier clean up. A little olive oil underneath. If it still has the skin, skin side up for 10 minutes. Take it out, use tongs to grab the skin at the small end and peel it right off. A little more olive oil and whatever seasoning I feel like. Back in the oven for 10 more minutes.

MM

thehundreds

Registered
Reaction score
I've had an urge for nachos for the longest time, decided to stop by a local joint and order some. This place has things on the menu like "Kobe hot dog," so I was expecting nachos that are at least above average. Of course they turn out to be some of the worst nachos I've ever had. Velveeta is one thing, but whatever they put on these nachos . . . it was just very bad. So bad that I took the toppings and made off with them halfway through my meal so I could make my own at home.

Which is probably what I should have done all along. Oh well!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I'm really not sure what to call this, but I might make an egg dish where you cut a hole in the center of a slice of bread with a biscuit cutter or top of drinking glass, heat butter in a large skillet on medium, put the slices of bread in, plop an egg in the middle of each slice, cook for about three minutes, turn over each slice and toast the other side for about a minute.

Might put a hollandaise sauce on it. We usually eat two a piece and use rye bread.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
I'm really not sure what to call this, but I might make an egg dish where you cut a hole in the center of a slice of bread with a biscuit cutter or top of drinking glass, heat butter in a large skillet on medium, put the slices of bread in, plop an egg in the middle of each slice, cook for about three minutes, turn over each slice and toast the other side for about a minute.

Might put a hollandaise sauce on it. We usually eat two a piece and use rye bread.

My sister makes these for easter, and calls them eggs in a basket.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
Stromboli. Rather, pizza dough rolled around ham, turkey, parmesan sauce, and mozzerella.

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stormie, that's commonly called Toad-in -the-Hole in the US and Canada.

I get some wonderful ideas for food here and I want to say thanks.

Last night, in honour of Pie Day, I made a crustless egg pie with spinach, mushrooms, beef bacon, and Roquefort cheese. I mixed in some thick, unsweetened coconut milk as well. Tasty as all get out, but so rich we had to set half of it aside for tonight.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
Right now corn beef and cabbage is cooking in the oven for tomorrow, and I've snacked on crackers and cheese for tonight. It sure smells good though.