The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my, the pork chops are flying way too early in the morning.

(((Dys))) Give yourself time to recover.

(((RAB))) Seriously? I hope you returned the "compliment" in kind. Grr.

Caleb, have you figured out the secret to making elderberry anything taste good? We've made elderberry wine, but I think it's nasty and medicinal. Am trying to figure out if it's because we didn't remove the seeds before brewing, or if we just don't like the taste and should replace our tree with something else. (I don't like elderberry jam either.)

JBuck

Registered
Reaction score
lwalker, when my husband and I moved into our first home, we were driving the ute loaded up with the small amount of furniture we owned at the time. Well, when we drove over some railroad tracks, the dressing table overturned and the mirror slid out and smashed to pieces all over the road. I immediately thought, 'Argh! Seven years bad luck!'
Well, let me tell you, the seven years that followed were amazing in all areas of my life. Weirdly enough, I even became lucky - not long after the mirror breaking I received a call from a magazine about a prize I'd won (I vaguely remember writing some silly ditty using the sponser's business names). It was a 20k all expenses paid holiday and the first of many lucky occurrences.
So, expect awesome happenings!!!:)

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caleb, have you figured out the secret to making elderberry anything taste good? We've made elderberry wine, but I think it's nasty and medicinal. Am trying to figure out if it's because we didn't remove the seeds before brewing, or if we just don't like the taste and should replace our tree with something else. (I don't like elderberry jam either.)

I like the taste of elderberry and drink it as a tea often enough. I also stop by a local winery and buy their elderberry wine from time to time. I have a small elderberry thicket going and it grows wild all over KC so I wandered around last year harvesting berries and froze them. Then boiled water made a super strong tea before starting the fermentation process.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Morning, purgs. Dragging this morning, in spite of 3 cups of coffee: got no sleep last night. I :heart: my memory foam mattress like woah and all, but when I'm even a little feverish it's kind of like sleeping on a giant, squishy heater.

Ah well. First world problems, I know. :rolleyes:

Lily, congrats on finishing!

Thalia, that's very cool!

{{KT}}

{{{Para}}} I have so been there. It sucks.

Cold and wet here. Where's my spring?

Same here. We're getting rain for the rest of the week. Again. And the river near my house is getting ready to flood again.

There'd better be a gorgeous summer waiting for me after all this.

I'm making poor Dys feel worse by writing page after page of my act three climax right next to her. :tongue

Para is totally ignoring me for the sake of her awesome climax. :tongue

*coughwheezecoughchokecough*

'Scuse me. Whoo. Got something caught in my throat there.

Yeah, I'm totally under-performing here. :tongue

Hey now: writing climaxes simultaneously takes lots of practice. They always make it look easy in those writing guides, but nobody I know has ever managed it in the first few attempts.

:D

Becky, good gods, did he hit his head really hard recently?

Surely you get the occasional schlong-embiginner spam? Maybe you can just forward all of that to him for a little while. Or better yet, sign him up for one of them.

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
I like the taste of elderberry and drink it as a tea often enough. I also stop by a local winery and buy their elderberry wine from time to time. I have a small elderberry thicket going and it grows wild all over KC so I wandered around last year harvesting berries and froze them. Then boiled water made a super strong tea before starting the fermentation process.
So you boiled the water with the berries in it. Ah... interesting. Mr. Wench likes elderberry jam, which is why we planted our bush, but we haven't managed tasty wine yet. And we don't eat enough jam to justify the work of making it when we have so many other fruits growing that our easier to work with.

ETA: FFS, you would not believe the email I just got from a co-irker. Thank gods I have people here that I can laugh about this with. Otherwise my head might explode.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So you boiled the water with the berries in it. Ah... interesting. Mr. Wench likes elderberry jam, which is why we planted our bush, but we haven't managed tasty wine yet. And we don't eat enough jam to justify the work of making it when we have so many other fruits growing that our easier to work with.

Oh yeah I boiled the water, steeped the berries for a good hour in the covered pot, pressed as much juice from the berries as possible and then discarded them in the compost.

ETA: the little yeasty beasties have a tendency to break down unpleasant chemicals in seeds so most people recommend either straining seeds from fruit or doing the tea method before attempting wine/mead/beers

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Becky, good gods, did he hit his head really hard recently?

Before or after those comments :tongue

Thanks guys - I'm not really upset. Found it more amusing than anything. He's clueless under the best of circumstances ;)

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, elderberry... When I lived in Sweden, they had elderberry hard cider, and it was to freakin' DIE for. Wish I could get it here. (Trivia: In Swedish, elderberry is fläder)

ink wench

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah I boiled the water, steeped the berries for a good hour in the covered pot, pressed as much juice from the berries as possible and then discarded them in the compost.

