Grandma Susie's House of FUNNERS 'N FLOOZIES (Volume VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Oh, Susie, that's bad news. Humph. Have some (((HUGS))) and prayers and :Cake:

Here's some warm beverages for those of us who need warming up and cool beverages for those that don't. And some virtually virtuous :Cake:

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Susie: :Hug2:Sorry to hear Howie's having such a rough go. I hope that changes soon!

Survived jury duty. The judge dismissed me when I told him what I do for a living and that I'm self-employed. His court reporter practically high-fived me. (She flashed a big smile at me.) The rest of the day was spent waiting in the assembly room. I did a bit of writing and spoke to a former Marine tank guy (I forget his formal position) who'd been discharged after being shot a couple of times. Nice guy.

Came home to our as-yet unnamed doggie. She's sweet. Getting to know us, and we're getting to know her. She's recovering from her spay surgery and spent a luxurious night on Andrew's bed. (That's where she'll sleep at night.) She claimed Chance's orthopedic dog bed and has been taking all of the toys and depositing them on it. We've been spending a lot of time on her level trying to get her comfortable with us. I don't think it'll take long before she feels like she's home. :)

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, seriously, I am not a monster. I would only bite your face off if you got too close.

Also, it's totally offensive when you spell my name without a space between the words. It's like you're disrespecting hundreds of years of muppet culture and tradition.

*capers*

I thought a muppet was a monster puppet. Oh well. You can't deny being an Animal, though ;)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was on jury duty the worst thing was waiting around in the jury pool room. Being on a jury wasn't as bad as that. It was like waiting in a hospital all day.

And if I'm ever on trial for something I want the deliberations to begin on a Friday afternoon.

Last edited:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
thx much guyz about how. Yeah, it is very worrisome.

That's cool about your dismissal w. jd. Way2go, McLesh! Your doggie sounds fun 'n smart :D

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Survived jury duty. The judge dismissed me when I told him what I do for a living and that I'm self-employed. His court reporter practically high-fived me. (She flashed a big smile at me.) The rest of the day was spent waiting in the assembly room. I did a bit of writing and spoke to a former Marine tank guy (I forget his formal position) who'd been discharged after being shot a couple of times. Nice guy.

That's cool the judge dismissed you based on what you do. When my mom reported for jury duty last year the cases they wanted her on had something to do with the medical field, law enforcement, and auto-collisions, I think and because my mom cleaned for a doctor, my sister worked for a doctor, I worked for a doctor, my uncle was prison guard / detention office (can't think of title right now :p) and he had been in an auto accident years ago and his son who was two at the time got a skull fracture and he sued the other driver they booted her from that case(s). She had everything in her favor.

Came home to our as-yet unnamed doggie. She's sweet. Getting to know us, and we're getting to know her. She's recovering from her spay surgery and spent a luxurious night on Andrew's bed. (That's where she'll sleep at night.) She claimed Chance's orthopedic dog bed and has been taking all of the toys and depositing them on it. We've been spending a lot of time on her level trying to get her comfortable with us. I don't think it'll take long before she feels like she's home. :)

When we got Julia she was so well behaved. Dawson didn't stop bothering her that day, though. After a couple days Julia started following him around and he kept getting up to relocate to get away from her. Julia's a bit of wimpy city-dog and disappoints Dawson when she's doesn't want to play because she might break a nail. :)

Dawson's been seriously up our butts lately though. I don't know if he's bored or what. I try to play with him outside and he'll be happy for a little bit and then walk away and sit down. No pleasing these animals.

As far as names go are you the type that picks human names or the type that will go with fluffy or spot? We give our animals human names, except for Spock, but that's because he looks like Spock. He's got funky ears.

Angyl78

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, good afternoon everyone! I am so far behind (I forgot how quickly this thread advances when you don't check it everyday.)

:Cake::Cake::Cake::e2coffee::e2coffee:
I believe that is enough to share with everyone.

I hope you all have a wonderful wednesday! <going to check calendar again>

Much lurvs!!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Agreeing with AC about the hospital waiting room feel of jury assembly rooms.

Odd story about jury duty: I was called for duty sometime in the 1990s. One of my fellow jurors was a friend of ours who was at the time a police officer (now retired). His wife was a dental hygienist. Well. He and I were both called to this case that was about insurance fraud by a dentist. Now, given his line of work and his wife's line of work, you would expect that he would never serve on ANY jury, let alone this one. Guess what. He got impaneled and I didn't. (I had an appointment at the end of the week, and the trial was expected to run that long.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A delicious dinner of BBQ chicken strips, cole slaw, and fries.

