• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bova Agency

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Their website indicates that they are still taking clients, with Ben Bova as president, Ken Bova as managing editor, Michael Burke as the Senior Associate Agent, and Stefan Rudnicki as audio subrights division manager.

Michael came up on my Query Tracker search. I'll edit this post in a minute with a link if we have a thread for him here. ETA: Nope, no link here.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got a form rejection yesterday morning, so less than 24 hours response time. The rejection was signed on behalf of the agency, with no person identified.

ladyjerusalem

Mastering the art of telepathy.
Registered
Reaction score
I actually snorted out loud when I saw their email address for submissions. "[email protected]". Sounds promising, no? Not to mention that Yahoo is famous for their yucky spam filtering abilities. Anything and everything ends up in their spam filters.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not finding any sales on PM for Michael Burke. Anyone know of any?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
From Query Tracker, looks like Michael Burke is reading queries... at least folks are currently getting responses. Mind you, they all seem to be rejections (or no response)...

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Bova is the agency of record for some valuable properties, including most of Scott Card's work. Agents don't just find new authors and sell new books. They also perform various services on behalf of existing clients and book deals. If the agency shut down, it wouldn't be able to service those accounts and the agenting deal would lapse, meaning they'd stop getting their percentage on profits and new deals. I can't imagine them doing that when Ender's Game looks like it's finally going to become a major motion picture.

That said, the Bova Agency doesn't have a lot of incentive to take on marginal clients. My guess is that if something amazing turned up in their submissions, they might take it on, but otherwise they'll just say no.

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looking at an agent in this agency, Brandy Vallance. According to Query Tracker she's very new (at least to Query Tracker). One of the comments said that Publishers Marketplace isn't showing any sales by Barbara Bova Literary since 2009? If there's a scoop, can I have it please?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Publishers Marketplace on reports sales that agents report to them. The BB Literary don't report their sales they won't get reported.