Status
Not open for further replies.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, two out of three have pneumonia. yay :(

:Hug2: *sends Get Well vibes*

(I haven't seen snow since April 2003. I miss it just a little sometimes...)

Me too, sometimes...

I have never seen snow.

I cannot even fathom this. :)

That awkward moment when someone casually mentions they got rufied on their birthday last week like it's no biggie...

Well that's terrifying.

So... it's probably not a good sign when you call the parcel delivery service with a question and once the lady looks up your order, you hear- "Huh. Never saw it do THAT before."

I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

*backs away slowly*

I would like to lodge a formal complaint. The last two books I've read this weekend both had an egregious number of editing errors in them. Things like leaving word out of a sentence, or failing to police an editing site, so that it has that it has the sort of error I just demonstrated.

These aren't self-pubbed; these went through a publisher, and presumably an editor. But I know what's happening. They're letting Spell Check do their jobs for them. And we all (should) know that Spell Check is great for the first editing pass, but should not be relied on exclusively.

Lazy, sloppy editing. I want my money back.

That's unfortunate, but the more traditionally published books I read that were published in the last 25 years, the more errors I find. The classics have had generations to weed out every last typo.

While some people may be cutting corners, I think it has a little to due with the demand put on editors and authors - more frequent releases to maintain any kind of audience (and therefore make a living) and more jobs for editors to make anything even close to a living wage. With the exception of established hardcover adult bestsellers, where it feels like the decision has been made to cut corners since, I guess, the money's guaranteed?

I asked my niece what books she wanted for her birthday....and she asked for some Bronte sisters.... I was so moved. And she was born on Halloween so she's almost the perfect child.

I think she might be my spirit animal.

Last edited:

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Lazy, sloppy editing. I want my money back.
I'd ask for my money back. Or at the very least, contact the publishers with a polite but strongly worded letter. That's not acceptable.

Barring some sort of catastrophe (like failing) I have just finished my last day ever of university. *dances*
Wooo! *Sets out a plate of Ghirardelli chocolates*

Today was supposed to be happy. New computer allegedly arrives. But with the passing of Ben Bradlee, it's hard to be excited. :(

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
You know what you must do.

I'd ask for my money back. Or at the very least, contact the publishers with a polite but strongly worded letter. That's not acceptable.

You're right asnys, I do know what to do.

*puts on bandolier*
*picks up grenade launcher*

I'm off to lodge a protest.

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
uhm...are you sure the mathematicians aren't going to hunt you down and shove you in a locker for saying that????

what do I know... I watch the Marvel movies and think wow... I love science...

I am a mathematician. :cool:

Barring some sort of catastrophe (like failing) I have just finished my last day ever of university. *dances*

Huzzah!

*puts on bandolier*

I'll arrange an alibi. Have fun!

Morning, Cantina. What's going on?

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com

*puts on bandolier*

Hehe! Oh dear, I'm getting way too much enjoyment out of your post.

In non rampage news, I'm reorganizing my YA blog a bit. It's giving me a headache, since trying to have as few visible catergories to search as possible means lots of nesting. The nesting means I have to be organized as heck from now own when posting things, a PITA for me, but also a boon for my readers. Next up after this is tags, because they're all willy nilly as well and it's driving me bannanas. Wish me luck!

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
I have seen snow twice in my life. It's a cheeky sunhiney 65 degrees or so where I am. In October. Yes, late autumn. If I was not at work I could wear shorts. Good ole Flahrda.

Afternoon Cantina.

(I must be an adult now, because nowadays every afternoon I wish I could take a nap instead of cheating on my childhood by committing adultery with real life.)

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
HA! Dang, that is why I hate typing anything on my phone.

Which would make sunshine...an electromagnetic fart?

Overthinking metaphors again.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Whoever designed the story management system for Fanfiction.net needs to be stabbed! It's convoluted, annoying, and makes me want to kick someone. *is happy she primarily uses AO3 for her fanfics instead of FF.net*

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening Cantina!

Work was a bit frustrating today. The backroom I was working in was so cluttered with stuff I could barely move around in it so i barely accomplished anything. What sucks is that it's only going to get worse during the holidays.

:hooray:

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*self pity beginning*

My writing sucks. I know I'm still a beginner and I've never written anything outside of academia before and I'm still on the first draft of my one and only WIP, but my writing still sucks. I write at a snail's pace and the things that come out on the page never look like what's in my head. I know what good writing looks like, but it's like I totally forget it when I put pen to paper.

