Kick me

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
It has been years since I've queried anything. My past experience in freelancing was inhibited by my having to go get a real job. Now I'm trying again, and I have what I think will be a well of story ideas all on the same theme. And -- I'm scared! I have some big and small markets in mind, and will start crafting queries for two or three of the stories I have in mind, well, as soon as I get up the guts. Please, somebody, kick me. There's no reason to procrastinate, right? Even if they ALL say no, I rework my ideas and go back... right?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
It has been years since I've queried anything. My past experience in freelancing was inhibited by my having to go get a real job. Now I'm trying again, and I have what I think will be a well of story ideas all on the same theme. And -- I'm scared! I have some big and small markets in mind, and will start crafting queries for two or three of the stories I have in mind, well, as soon as I get up the guts. Please, somebody, kick me. There's no reason to procrastinate, right? Even if they ALL say no, I rework my ideas and go back... right?

I think one of your problems is that you don't see freelancing as a "real job." I assure you it is. It was my only job for many years. I know you probably didn't mean anything by it, but it is a little insulting to people who have worked very hard and made a career out of it.

I'm not sure if you are scared of rejection or doing the work. Either way, there really isn't anything to be scared of. Editors want writers with good ideas. They want to get pitch letters that are so good that they can't wait to see the actual story. It does seem like your nerves may be causing some procrastination. Try not to overthink it. And a pitch letter is something you should be able to write pretty quickly. Don't try to cram too much into it. All you are doing is trying to get an editor interested. It really shouldn't be more than half a page, a few paragraphs at most.

One thing that does help is to name specific sources you plan to use in the story. I used to do mini interviews with potential sources to make sure my ideas would have a strong focus. And it doesn't hurt to include a quote from an expert on whatever you plan to write about in your pitch letter.

Another thing is to offer to write the story on spec. This means that the editor can still reject the story after you've handed it in, but it also allows for the editor to consider your work without any risk. If you are not writing on spec, the publication could still turn down a story after you hand it in, but you would get paid a small percentage of what they would have paid you to run the story. Offering to write on spec is great for writers trying to break in to bigger markets.

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
You're right, I meant no disrespect with the "real job" comment. In my case, real job meant steady work, steady paycheck, insurance, stability enough to keep my household afloat by myself. That's it. Thank you for the advice.