Writing samples!

Oasiskid

Registered
Reaction score
A newspaper I contacted asked me for samples of my writing. I told them I'd get some ASAP. I'm not sure what I have to offer is what they're looking for or even that good. But it's the best opportunity I've had in years.

filwi

Registered
Reaction score
Big congrats!

As for samples, have you got anything that's similar in tone to what they publish? The contents are secondary - if you can nail the tone they'll know that you can write to their style.

Good luck!

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score
Send your strongest writing. It doesn't matter if it's not the same type of stuff that they would be contracting you for (though you'd likely want to stay in the same genre--e.g. not send fiction). Strong pieces that show that you can pull a reader into a piece are what they're likely looking for.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
You can ask the newspaper's editor to send you out on a tryout story. This is what I did to get my newspaper job. I had some clips from the school newspaper, but I was applying for a job where my competition had better clips that did not come from a school publication.

Doing a story trial basis, the editor will give you a pretty easy story that he would want in the paper. He'll give you a word count and a deadline. This will also show him what it will be like to work with you. When I did this, the story ran in the paper and they did pay me for it before I was even offered the job. But I know not all newspapers will pay for a tryout piece. I have a friend who was on tryout for a week at a really good newspaper. She already had great clips, but they wanted to see her work in the office and on deadline. She was not paid for that week, but she did get the job.

Anyway, giving applicants a tryout is nothing new in the newspaper world. Even if you hand in some other writing sample, I would suggest asking for a tryout. It is a real chance to prove yourself, and then you and the editor will both know if you are right for this. Good luck.

Oasiskid

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. I found a paper I wrote in August that I think is among my best. Whether it's their style or not, I guess I'll find out. It's a very small operation. Each time I've visited there weren't more than 2 or 3 people in the office.