Not sure what to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I have an odd question, and mods, if this isn't where it goes, please feel free to move it.

Here's the story-- I have a book coming out in Slovenia in August, and the formal launch in October. I am thrilled and excited and can't wait. However, only the Slovene rights have been sold. It will come out both in Slovene for the general public and in English to be sold at the airport there in Ljubljana.

The problem is-- my husband's boss wants to have a Book Release Party for me. I guess I could buy some books in English and have them shipped here for the party, but how do I do the tax situation-- do I charge tax and then remit the funds to the requisite governmental offices? I'd have to get a tax number to do that (I doubt I could sell them under my agricultural business permit). Pass them out at the party for a donation? Give them away and "eat" the expense?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I have an odd question, and mods, if this isn't where it goes, please feel free to move it.

Here's the story-- I have a book coming out in Slovenia in August, and the formal launch in October. I am thrilled and excited and can't wait. However, only the Slovene rights have been sold. It will come out both in Slovene for the general public and in English to be sold at the airport there in Ljubljana.

The problem is-- my husband's boss wants to have a Book Release Party for me. I guess I could buy some books in English and have them shipped here for the party, but how do I do the tax situation-- do I charge tax and then remit the funds to the requisite governmental offices? I'd have to get a tax number to do that (I doubt I could sell them under my agricultural business permit). Pass them out at the party for a donation? Give them away and "eat" the expense?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Won't you be paying the required taxes when you purchase the books? If you're buying them and paying the tax in Slovenia at the point of purchase (I'm assuming), and then selling them, you're essentially getting reimbursed. Paying them taxes again would be paying double, wouldn't it?

Technically, if you sell the books at a profit, you're supposed to claim that on your income tax. But the tax to the country would seem to be paid when you purchase the books. If you're talking about collecting sales tax for your state . . . This is not advice, but personally if it were my book, I wouldn't worry about it. The amount will be negligible anyway, and how the hell would the IRS know? Not advice, just what I would do. Call me criminal.

A tax expert would be the one with definite answers, I'm guessing.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Once again, I agree with shelleyo.

I'll add that while we'd love to help you, you really need to ask someone suitably qualified when it's tax advice you're after, and not a bunch of random people on the internet, so I'm going to lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.