Why can't I stop being a perfectionist and just get the stinking draft written? Why do I have to over-think every sentence only still not be able to say what I really want to say? Why do I then have to beat myself up over every bit of it? Why can't I be more patient? Why am I asking all these questions? AAAARRRGGGG!!!!:cry:

*self pity finished*

:gone:

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
*self pity beginning*

My writing sucks. I know I'm still a beginner and I've never written anything outside of academia before and I'm still on the first draft of my one and only WIP, but my writing still sucks. I write at a snail's pace and the things that come out on the page never look like what's in my head. I know what good writing looks like, but it's like I totally forget it when I put pen to paper.

Why can't I stop being a perfectionist and just get the stinking draft written? Why do I have to over-think every sentence only still not be able to say what I really want to say? Why do I then have to beat myself up over every bit of it? Why can't I be more patient? Why am I asking all these questions? AAAARRRGGGG!!!!:cry:

*self pity finished*

:Hug2:

I know how you feel. I'm a really slow writer too. When I hear people say they can write 1000+ words in an hour I'm like :Jaw:. And also I struggle to get what's in my head on paper. The scenes flash through my head like a movie and I have a hard time capturing exactly what it is I see. And I've given up on pretty prose. Anytime I attempt it, it comes out purpler than Barney.

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I know what you guys mean. I have never finished anything because it's all crap. I CAN actually type 2k+ words per hour, but whenever I do, it is all so much dribel I have to throw it all out. I don't understand how people can write their novels as fast as they type. If I want something that I don't hate, I have to slow wh down.

Aaaaargh, why can't I turn my brain off so I son't overthink things and thus set myself up for failure?

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
i have been wallowing for like a year. I can write a book but I can't edit it because even after I do.... it is never good enough.
Or I don't think I will ever get it good enough and it bums me out.

I am excited for tomorrow - I am buying my niece her birthday gifts. :)

I am also buying myself a bunch of books I"m not going to read for months and months and months and I'm reading sequels to books I haven't even read yet.

I am about 12 years old and should not have a checking account.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
*self pity beginning*

*self pity finished*

Nothing wrong with being a beginner. Nothing wrong with sucking at first drafts. Nothing wrong with being a slow writer.

If you want to experiment a bit, you can try other things and see if they help.

For me, in the beginning of me trying to learn how to write faster, I tried eyeshades. I touch type, so I put my sleep eyeshades on (or use a scarf or whatever) so I couldn't see what I wrote, so I wouldn't be tempted to edit or review what I'd just written and just get going with the writing already. I did that a bunch and it really broke me of the habit of going back to fix things. Nothing wrong with spelling mistakes, typos, grammatically horrid sentences in a first draft.

And later, I also tried using a timer. Set it to 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, and so on up to half an hour, then wrote like mad, then evaluated. I found that my sweet spot for efficiency, ie the most words per minute, was 15-20 minutes. Writing without a timer was the *least* productive way for me to write ever. I did this with a writing group and a fair number of us tracked our progress. We had results all over the place. So, experiment and see if you can find your sweet spot.

What I found for me is that writing fast does NOT result in stuff that's worse than when I wrote slow. Subjectively, of course. Some things actually flowed better, were less stilted.

So, why not experiment? See if there's another way that might work out better for you?

(Not that I'm an expert. I'm just willing to try seemingly stupid things.)

Also, I come bearing Nanaimo bars. The husband and inlaws love them, so I made a batch yesterday. It'll be gone in another couple of days. If you've never heard of them or had them, you really owe it to yourself to check it out. :D *cackles*

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Work was a bit frustrating today. The backroom I was working in was so cluttered with stuff I could barely move around in it so i barely accomplished anything. What sucks is that it's only going to get worse during the holidays.
How I hear you. I am forever, it seems, trying to declutter the back and storage rooms of the shop. But when the head company thinks that 'just-in-time' deliveries actually means 'deliver so much stock so that 50% doesn't even fit in the shop floor at any moment' it's an neverending battle to even have room to walk. And the holidays deliveries still have to arrive and I don't know where to put those when they do. :scared:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
*self pity beginning*

My writing sucks.

I know how you feel.

I know what you guys mean.
You did finish something! I have read it. Yes it needs a few tweaks but I really did think it was great! :D

i have been wallowing for like a year. I can write a book but I can't edit it because even after I do.... it is never good enough.
Or I don't think I will ever get it good enough and it bums me out.