I just need a little coffeecake now.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Youch, Susie. :( Is there nobody else who can help with the driving? It's one appointment Howie really shouldn't miss. Hope his foot eases up soon. :Hug2::Hug2:'s to you both.

Good evening, house of deliberations.

We don't have a jury system here. I'm always intrigued by how reluctant so many Americans seem to be about having to do jury duty. Why is that?

Mclesh, I wondered about your eligibility for jury duty and what they'd ask you during voir dire. <--- See? I've been researching. :D Sending happy vibes to unnamed doggie. :D

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Siri, that seems really odd! Obviously I thought your friend should be dismissed and I thought perhaps you as well since the judge might consider you to have like prejudices or something, but wow, that's kind of crazy.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It just takes a lot of time. You have to miss work, etc. Many business will pay an employee their regular salary, but some don't. If you own your own business you're out of luck. They pay a juror something like $5 a day, which might be enough to buy breakfast.

You generally don't get called for one trial, you get called for a jury pool. Someone may serve on several juries.

If it's a capital case the jury may be sequestered, which could be a problem for some people.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been on three juries. Two murders and a burglary.

I wore my "Hang 'Em High" tee shirt.*

*Not really, I would have been jailed for contempt.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
We don't have a jury system here. I'm always intrigued by how reluctant so many Americans seem to be about having to do jury duty. Why is that?

My dad says it because Americans are all criminals and we feel guilty about condemning someone for something that we've done ourselves in secret and just haven't been caught yet. :D

Inconvenience I think is the major issue. It wastes a lot of time. The laws of reimbursement are so old that by today's standards we don't get paid much. No one wants to condemn another person or listen to a horrific crime. But my employer (who's a Dr.) hates the whole judicial system here in the U.S. and says it's corrupt. She will write doctor's notes for patients to get out of jury duty without thinking twice. She did that for my dad. Eventually when I get a letter requesting me to report for jury duty I'll see about have her write me one too.

My grandfather had to be on the jury panel often because he was a farmer and therefore "had nothing else to do in the winter". He got it more often than most people. He said that the district attorney would tell him and the other jurors "you can't do this" "you can't do that", "you know this, but you can't make a judgment on that", "the evidence presented you can't take into account" and he got frustrated and wondered why the heck he was even there if there were a whole bunch of rules in place. Granted that happened probably back in the 60s-80s in WNY, perhaps it's more honest in other locations around America--or perhaps not.

Last edited:

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
'ey, all. I'd be afraid of jury duty, wouldn't want to convict someone who might've been innocent 'n vica versa. Anyone for prelicks? :)

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Susie, what with one thing and another, I couldn't drive one armed last summer then the cars decided not to play, so I went to all those doctor appts by taxi. It was nice to have someone else worry about the traffic and waaay nice to experience SUV a/c, I got the same driver all but one time so it was almost like a friend.

We will be paying off the bill for the next five months. But one trip wouldn't be bad. If you ask they help you get out of the car too. I saw the nurses bring out wheelchairs for the folks who needed them. AND the taxi stops right at the door, you don't have to walk from the far end of the parking lot.

We don't have buses or anything like them out here. I miss them.

It's just a thought, one of the many good ones I'm sending to you and Howie.

Last edited:

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
No, we don't have any here, Westie, but thx much for asking and for your post St., Gail 'n Mclesh, etc. We took a few taxi's last year 'n boy did it add up. Too expensive for us. Glad you'll be able to pay off the bill but wish you didn't have to. Hope your arm/wrist is getting way better. :Hug2:s to you all.

Last edited:

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
Susie, talk to Howie's doctor about the transportation issue. My MIL can usually depend on us, but not always. A medical transport shuttle will take Howie to his appointments, and it's vitally important that he goes. :Hug2:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I went and got grocerues yesterday, as well as grocerues for my MIL. I slept like a pile of logs, but there isn't enough coffee in the world this morning...:sleepy:

I'm excited about my grocerues tomorrow - I am yearning for grilled sandwiches... like tuna melts and chicken salad melts... it's a melt kind of thing.

yay doggie! ;)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.