Book Blog Tour Comparison

AmyAuthor

Registered
Reaction score
As an author, I want more reviews. As a reviewer, I have an extremely hard time paying for something that I do for other people at no charge. Still, I want the boost of a Book Tour- so I'm doing some research. After getting some sound advice from author friends, scouring Google, and browsing the posts here at the Water Cooler, I've come up with a list of legitimate-looking blog tour hosts that I'm considering.

I'm hoping that this post will be helpful to someone, and also to spark a discussion that might help me. I'm just an outsider looking in, and would love to hear from some of you who have used these services, or know of others.

Here goes... from most to least bang for your buck (Disclaimer: in calculating "bang" I did not weigh in the probable inverse relationship between price and quality of reviews.)

Bookmonster "Name Before the Masses" tour
http://www.bmptours.com
$50 gets you 22-31 book reviews. That's $2.27 per review, max.
My opinion: This is by far the cheapest place I've seen. It's tempting, but something smells fishy. There are a lot of broken links and a lot of sponsors at .blogspot.com. Nothing explicitly wrong with it, but something's off.

Orangeberry: "OpsMore60" plan
http://www.orangeberrybooktours.com
$290 gets you 60 book reviews. That's $4.83 per review.
My opinion: Well, not many people had nice things to say about Orangeberry at the Absolute Write Water Cooler. As a reviewer myself, I've been asked to review books that had a heck of a lot of 4 & 5 star Amazon reviews, all the same length, all original but somehow flat. Those books don't pan out. I've got a sneaking suspicion that services like this use a lot of fake pseudonyms. On the other hand, that's a lot of reviews for not much money. Is it worth a risk? Maybe.

Reading Addiction: "Mixed Addiction" tour - on 15% sale for the month of March
http://readingaddictionvbt.blogspot.com/
$64 gets you 10 reviews. That's $6.38 per review. (If you book in March)
My opinion: That seems like a fair price, and I heard decent things here at the Water Cooler. However, their website isn't exactly beautiful and I have a hard time giving money to someone who's too cheap to buy their own URL. Still, I'll consider it.

Promotional Book Tours: "Just Reviews" Tour
www.promotionalbooktours.com
$125 for 10 reviews. That's $12.50 per review.
My opinion: They guarantee Goodreads and Amazon reviews as well, which is good. I haven't heard anything bad about them, but maybe I didn't look deep enough. It seems like a decent mid-range gamble. Professional website, etc.

Kismet Book Tours: currently closed to new books
http://www.kismetbt.com/
$320 gets you 20 reviews (I've heard). That's $16 per review.
My opinion: Those numbers are hear-say. It got good recommendations from some author friends, and I guess they have a selection process of sorts. If your book is coming out in 2015, research them in advance. I'm sad I missed my chance.

Premier Virtual Author Book Tours: Basic 25 blog tour - 20% off for indie authors
www.litfusegroup.com
$599 for 25 reviews, plus other appearances. That's 23.97 per review.
My opinion: It's not cheap- and if you aren't an indie author, the price is a lot higher. I inquired about pricing plans and got a strangely formatted, badly edited email. The site is sparse and rather suspicious as well. But like everyone else in the world, I'm a sucker for getting 20% off.

Book Nerd Tours: "The Super Nerd"
www.booknerdtours.com
$225 gets you 6 or 7 reviews, plus some extra guest posts/interviews and whatnot. That's $37.50 per review, max.
My opinion: The reviewer in me is happy that they don't guarantee too many reviews- it makes me think people will actually, honestly, read and review the book with the intention of reaching their own set of fans. Book bloggers are swamped, and the legit ones don't read just any book- they read books they think they'll like. They don't say nice things about just any book either, and I want to hear an honest opinion. But the author in me says, "More reviews! That's not enough reviews for two hundred dollars!"

Novel Publicity: Personalized Tours
www.novelpublicity.com/
$1,000 gets you 20 blog spots. That's $50 per review.
My opinion: That's a heck of a lot, and it doesn't even say if the 20 blog appearances are reviews or not. I'm not going to pay for it, but my publisher works with them (or maybe an affiliate of theirs) and I believe they are legit. Shell out the big bucks, and it might be worth it. They do guarantee a certain amount of traffic on the blogs, so that's a plus.

TLC Book Tours: The ten-blog tour
http://tlcbooktours.com/services/
$549 gets you 10 reviews. That's $54 per review!!!
My opinion: Holy cow! That's expensive. Like a grocery shopper looking at over-priced organic food, my first impression is, "They must be legit." But even if they are, is it worth it? I'm not sure.