Hugs to everyone in a writing slump. I know how you feel. However, I'd like to keep encouraging you to keep at it. It's the only way things will improve.

Nothing wrong with being a beginner. Nothing wrong with sucking at first drafts. Nothing wrong with being a slow writer.

I completely agree! Experiment to see what works for you!

J. A. Rama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
@Shadowflame

Haha, thanks. Yeah, somehow I managed to finish one thing. Next step is for me to finish a novel. XD

Seconding that tip about the eyeshades! I write at night. I turn off the lights, turn on the music, and it's just myself and the words. Sometimes I find it helps me to open a Word doc, flip the page landscape, set it to two columns so it looks like a book, and then have fun formatting it into chapter headings, quotes, and parts, etc. as I write.

I forgot about timing myself. I need to do that for November.

@E.F.B.

It's a long, slow process, and change is so slow you feel like you're standing still. The only thing to do is just keep writing. Don't worry if it's good. Just aim for finishing a draft. Also when rereading, don't think about EVERYTHING that's wrong. It's a first draft. A lot WILL be wrong, because all first drafts are terrible. That's expected and normal. Instead of worrying about what you don't like, instead look for what I call "writer candy," which is things that you DO like. Also, look for the things that do sort of go where you wanted to go, but which might need rewriting or reworking. That's NOT failing. That's a source of inspiration for your second draft.

Also, while writing, do not think about editing your story. Well, you can think ABOUT editing your story, but not about EDITING your story. As Stephen King said, write the first draft with the door closed. Write the second with the door open. When you're first writing, suspend ALL judgement. When you've just written, it's still so fresh that your mind is just TOO biased to be able to look at it clearly. After some weeks (or months) of letting it rest, you'll be able to come back with a clearer mind to see the big picture. Yeah, it's hard to resist criticizing and editing. The thing there is, don't tell your inner editor you WON'T edit at all. He doesn't like that. Just tell him that you're not editing NOW, but you'll let him edit LATER. After a while, it becomes a habit. That actually works surprisingly well.

One thing which helps me (which, granted, I'm not good at following up on) is going for quantity over quality, and above that, consistency over quantity. Try scheduling a set amount of time each day where you'll just turn off the wifi (if possible) and commit to writing, nothing held back.

If it helps, warm up with a free-writing exercise and then continue to the day's writing.

Also, try out different amounts of time and see how it works for you. Maybe two fifteen minute blocks with 5 minutes of distraction time in between is optimal for you rather than 20 minutes. :)

That said, self-doubt will always rear its head, because that's just how it works. I figure it's a good thing if we use it to help ourselves realize that nothing we do will ever be perfect, and to keep ourselves on our toes trying to improve always. We just can't let it harm us, throttle our inspiration, or prevent us from putting words on the page. Self-doubt is a virus. It has a funny way of preventing us from doing the things that will cure it, thus generating MORE self-doubt.

If it does that, feed it to Elizabeth. (Oh wait, you're Elizabeth too! I meant the kraken. XD)

Okay, after spouting all this "great" advice, I'm going to go take it... XD

Last edited:

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You want to know something odd? I'm apparently really big in Ukraine (relatively speaking). I get more hits from the Ukraine then anywhere else except the United States.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
^^^^^

This! Try not to worry so much about all the stuff that needs to be worked on while writing. Simply get it on the page first. Only then can you see what's going on in the story and perhaps how to fix it.

And hey I got my 36th rejection this morning. :D Going to look over it quickly then send it back out.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
Morning Cantina.

How I hate road-work season.

*self pity beginning*

*self pity finished*

:Hug2: I usually terminate projects before I even start to write them, such is the power of the dark side my internal editor.

You want to know something odd? I'm apparently really big in Ukraine (relatively speaking). I get more hits from the Ukraine then anywhere else except the United States.

Well, that's interesting. This is on a blog I assume?

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, that's interesting. This is on a blog I assume?

Yeah, my Atomic Skies blog (see sig). I guess Ukrainians like atompunk history?

Anyway, I'm not sure this will actually work in the long run, but what the heck, I'm going to share it anyway: a trick I've used to get past the "not good enough" voice. Write something that doesn't count. Like, I have a Magic: the Gathering fanfic which I will never, ever post or publish anywhere. I structure it like a game, even to the extent of having stats for the characters in D&D 3E, so it's fun to write because I'm "playing" a "game". It gives me practice writing, and because it doesn't count I just keep writing without the dark voices telling me it's bad. But it's words on paper, even if they're unpublishable words.

Status
Not open for further replies.