How to Find a Freelance Editor

Stanton

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All. I need some advice. My WIP first draft will be finished in a couple of weeks. I'll then work on the revision. After that I will seek an editor - copy or content. Occurs to me that I need to find one that specializes in my genre - espionage/thriller. In other words, I probably would not seek an editor who writes and/or edits romance, YA, etc.

I had a 15 minute one-on-one with a literary agent recently at a writers conference and right off the bat she said, rather disdainfully, that she did not read "espionage, CIA kind of stuff". Kind of a waste for me. (her profile said that she was looking for multicultural thrillers. Go figure that out.)

Back to my question. Is there a directory anywhere that lists freelance editors by genre? Can anyone here recommend a great editor for my genre?
Thanks.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

At the back of Jeff Herman's Guide, there's a list of groups with good quality editors. I've used editors belonging to two of these groups. Take a look at the lists, go online and check to see who does your genre. Understand that most editors work on multiple genres.

Best of luck!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Stanton

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Siri. I recall seeing Jeff Herman's in our library reference section. I'll check it out.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I don't have anyone to recommend right off hand, but if you plan to submit to agents, you likely won't need to hire an editor. Once a manuscript is submitted to publication, the publisher pays for the editor. If you plan to self-publish, carry on. :)

As for the agent, sorry that didn't work out for you. Perhaps they liked thrillers of other sorts, since not all thrillers are espionage. Everyone has different tastes. But, good luck if you continue looking for agents. :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding what SBibb said: if you're planning on submitting your book to literary agents, you almost certainly don't need to hire an editor for your book. If it gets picked up by a trade publisher they will edit it for you, for free.

If you want to self publish, you would be wise to pay for an editor: but you need to understand what the different sorts of editing are, and know what you're paying for.

There's a short list of excellent editors in our Publishing Resources room, which you might find helpful.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All. I need some advice. My WIP first draft will be finished in a couple of weeks. I'll then work on the revision. After that I will seek an editor - copy or content. Occurs to me that I need to find one that specializes in my genre - espionage/thriller. In other words, I probably would not seek an editor who writes and/or edits romance, YA, etc.

I had a 15 minute one-on-one with a literary agent recently at a writers conference and right off the bat she said, rather disdainfully, that she did not read "espionage, CIA kind of stuff". Kind of a waste for me. (her profile said that she was looking for multicultural thrillers. Go figure that out.)

Back to my question. Is there a directory anywhere that lists freelance editors by genre? Can anyone here recommend a great editor for my genre?
Thanks.

The genre won't be an issue for any truly professional editor. Most editors that have a background in romance will have edited many romantic suspense novels, and so would have plenty of skills for editing a thriller. (I mention this because if and when I have money to self publish I know a professional editor who I'd go with, that I was going to recommend to you in PM, when I began reading this thread, but their background is working for a romance publisher. )

If you're planning to submit to agents and publishers, throwing money at editing is not necessary.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
If you want a content editor (or a developmental editor, which you're past the point of needing), finding one intimately familiar with the genre is crucial. For copy editing, not so much.

If you're going to query agents, you don't need to hire an editor, as has already been pointed out to you. Even if you're going to publish it yourself, you'd be better off getting some beta readers who love your genre first to point out the most obvious things. Many editors charge rates that they determine by looking at the first X number of pages. A cleaner manuscript will cost you less, in that case.

Stanton

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I plan to go the conventional agent/publisher route. I'll write and rewrite until I believe it's ready, and not waste money on an editor.

Marta

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I plan to go the conventional agent/publisher route. I'll write and rewrite until I believe it's ready, and not waste money on an editor.

A bit biased here, as I'm an editor, but take with a grain of salt advice that an agent or publisher will edit your book for you and so you don't need an editor before sending to an agent. You've first got to have a good enough story to catch their interest among all the other submissions they're getting. Occasional misspellings or grammatical errors may not be an issue, but lots of them, or a story with any other weaknesses, will mean a rejection.

My advice is to bring the story as far as you can, get some beta readers you trust to review your genre to give you feedback, and consider an editor at that point, especially if you don't interest an agent within your first dozen submissions. Start with a content editor, as you don't want to pay for copyediting every revision.

As for what to look for in an editor, yes, one who understands your genre is important if you're looking for content editing (as opposed to copyediting). Do your homework, though, and don't hire the cheapest person who claims to be an editor. A good place to start is the Editorial Freelancers Association and other professional organizations.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A bit biased here, as I'm an editor, but take with a grain of salt advice that an agent of publisher will edit your book for you and so you don't need an editor before sending to an agent.