Oh God there's so many... Here are more, which I did not include because they either specialize in specific genres or don't mention actual reviews:
firstwildcardtours.blogspot.com/
pumpupyourbook.com
litfusegroup.com
bewitchingbooktours.blogspot.com/
blogbooktours.blogspot.com/
buythebooktours.com/
goddessfish.com

I'll be posting more findings at my blog, www.amyrbiddle.com. In the meantime, I'd love to know what's worked for other authors!!

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
Amy, thanks so much for the scoop. I'm curious if these sites offer predominantly positive reviews. I guess they must or they'd risk losing their authors but, as a reader, I'm disappointed.

No wonder I gravitate to the 3-star comments.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I've used Goddess Fish Promotions and had a great experience and I'm using them again in 2 weeks.

There is no guarantees from any of these blogs to get positive reviews. You'll get an HONEST review. Keep in mind when you do something like a blog tour, not all blogs will do a review.

For my blog tour only a handful did a review and some were 3 stars, one was a five star. The bloggers were brutally honest.

For me, I will not pay anyone for a review. I will give away copies in exchange for an honest review and I use goodreads for that. As for reviews with blog tours, I just look at that as a bonus to getting my cover/blurb on as many blogs as possible just for the exposure.

As for Goddess Fish specifically, I find them very professional and their prices are very fair.

Also, I've found that sometimes some of these book tour providers specialize in certain genres so make sure you look at the blogs they work with and check out their past tours.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's all very well getting reviews, but if they're not anywhere that your potential readers will see them, they're worthless.

Do these places promise reviews on Amazon, etc.? Or are they on obscure blogs which very few people ever read? That's really significant.

ETA: This is helpful information, though, and it's kind of you to post it. Also, I just read the blurb for your novel on Amazon and it's great. Really well done.

Celeste Carrara

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
I just wanted to pick up on what Old Hack mentioned.

To speak again specifically about the tour company I used, (Goddess Fish) their bloggers post their reviews on Amazon & some also post it on Goodreads. Of course it goes on their blog too.

This is why it's really important to check out what blogs the company works with. Check the blogs followers and how they reviewed other books & where their reviews show up. Basically, do your homework! ;-)

AmyAuthor

Registered
Reaction score
Homework is hard! This is all good advice, though. I had written off Goddess Fish due to the description they had of the genres they deal in: I didn't think my book would fit in. But they replied to my email inquiry about the genre, and they seem honest and practical. I'm going with them, for now. I can actually afford it!

Thanks for the help! I'll report back to let you know how it goes.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping someone can come by and tell me a little more about doing a book tour. Do you have to pay? Or are there free ones out there?

AmyAuthor

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Undercover!

You absolutely do not have to pay to get a review on a book blog! You CAN pay for a third party to arrange multiple reviews, as you can see by the above post. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on whether or not paying is a good idea.

Another option is to pound the pavement. Search for blogs on your own and ask if they will review your book. In my experience, it's hard enough to get a "yes," let alone set up a schedule. Out of 50-some bloggers I approached individually, I got seven reviews, spaced out over 6 months. It took a lot of time and effort. But it was a good start.

At Underground Book Reviews, we've collected a pretty good list of book blog directories, which is a good place to start if you want to contact bloggers directly: http://www.undergroundbookreviews.com/links.html

Best of luck!

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Amy, I have zero info on blog tours, but I checked out your book on Amazon. Sounds like something I'd like to read - will it be available as an e-book? And - not just for Kindle?

/sorry for derail

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on whether or not paying is a good idea.

The general consensus is that it's a bad idea. At best a waste of money and at worst, it could actively count against your book's success.

It's almost certain that most of the places which charge for reviews are only read by the authors who pay for those reviews. The reviews are not read by the people who might buy your book, nor by anyone who might be able to put them in front of your potential readers: so what's the point in signing up to them?

We've discussed this several times before on AW.

Here are some of those threads. There are others: if you're interested in finding out more, run a quick search.

At Underground Book Reviews, we've collected a pretty good list of book blog directories, which is a good place to start if you want to contact bloggers directly: http://www.undergroundbookreviews.com/links.html

Best of luck!

It's kind of you to help but please be cautious about advising people check out your own blog like that: it could be considered spamming.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Keep in mind that the reviewers are not in fact paid by any legit blog tour company I know of. The fee is for the coordinator. You might want to consider Goddess Fish tours. (ETA: I wrote that before seeing it had already been suggested).

Last edited: