Neoterism November 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
1976 on NaNo so far. Very patriotic, but not very inspired yet. I think I need to build a cage for my inner editor so it'll shut up.

Marya

In search of distractions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
africanalchemy.wordpress.com
TheIt, won't you pop my mean-eyed censor in there while you're about it?

2 210 words on Nano Day 3, looking uninspired but onward we go!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:e2cheer: Go kaitie! Glad you're here. :)

I did just under 200 yesterday on Something New. Yes, I abandoned the old WIP, at least temporarily. Anything to get a few words... And every time I sat down to write the phone rang after a few words. Every call except one was political. Is it over yet?!

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Uhm, I'm not sure I quite understand what these threads are about, and I'm not in on the NaNo thing :D But if it's ok to take part in here with just ordinary writing goals, I'd be happy to join :)

My goal for november is to start writing on this new mystery novel that I am currently outlining (will finish outlining it tonight, I think - just making the last adjustments right now). I'd like to try to finish the first chapter which I have already written, it needs some tweaking; and perhaps start the next one. I also want to read through the story I finished earlier this fall that I've been 'resting' in order to come back to it and read it over to see if it really is finished :D
I have no idea on wordcount as of yet for the new one.

Good luck, everyone! November has just started :)

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the thread, MsDashwood.:hi: And good luck with the 'goals'.

October started well for me but fizzled out near the end. November has fizzled so far, so here's hoping...:D

I'm not going to try for any particular word count, just to write something, anything, everyday.

I'm slightly disheartened because I realise this first draft is a lot rougher than I originally thought. I have to force myself not to go back and edit before I finish the darn thing.

I really could do with a kindly grandmother editor, or, failing that...:poke:

Good luck to everyone taking part in NaNo.

MsDashwood

Registered
Reaction score
Hello muse and Saoirse! :hi:

Think I've made the outline as clear and 'helpful' as I can now. Ready to start :D

just to write something, anything, everyday
Me too :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You are all AWESOME.

MsDashwood, I can't claim to understand much (about threads, or anything else!). I do know that NaNo participation is not a requirement. As far as I can tell, we're all in this together.

2125 today. Boy, is this one going to need some editing. 90% backstory, told in flashback. Blech. My inner editor is shrieking in agony. I try to remind myself that the first draft is more like telling myself what the story is going to be about than actually telling the story. Right now I'm just scrambling to get all the bits on paper in some vaguely coherent fashion. And I think I'm failing at the coherent bit.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Uhm, I'm not sure I quite understand what these threads are about, and I'm not in on the NaNo thing :D But if it's ok to take part in here with just ordinary writing goals, I'd be happy to join :)

This thread has nothing to do with NaNo, except that several of us are doing it :)eek: But not me!). It's all about setting a daily goal for yourself, whether it's 500 words a day, or editing for a certain number of pages or set time, etc. Set your goal and report in every day, whether you've done well or not. We're here to help :poke: and :whip:. :)

I'm slightly disheartened because I realise this first draft is a lot rougher than I originally thought. I have to force myself not to go back and edit before I finish the darn thing.

I really could do with a kindly grandmother editor, or, failing that...:poke:

Good luck to everyone taking part in NaNo.

:granny: Be good to you. You deserve it. And good for you for seeing your WIP, warts and all, and driving forward. :Hug2: and :poke:

For me, I didn't do any writing yesterday. I've realized there's something critical missing and I need to chew it through before any more words get put down. Today is my big day of the week, so it probably won't get resolved today, though.

Keep going, everyone! :Sun:

Daddyo

been around a while
Registered
Reaction score
Not gonna go into all the stumbling hurdles that have jumped in front of my goals the past couple of weeks. Just gonna try to right the writing ship this month. Kudos to those that are making progress, and you've got my company if you haven't.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
At about 4200 on the NaNo Thing and still trying to build up momentum for the story. Marya, there's plenty of room in the internal editor cage for yours, too. I'm thinking of going to one of the local NaNo write-in's today for a change of pace.

knightrunnermat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horseracinghottie.com
I got a ton of writing done in the middle of the night last night. I woke up and had a million ideas (well, not really a million, but it was a lot of inspired thoughts), and I just had to get them down on the page. I had 10,000 words at the start of November and I am currently at just under 21,000.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Welcome Ms Dashwood! :hi: Great counts, y'all. You put me to shame.

