November 14, 2012 at AW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
When I log in, at the bottom of the screen I see how many users are online. And every time lately, this appears just below it:

Most users ever online was 2,753, 11-14-2012 at 08:48 PM.

So, what happened at AW on that evening to cause so many of us to be online at the same time? I was probably here too ... but why? Something special?

Just curious.
:Shrug:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was the day they handed out the $1000 prizes to everyone who had been a member for at least two years and were here that day.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't want to mention the cars. Those only went to people who had been here five years or more.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We spent your prize money on a party.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The site adjusts for your time zone.

Ha, I figured that out so changed my post. Now yours makes no sense. ;)

But really, usually there's fewer than 800 here at a time - so something momentous must have been going on, to attract 1900 more.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now your comment above makes no sense.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I have no idea why there were more users that day. I might guess it was because of the time of year and/or weather. It might not have have been a great day to be out and about in either hemisphere so people were home and logged on.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Just checked the calendar - it was a Wednesday evening, I would have been at work. Rats! Missed all the fun.

Although I could have been reading along, without signing in - guess that's why I miss out on the $1k. I don't mind missing the lap dances.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This question comes up periodically, although the date concerned changes. Previous answers have been that the site had been down for maintenance just prior to that time, and lots of anxious members logged in; faulty settings, and a glitch after playing around with the settings.

Every time, it was ultimately entirely cray's fault.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or Dawno. She hasn't been on in yonks and yonks and yonks, so that might have been a crowd swell on the rumor she'd actually logged on for once.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I see this date was in the middle of November, when many of us are actually writing (!), and keeping a public display of our wordcount for the month...
This question comes up periodically, although the date concerned changes. Previous answers have been that the site had been down for maintenance just prior to that time, and lots of anxious members logged in; faulty settings, and a glitch after playing around with the settings.

So it was CRAY who caused the server for http://nanowrimo.org to fail that day...

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
On another writing forum I go to they have the most users ever online for them on 11-13-12, one day before here. Something happened those two days. I've noticed the coincidence for some time now, but never made any mention. One of those things, I guess.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
On another writing forum I go to they have the most users ever online for them on 11-13-12, one day before here. Something happened those two days. I've noticed the coincidence for some time now, but never made any mention. One of those things, I guess.

Took a look for myself.

True:

Skyscrapercity - November 7, 2012 (27 103)
Skyscraperpage - November 16, 2012 (5 455)

False:

OverClocked ReMix - August 3, 2011 (1 143)
Connect2Edmonton - April 12, 2011 (1 485)
Cosmoquest - May 21, 2013 (2 634)
OpenOffice.org Forum - May 11, 2008 (674)

May have been a bot surge at the time.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Sophia: This question comes up periodically, although the date concerned changes. Previous answers have been that the site had been down for maintenance just prior to that time, and lots of anxious members logged in; faulty settings, and a glitch after playing around with the settings.

It was a strong energy day. Literally. Astrologically, geologically: there was planetary alignment / earthquake watch, as this two+ minute video explains: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=949y7HddIL0 .

Then again, I guess it coulda been Cray's fault. I don't know much about Cray except what I've read, including this little tidbit:
Apr 2, 2009 ... Typical cray. He lures you in with promises of alcohol and HBO, and before you know it you're face down on the carpet with your pants...

Oh. I think I may have said too much.
That was written by quickWit.

I guess it coulda been quickWit's fault. . .

:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.