The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy everyone.

Been busy brainstorming & beta-ing. Still am not set on what I'm going to write for NaNo. Quick, someone inspire me.

Lonegungrrly & ElizaL & Heather - I added you all as writing buddies :)

JanetW

Brokeneyes
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection like everyone else

I have been rejected for the last week, so far I haven't hit the 200 # but I'm working on it. It hasn't gotten to me yet, don't know why. Heard finding an agent is harder then a publisher. What I don't get is that in some rejections I think they don't read the query or the sample pages. Why reject me on something they didn't read, offer suggestion on something I didn't write and tell me I need an endorsement? In my simple brain I will one day get published and when I do, I will send everyone who rejected me a copy of my published book, well maybe I will send them an address for them to purchase my book. They can't get to me if I don't let them.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Emily, Heather, and Jade, I added you guys as buddies. I'm JenzNanowrimo (which I would totally change if that were possible).

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
yey thanks for adding me guys :D I've just hammered out a 16 page hand written plan. I have wrist ache, but I'm looking forward to getting started.
Still crickets in my inbox. I'd take anything at this point/

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
JanetW, I don't get what you mean about telling you that you need endorsements. Are you talking about writing credits?

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
yey thanks for adding me guys :D I've just hammered out a 16 page hand written plan. I have wrist ache, but I'm looking forward to getting started.
Still crickets in my inbox. I'd take anything at this point/

Crickets here, too, Lonegungrrly. Have you given that agency a deadline for the exclusive now? Has Cheeky Guy been back in contact? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
If any of you folks despairing of crickets want it, I will be glad to send the R I received today so I can pretend it never happened.

Another top prospect begged off on a query with a form. :(

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Crickets here, too, Lonegungrrly. Have you given that agency a deadline for the exclusive now? Has Cheeky Guy been back in contact? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

It's 6 weeks on Friday that they've had my ms exclusively, so I'm going to poke once more and if I don't get a swift reply, tell them I'm pulling the exclusive on Monday (maybe Wednesday. I'm a chicken) and I hope they'll still consider the manuscript.

Mr Cheeky has indeed poked me once more with more wild guesses as to who has my MS and assuring me once more he is a model, discrete agent. He's so cute! He seems genuinely nice

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Classic short story and classic Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6dXsjKcA9I

Don't forget The Simpsons, where the title changed from How to Cook, to How to Cook Humans, to How to Cook for Humans, to How to Cook Forty Humans, to How to Cook for Forty Humans as dust was slowly removed revealing each new plot twist.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
No NaNo for me this year. My goal is to finish editing MS5, ain't got time to be writing 50k! Plus I have never done well at NaNo--I've done it 3 times I think and averaged about 12k words. The most I have ever written in a month was something like 23k and that was a couple months ago when I was unemployed and working on MS5.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
It's from the movie Brazil, by Terry Gilliam. Funny, I just saw a reference to this today in a post about world-building—they used Gilliam as an example of worlds that are so elaborate they get in the way of the story. And much as I like Brazil, I have to agree.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It's from the movie Brazil, by Terry Gilliam. Funny, I just saw a reference to this today in a post about world-building—they used Gilliam as an example of worlds that are so elaborate they get in the way of the story. And much as I like Brazil, I have to agree.

I think you can get away with it better in a movie than you can on paper though. We have to pause every few lines of action to illustrate this broad new vista our hero happens upon, whereas Gilliam keeps the action flowing and the vista's just there.

gckatz

Chimaera
Registered
Reaction score
Surely Gilliam gets a free pass on doing whatever the hell he wants, stylistically.

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of Nano, on the forum over there there's a whole bunch of people aiming to get 25k done in THE FIRST DAY. I can't decide if they're all noobs or if they don't actually care if what they write is utter dog poop so long as they hit the word count :/

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
It's 6 weeks on Friday that they've had my ms exclusively, so I'm going to poke once more and if I don't get a swift reply, tell them I'm pulling the exclusive on Monday (maybe Wednesday. I'm a chicken) and I hope they'll still consider the manuscript.

Mr Cheeky has indeed poked me once more with more wild guesses as to who has my MS and assuring me once more he is a model, discrete agent. He's so cute! He seems genuinely nice

When you're poking, tell them then that you'll be submitting your full to other agents on Monday (it'll be one less email for you to send that way, and it gives the control back to you). It's not as if you're telling them you've withdrawn the ms from them altogether, so I'm sure they'll still consider it (they'll just have other agents to compete with because they didn't get back to you in a timely manner - they had an exclusive and, IMO, should've prioritised it as such in the six weeks they've had it). Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now, lol.

Mr Cheeky makes me laugh. :D

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
When you're poking, tell them then that you'll be submitting your full to other agents on Monday (it'll be one less email for you to send that way, and it gives the control back to you). It's not as if you're telling them you've withdrawn the ms from them altogether, so I'm sure they'll still consider it (they'll just have other agents to compete with because they didn't get back to you in a timely manner - they had an exclusive and, IMO, should've prioritised it as such in the six weeks they've had it). Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now, lol.

Mr Cheeky makes me laugh. :D

Yeah I think you're right. Concise and easy to follow: you've had six weeks, and presumably squandered it (haha) so I'm opening up the playing field again on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.