W1S1 Short Fiction 2012--Sign Up Here!

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the ones I've looked at subbing to have either 3k or 5k top limits, so you've got quite a few choices :) (there's also some under that, for flash and such)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I must be looking at the wrong market then. Because on the publishers that do my "genre", i.e. Interracial Romance, I saw 5,000 words to 15,000 words for a short story.

I'm also trying to branch out and write other genres. I'm really looking at writing Fantasy and Paranormal/Supernatural.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Please may I join in with this. I'll put myself down for a story every two weeks. I really need this so thank you for doing it.
Of course you may! :) Welcome to the Short Fiction Challenge, Alice! :hooray:

If we do this, is there a certain word count we have to meet?
Nope :) You just need to write as many stories per week/month as you've planned to. A story could be as short as 140 characters (twitter fiction), or as long as 15,000 words (novelette)--or even longer if you really want to.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I'd like to do a W1S1 short story challenge, but I know I can't make one story a month while also doing the novel challenge. Would it be possible sign up to do one story every other month? (so 6 in a year)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
You sure can! That's my plan for next year, too, actually :)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
I'll signup! :) I'm writing my novel at the moment and don't know if I'll get to a short story every month but my goal would be 9 out of 12 months a short story will be written. :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Off to sharpen a pencil then. Er, when do we start? Or is that a really stooopid question?
You can start whenever you want :)

Also, we've got plenty of hangout places here in the W1S1 forum, too. There's The W1S1 Check-in Lounge and Bar for general W1S1 chitchat and hanging out, Rejectomancy, where we can all commiserate and compare our rejections, Braggage, for sharing our good news, and plenty of other threads, too.

Of course, hanging out in the SFF cantina is a good idea as well. That way we can spread the word! :D

I'll signup! :) I'm writing my novel at the moment and don't know if I'll get to a short story every month but my goal would be 9 out of 12 months a short story will be written. :)
w00t! Sounds like a good plan. :welcome: to the Short Fiction challenge, MysteryRiter! :snoopy:

Last edited:

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
I saw a number of people having fun with this last year. Count me in! I shall start on weekly flash and then see how it goes after March.

tea

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I've been wanting to do this since I heard about it last year. So boom! Here we are. :D

My goal is one completed story each month. Let's make it happen, 2012!

rialrees

Registered
Reaction score
well hi there! came across this from the website, and randomly found out it was still connected to aw! So count me in!

I think the monthly for me, as I'll be working on my first draft ms too. Will be good to have shorter projects to work on, and practice with subs!

ohthatmomagain

writing, working, weeping, winning
Registered
Reaction score
This is something I think I can do especially if it's Flash/nano/twitter fiction (my new favorite things :) ). I've sub 2 tonigh so I've met my weekly goal already :)