I'm an editor too. Not a freelance-and-available to writers editor, but a freelances-for-big-trade-publishers editor.

I assure you that good publishers edit the books they publish very thoroughly and with great care.

I also assure you that commissioning editors--and yep, I've been one--can distinguish a good book from a bad one (and by "good" I mean "a book with strong commercial potential") even if it's not yet been edited.

You've first got to have a good enough story to catch their interest among all the other submissions they're getting. Occasional misspellings or grammatical errors may not be an issue, but lots of them, or a story with any other weaknesses, will mean a rejection.

The odd misspelling or gramatical error is not going to cause a book to be rejected. A book which is peppered with such small mistakes but which is otherwise good will be considered. A book with a great story will be grabbed with both hands; a book with a great story which is flawed in some way will be considered, and might well be offered on if the flaws aren't too difficult to resolve.

It really isn't necessary for writers to pay for freelance editing prior to submission. In many cases it becomes a point against them, as it suggests they can't write a good enough book on their own.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Stanton
As a non-native English speaker I considered hiring a copy editor and/or proof reader to help polish my ms before submission. At that time I wondered whether good story trumped grammar mistakes and/or clunky phrasing, and whether agents/publishers could see past those issues if they really liked the story and voice. I hoped they could and I decided not to hire an editor. Guess what? I had several offers on my debut novel, warts and all, so my question was answered in the best possible way. Agents/publishers will pick up your story if they like it, regardless of whether it's perfectly polished or not. (BTW, I don't think it ever is, not even when it's published. LOL)

Besides not wanting to fork out on an editor before submission, I thought about what would happen if I did and then my ms was picked up. What if my agent/publisher wanted another book? I planned to write several series and stand alones. They'd expect these to be of the same standard as that first submission, right? I'd either have to fork out for another editor to help polish again, or tell my agent/publisher 'oh, by the way, the ms you saw was worked on by an editor before you saw it. Here's how I really write.' Nope. Whoever sees my mss sees my writing, warts and all. I do have excellent Beta Readers though, and they always read my books before I submit to my editor (I didn't go the agent route and subbed straight to publisher slush piles).

HTH

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that you should find beta readers and/or critique partners. You can also post in SYW on these forums once you reach 50 posts. Take your work as far as you can this way. You can even pay for professional critiques at conferences. That is, at least, also a networking opportunity. However, there is no need to do it. (Of course, conferences have other benefits.)

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
This question comes up a lot. I'd like to suggest that the mods make this thread a sticky or create another sticky on this topic.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score

Sungoddess

Registered
Reaction score
A bit biased here, as I'm an editor, but take with a grain of salt advice that an agent or publisher will edit your book for you and so you don't need an editor before sending to an agent. You've first got to have a good enough story to catch their interest among all the other submissions they're getting. Occasional misspellings or grammatical errors may not be an issue, but lots of them, or a story with any other weaknesses, will mean a rejection.

My advice is to bring the story as far as you can, get some beta readers you trust to review your genre to give you feedback, and consider an editor at that point, especially if you don't interest an agent within your first dozen submissions. Start with a content editor, as you don't want to pay for copyediting every revision.

As for what to look for in an editor, yes, one who understands your genre is important if you're looking for content editing (as opposed to copyediting). Do your homework, though, and don't hire the cheapest person who claims to be an editor. A good place to start is the Editorial Freelancers Association and other professional organizations.

Good luck!

Great advice. Thanks for the information.

Sloane

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, speaking as a pro editor, you DO need an editor before submitting to a traditional publisher or to an agent. If you use one, you will be much more likely to land a contract! The reason is that if you submit a book to an agent that needs work, they will send it back to you to clean it up. They don't want to show a badly-written book to a publisher. If you submit a book to a publisher that needs a lot of work, they will reject it outright. Too many inexperienced writers buy into the myth that they don't need their work edited before submitting. And then they wonder why they aren't being picked up by an agent or publisher.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, speaking as a pro editor, you DO need an editor before submitting to a traditional publisher or to an agent. If you use one, you will be much more likely to land a contract! The reason is that if you submit a book to an agent that needs work, they will send it back to you to clean it up. They don't want to show a badly-written book to a publisher. If you submit a book to a publisher that needs a lot of work, they will reject it outright. Too many inexperienced writers buy into the myth that they don't need their work edited before submitting. And then they wonder why they aren't being picked up by an agent or publisher.

Old Hack, who has spent many years in the business, explained the reasons behind the oft-repeated advice to eschew professional editing when planning on trade publishing.

