• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ellora's Cave Publishing, Inc.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I really appreciate lawyers who write like this. It makes it easier for laypeople to follow court cases and I think that's important for our society.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I also think the authors, editors, etc. who've contributed evidence deserve thanks. Awesome.

That was the best legal document I think I've ever read. Lovely, clear language, plenty of citations and some comic moments. I'd give a good deal to be in court next week.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My only complaint with it was that I've never heard of anybody putting peas in goulash.

But yes, fully readable to the layperson.

Maryn, snickering like a 7th grader at lay-person

JulesJones

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.julesjones.com
Adding my thanks to the people who stepped forward to provide evidence. And to Mr Randazza for a filing that was lucid, informative, and thoroughly entertaining. Apart from anything else, it was an excellent short course for the layperson in US libel law.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Can I add a public 'thank you' to the editors, authors, etc. who offered testimony to support DA? We're used to operating with a certain degree of anonymity in this field, and it's scary to shed it.

Thanks for standing up, guys!
Yes, thank you very much!
:Hug2:

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Randazza deserves his reputation as a First Amendment Badass. I've read several of his filings in the past, thanks to Popehat, and they are all interesting and entertaining. Popehat has opened my eyes to fun court documents. Read some of Judge Posner's rulings some time.

I'm a fan of Samuel B. Kent's rulings, particularly Bradshw v. Unity Marine. It invokes crayons and the odor of wet dog.

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Definitely. If I were the plaintiff in a case like this, after reading that document I'd drop the suit. Especially that last section about having to provide a 150,000 dollar bond.

ETA: I really want to read all the documents mentioned in the footnotes. Does anyone know if they're available yet? Anyone have a PACER account?

I have a PACER account. I wasn't planning on hosting the documents, but I will be retrieving and commenting on them. Not a lawyer, though.

I've considered writing a blog post about my one time appearing in federal court, though. I was terrified I'd collapse in a pile of goo.

junierob

Registered
Reaction score
I have a PACER account. I wasn't planning on hosting the documents, but I will be retrieving and commenting on them. Not a lawyer, though.

I've considered writing a blog post about my one time appearing in federal court, though. I was terrified I'd collapse in a pile of goo.

Thanks, Deirdre. I'm interested in your take on them.

For everyone else, Courtney Milan posted them as pdfs on the article Bubastes linked to above.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
They're all great reading.

I had the honor of a teleconference with Mr. Randazza a couple of years ago. Incredibly sharp and driven man, a legal powerhouse. I ended up going with a very capable pro-bono lawyer referred by Popehat, but the Randazza Group gave me valuable pointers first.

I'm looking forward to seeing this case play out.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I especially enjoy these points from the counterclaim:

<a. Compensatory damages in excess of $75,000;
b. Punitive damages in excess of $225,000, or three times the amount of compensatory damages;
c. Actual damages to fully reimburse Dear Author for the attorneys’ fees and costs incurred in litigation against the causes of action in the State Court
Action;
d. Any and all attorneys’ fees and costs associated with the litigation of this countersuit; and
e. Any other relief that this Honorable Court deems necessary, just, and proper.>

That would be the sound of a torpedo making a ranging shot really close to EC's already foundering barge.

EC can still save itself. It can recover, with hard work, and return to its status as a leading publisher of romantic fiction. But not if this suit drags out to what I suspect will be its inevitable defeat, bankruptcy, and obscurity. I'm hoping the TRO hearing proves this to the judge, and the whole thing gets dismissed as a silly waste of resources.

junierob

Registered
Reaction score
I especially enjoy these points from the counterclaim:

<a. Compensatory damages in excess of $75,000;
b. Punitive damages in excess of $225,000, or three times the amount of compensatory damages;
c. Actual damages to fully reimburse Dear Author for the attorneys’ fees and costs incurred in litigation against the causes of action in the State Court
Action;
d. Any and all attorneys’ fees and costs associated with the litigation of this countersuit; and
e. Any other relief that this Honorable Court deems necessary, just, and proper.>

That would be the sound of a torpedo making a ranging shot really close to EC's already foundering barge.

EC can still save itself. It can recover, with hard work, and return to its status as a leading publisher of romantic fiction. But not if this suit drags out to what I suspect will be its inevitable defeat, bankruptcy, and obscurity. I'm hoping the TRO hearing proves this to the judge, and the whole thing gets dismissed as a silly waste of resources.

Yeah, if that doesn't give EC some cold sweats, I don't know what will.

I don't think it can be dismissed at the TRO hearing, from what I understand. The judge can deny the TRO but can only warn them that the case is likely to fail if they pursue it (which DA's TRO motion asks for).

junierob

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't sure how it plays out in Federal court. My experience was in civil court on the county level.

I have no idea how accurate that is--it's just my understanding based on other people's analysis. :)

Deirdre

Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Yeah, if that doesn't give EC some cold sweats, I don't know what will.

I don't think it can be dismissed at the TRO hearing, from what I understand. The judge can deny the TRO but can only warn them that the case is likely to fail if they pursue it (which DA's TRO motion asks for).

The case as a whole can't be dismissed, I don't think. There appear to be triable matters of fact.

What I'm waiting to see is if the case will be dismissed against DA (but not Jane) at the TRO hearing. It could be.

As I say in my post....

"The exciting invocation of the Communications Decency Act in a lawsuit about an erotica/erotic romance publisher—but not in the way you’d expect."

http://deirdre.net/elloras-cave-dear-authors-answer-and-counterclaim/

The bill was originally about Internet decency, but one of its other things is exempting internet computer services from liability for defamatory content.

And, if DA's no longer a plaintiff, is the TRO moot?

junierob

Registered
Reaction score
They've done a few nonfiction books, but they were the real-life accounts from the male cover model/strippers, things like that. This new book seems like a strange fit for the company.

EvolvingK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccacroteau.com
They've done a few nonfiction books, but they were the real-life accounts from the male cover model/strippers, things like that. This new book seems like a strange fit for the company.

And the description lists it as nonfiction, but the "book length" lists it as "short novel." weiiiiiiiiiird.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
And the description lists it as nonfiction, but the "book length" lists it as "short novel." weiiiiiiiiiird.

That's a just default in their system. Instead of making sure they have their systems structured to fit products, they're shoehorning products that don't fit their brand into the existing structure. Sign of lazy/poor business practice, IMO.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
JB mentioned on her FB page that she organized over 3000 pieces of evidence for her lawyer. Huh.

Last edited: