Coolest crochet project ever

Fictional Cowboy

Life is short. Live with purpose.
Registered
Reaction score
I would seriously learn to crochet just to learn how to make these.

knitting_zpsea30478e.jpg

I'm not a vain person by ANY stretch of the imagination but I'd love to have one of me just to see what it would look like! Then I saw the price... ouch.

Edited To Add: I'm seriously considering learning how to do this. It's called Amigurumi. Where I live, these would sell like hotcakes and I need another way to bring in some income.

517dBLe6ogL.jpg

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I would seriously learn to crochet just to learn how to make these.

http://s880.photobucket.com/user/themomentarylife/media/knitting_zps2c84cc68.jpg.html
I'm not a vain person by ANY stretch of the imagination but I'd love to have one of me just to see what it would look like! Then I saw the price... ouch.

Edited To Add: I'm seriously considering learning how to do this. It's called Amigurumi. Where I live, these would sell like hotcakes and I need another way to bring in some income.
So, learn! Crochet is simple, only one hook and a couple of stitches. If you want to see if you'd like it, check out your local library: most crochet books have the basic stitch instructions right in the book. And, Amigurumi is hot right now, if you were thinking crochet is all afghans and scarves, it's moved on from that.
For that matter, if you want a crocheted figure of yourself, there's a book called 'AmiguruMe' http://www.amazon.ca/dp/1454703970/
that shows how to make basic figures that you can personalize. (One of the options is a cowboy hat.)
*Try your library first, and then local knitting or craft stores, no sense spending money before you actually try crochet and see if you like it.

Last edited:

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
So, learn! Crochet is simple, only one hook and a couple of stitches. If you want to see if you'd like it, check out your local library: most crochet books have the basic stitch instructions right in the book. And, Amigurumi is hot right now, if you were thinking crochet is all afghans and scarves, it's moved on from that.
For that matter, if you want a crocheted figure of yourself, there's a book called 'AmiguruMe' http://www.amazon.ca/dp/1454703970/
that shows how to make basic figures that you can personalize. (One of the options is a cowboy hat.)
*Try your library first, and then local knitting or craft stores, no sense spending money before you actually try crochet and see if you like it.

I've already got a trip to the library planned next week. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with this.

Part of my changing my life has been to get an actual hobby that isn't reading. Something I can relax by doing. It's not the manliest hobby but I was raised around senior citizens my entire life. I learned the value of practical skills. And, if this will allow me to bring in some money while doing something I enjoy, and not having to get a second job, then so be it.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Former professional football player Rosey Grier was known for doing needlepoint while on set as an actor. It helped him pass the time when he wasn't actually performing. Not usually considered a manly pursuit either.

I have crocheted for almost 50 years. I enjoy it so much more than knitting. I have had to give up small projects due to arthritis in my hands, but still make a number of afghans a year. In honesty, even if my hands would cooperate, those kinds of figures would drive me bonkers. But I would buy them.

MM

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Former professional football player Rosey Grier was known for doing needlepoint while on set as an actor. It helped him pass the time when he wasn't actually performing. Not usually considered a manly pursuit either.

I have crocheted for almost 50 years. I enjoy it so much more than knitting. I have had to give up small projects due to arthritis in my hands, but still make a number of afghans a year. In honesty, even if my hands would cooperate, those kinds of figures would drive me bonkers. But I would buy them.

MM

I won't be buying any hooks or needles, or fraying a single wool sweater for the free yarn, until I know what I'm getting into. Right now, I like the idea of amigurumi. I don't want to get into any long-term projects though. It would be nice to start something and finish it in a reasonable amount of time. That's why I'm trying to find out about how long they take to make.

As for Rosie Grier, I remember that about him.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I won't be buying any hooks or needles, or fraying a single wool sweater for the free yarn, until I know what I'm getting into. Right now, I like the idea of amigurumi. I don't want to get into any long-term projects though. It would be nice to start something and finish it in a reasonable amount of time. That's why I'm trying to find out about how long they take to make.

As for Rosie Grier, I remember that about him.
There are a lot of small amigurumi projects. Once you get the hang of the basic stitches and colour changes, try a crocheted ball or egg shape. When you get the hang of that, you've got the basics for most amigurumi, which is chiefly made up of rounded shapes, joined together.