ETA: the little yeasty beasties have a tendency to break down unpleasant chemicals in seeds so most people recommend either straining seeds from fruit or doing the tea method before attempting wine/mead/beers
Cool. Thanks. I think our laziness bit us in the ass. We crushed the berries but didn't strain out the seeds. Perhaps the bush has earned a reprieve and one more try....

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ink all else fails it attracts bees and other pollinators to the yard which will aid in pollinating anything else you have.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
(((KT)))) I'm sorry. I know this time of year is a particularly hard one for you. If I lived nearby, I'd swoop you up and take you to a waterpark for a day of splashing and utter silliness. Can you do something frivolous and small?. This will sound ridonkulous, but aside from blasting music with a driving base, when I'm in a serious funk, I dip into a supply of kid-goodies that my children have long outgrown. I blow bubbles. Often in the house.

Yes, we're really that wild in Alberta. ;)

You're adorable. :)

And yikes, I do repeat myself...know I've complained about the same shit multiple times, which I hate. (Not to say you're complaining. Just reminded me.)

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i love elderflower seltzer!
it's what i drink at christmas dinner
in england instead of wine. they finally
got used to the fact that i don't drink
about 5 years in. =D

tas, they sell the elderflower syrup at
ikea. or they used to. you just add it
to plain fizzy water and it is delicious!
not sure if you can add it to plain beer? ha!

rab, *facepalm* you look gorgeous darlin'!
/bootay shake!!!!

volunteering for bubs' big art show
which is next week. prepping this week.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
whoops you said elderberry!
but i think it's similar?

cindy, still not awake but
must pretend to be

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Jaysus you guys. The guy I threw the party for? I've had to block him on FB because he won't stop harassing me about bringing up his "women enjoy rape" theory 20 years after the fact. He started sending me these messages like "Why did you use social power to try to hurt me? Why did you attack me? WHy didn't you bring up your issue in private, instead of in such a hurtful public manner?"

I've sent a message to a few of my friends letting them know he's harassing me. Beyond that, I'm not sure what to do or how far I should go. I wonder if I should report him to FB. The bizarre thing is that in the messages, he makes it sound so much as though I did something terrible to HIM.

I almost worry that that is a tactic though, to make sure I DON"T report it. Really ugh.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{Kris}}}

I'd report it, telling FB what you told us, including his RL history of manipulation and spewing vile stuff and making sure it always looks like the victim's at fault.

Bastid.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever written anything and then gone back later with ... different colored glasses, for lack of better words, and seen it in a completely different way? Did you know why you did it the other way in the first place?

Yup. All the time. I am the queen of perpetual revising!

I don't know if anyone has been keeping up with The Writers Voice but I got chosen for a team!

I've been following some of it. Looks like a fun contest. Congrats on getting picked!

Hugs to all those who are aching, tired, sick, or gloomy.

+1 :e2grouphu

Rab, give us his address. It will not go well for him.

+1 :sword

Kris, please report the d-bag. I'm still fuming about your story with this idiot. :mad:

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Mornin', Purgies!!!

{{{Dys}}}

{{{RAB}}}

{{{KT}}}

{{{Kris}}}

Nice new avy, X-Cin

Haupe

Mad Thread Killa
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janohara.net
RAB, I want to see pictures of your svelt self.

KT, I'm a pattern-noticer, that's all. :)

Kris, you have a picture on FB! Good move.

Personally, I'd ignore the asshat and see what happens. Let him hang the crazy flag for a while. A unilateral taunt-and-bait will make it easier to engage FB on your side, if it comes to that.

Okay. Have to get offline and work, peoples. Have a good day.

Kris

VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm.. it seems like either he's suspended his FB account, or I should have reported him BEFORE I blocked him.

I've sent a brief summary to a few friends, and CM has been a witness to almost all of it, so that's good.

Sheesh.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I almost worry that that is a tactic though, to make sure I DON"T report it. Really ugh.

It very much is. Guys like this know most people, being decent and empathetic sorts, will hesitate when hit with the sympathy card.

He is harassing you, and he deserves to be kicked in the nards by a panicking Clydesdale. He certainly doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

:Hug2:

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I have written out my MAAH chapter outline from Emil's POV. Now I really hope we're taking notes on the computer in Chemistry so I can write. Or I finish my English test early.

...yeah, not the most dedicated student. But I'm doing well!

Kris

VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Kris, you have a picture on FB! Good move.

Personally, I'd ignore the asshat and see what happens. Let him hang the crazy flag for a while. A unilateral taunt-and-bait will make it easier to engage FB on your side, if it comes to that.

I've let his last three messages go un-answered.

When the third message came, I decided to go ahead and block him.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
caleb got it!
i love elderflower!
never tried berry.

kris what a facker. im sorry. hugs!
he should know better but alas, we
know that isn't how world works. more