No, agents will not send books they feel need work out on submission; they will ask writers to revise things, and will often help guide writers toward producing a more-saleable version of the book. They know what acquisition people and houses are looking for; they have relationships with people in acquisitions.

If someone pays for an editor, then sends their ms. out, there's a very good chance an agent or agents will request changes anyway, and no guarantee the editor isn't making a book worse or less attractive to agents.

Just by the way, if you say you're an editor, you might want to edit your posts. I would advise anyone against hiring an editor whose posts are error-ridden.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

What makes you a "pro editor?" Who have you worked with? Your assertions about trade publishing suggest you haven't worked in trade publishing.

I'm not being snotty; but it really is a very different system. It's not like, for instance, working on a news paper, or a literary magazine in college, or even self-publishing.

Moreover I'm not sure you're clear on the distinction between editing and proofing.

Manuscripts absolutely should be proofed before subbing, but the publisher will have a house style, and the publisher's editors will be familiar with with that style. An external editor won't be.

Moreover, the publisher will likely suggest additional edits; why pay someone else? It's the publisher's job. I'd be especially cautious about hiring someone to do structural edits if you're planning to sub to trade publishers or agents. They probably aren't going to know what a particular publisher wants.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to self publish, you would be wise to pay for an editor: but you need to understand what the different sorts of editing are, and know what you're paying for.

There's a short list of excellent editors in our Publishing Resources room, which you might find helpful.
I'm having trouble finding this. I am looking for a proof reader.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Jeff C. Stevenson

Author of FORTNEY ROAD
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fortneyroad.com
I'll add my two cents into the "get an editor" side of the story. Here's why:

Everything is accelerated today, including decisions. Agents are flooded with queries thanks (?) to email. In the old days, we'd have to write it, print it, mail it with a SASE, and then wait weeks/months for a yea or nay. Publishers are also flooded with manuscripts from agents (there are a LOT of agents) and a close friend who was the CEO of on the Big 5 told me that while they DO edit, the editors in the house are really overworked and they too, farm stuff out to freelance editors. Everything moves so quickly that if an already-edited manuscript comes in, your reputation (the writer) kicks up a notch. ("Hey, he/she really writes well!")

And here's the kicker: If you have a great freelance editor work with you and your book and really polishes it up, when the agent summons the courage to take a look, he/she will be delighted that your book reads so well. (Not that we can't shine up the prose on our own or with beta readers, but there's really nothing better than a "professional editor.")

Since the agent is more or less satisfied with the quality of the manuscript, he/she can send it along to the publisher, confident that it's a great book. OR....you can get an agent that really likes your manuscript, but wants you to revise it and you spend months doing that. If you have the funds, I recommend getting a great freelance editor and work with him/her and then query the agent.

I had terrific editorial help with my book before it went to the publisher and then an exceptional copy editor and ANOTHER editor that the publisher assigned me to. I could never have done it without them, and I doubt if I would have got it published without the help of some smart, dedicated editors before my agent picked it up.

So I'm in the "hire an editor once you have made your book 'perfect' and he/she will make it shine brighter" school of thought. Obviously, it's an individual choice and depends on your financial situation, but I learned a LOT from my editor(s) and carry the tools they gave me into my new projects.

The same goes with proposals if you're doing NF--there are GREAT resources out there that can really help, so make yourself available to them if you have the funds available. They are well worth the expense and it pays off in the quality of you work.

Best,
Jeff

Last edited:

Dogeared

Registered
Reaction score
We don't list proof readers, and they are not the same as editors, really and truly, it's a different skill set.

Just an aside: It seems to me there is fuzziness in some publishing discussions regarding the terms "proofreading" and "proofing"; in many cases in using these words I think people are referring to what is more accurately (at least for the U.S.) termed copy editing (or line editing) — fine scrutiny of the text for correctness of grammar, punctuation, etc.

That is, the word "editor" can cover a rather broad range of approaches to text, from consideration of big-picture stuff to "going through the text with a fine-tooth comb." If that's what you're looking for, the comb-wielder is generally what would be called a copy editor, not a proofreader.

Technically a proofreader specifically engages in comparing two versions of the same material to check for mistakes, such as typographical glitches or mechanical errors, that may have come about in the newer version (e.g., a galley) during the production process.

(The above applies in the U.S.; in the U.K, it flip-flops — what we would call a copy editor in the U.S. is called a proofreader in the U.K. So, that can add to the confusion in forums where commenters may be from different countries.)

Not meaning to seem to contradict anyone, but I thought I'd jump in to try to add some clarity just to help ensure that those considering freelance assistance with their ms. can use accurate terms in their searches or contacts with individuals.