I have no words at all this weekend--and I'm Nano-ing--but I can report that my first-ever real signing went truly awesome and a local magazine showed up to take photos, plus I was invited to speak to an English class. Um ... the teacher even LIKES semicolons (like me) and LIKES the Oxford comma too. :heart:

Tonight I explained to some young people at my night job that if you start hearing voices, people will think you're crazy; but if you write down what those voices say, you'll be called a brilliant novelist.
:thankyou:

So write, dammit.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Great words, everyone! Mat, you are my hero. :D

I have no words at all this weekend--and I'm Nano-ing--but I can report that my first-ever real signing went truly awesome and a local magazine showed up to take photos, plus I was invited to speak to an English class. Um ... the teacher even LIKES semicolons (like me) and LIKES the Oxford comma too. :heart:

This is fantastic! :partyguy: I'm so glad it went so well - that must have been awfully exciting.

2231 tonight. Almost (ALMOST) to the end of the sprawling everything-about-everything chapter. The next chapter is much more clear in my head, so I'm looking forward to some coherence, hopefully tomorrow.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Yay for everyone writing! And congratulations wonderactivist for writing your name (over and over again)! :D

The NaNo Thing is about 5400 words. The rest of tonight is going to be devoted to brainstorming rather than upping the word count. I need to figure out where the story is going next. One of my characters raised his hand asking to be POV character for a while, and I think that might help me get some momentum going on the story.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I did terribly in October, too much going on. I'm intending to make up for it this month. I'll be starting NaNo a bit late but using that to do my new draft. At least that's the plan...

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Congrats to all who got words or did edits this weekend. Alas I got a big fat goose egg this weekend. Had to move and by the time it was over and done, I was too wiped out to even think about writing. (Well, actually I did think about it, I just didn't have the energy.) But it's a new week and the moving is done, so back to the NaNo WIP. :D

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I hope you're okay, Ken. Have you been checked for a concussion?

Yay, I got 800 words so far today. My goal is 2000 a day all this week. I'll be traveling to Texas this weekend for book events so writing time will be harder to come by.

Cross fingers, I have a bout a 1 in 6 chance of winning an iPad at work. Should find out today.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Hugs* muse.

:granny: Be good to you. You deserve it. And good for you for seeing your WIP, warts and all, and driving forward. :Hug2: and :poke:

Thanks for the hugs and kindly grandmother editor. They were both definitely needed.:Hug2: And they seemed to have worked: 1,379 words over the weekend.:hooray:

For me, I didn't do any writing yesterday. I've realized there's something critical missing and I need to chew it through before any more words get put down. Today is my big day of the week, so it probably won't get resolved today, though.

HJ, did you find out what was missing from you WIP?

Congrats to all who got words or did edits this weekend. Alas I got a big fat goose egg this weekend. Had to move and by the time it was over and done, I was too wiped out to even think about writing. (Well, actually I did think about it, I just didn't have the energy.) But it's a new week and the moving is done, so back to the NaNo WIP. :D

That's the attitude, Ken. A new week means new words.;)

knightrunnermat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.horseracinghottie.com
Wrote a bit over 1k words so far today. I am cycling between working and writing, writing and working all day, so I have gotten a huge amount of either done, but it's consistent forward progress. I would really like to be past the halfway point by Sunday.

MsDashwood

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes [sub]and reassurances[/sub] guys :D

I did finish the outline of the new story and made chapter divisions too (if they'll stick I don't know), and then yesterday got to start reading through the old story. Changed some words and fixed some sentences. Still have a lot of it to read. I am doing an online class for work as well at the moment so I was going to spend time on that tonight. But I had too long a nap after work :tongue Not much time left of this evening so I'll keep reading the old story instead.
-Itching to start the new one!

Great work, everyone! Looks like a lot of typing going on!
And congrats on the signing, Wonderactivist! Good luck, Zelenka! Let the words flow :D
And Ken, my sympathies! Moving is such a hassle :mad:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:Clap: Everyone's going great gangbusters!

HJ, did you find out what was missing from you WIP?

Pretty sure it was me. :rolleyes: Once I found me again, I got another few hundred words before I had to leave for the day. Seriously, I think I've been squelching my voice to make it more marketable, and it's miserable. I need to remember to write for me first.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Barely managed 200 words and they're terrible. We had a huge training exercise over the weekend where I got a lot of inspiration and valuable pointers for my NaNo story, but when I tried to write it all down it was like pulling teeth.

Maybe I need a vacation, or more sleep, but I hope this goes away soon. Bah.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
2329 today. An unstructured mess; it's killing me not going back and editing!

I don't remember it being this hard last year. But earlier tonight, when I was moaning to my husband about all the troubles I was having, he said "Sounds like it's going better than the last one." Hm...

I'm getting the ideas down, so I guess I'll worry about structure later. :D

asroc, I think the terrible words are necessary sometimes. You need to get them out of the way so the good words will have room.

Yay, everyone! Keep writing! :e2cheer: