Trouble with Overdue Freelance Editor

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Small claims court is more like going to the DMV than going to the criminal court. But you'd end up paying more in expenses than the amount you are trying to recover.

Graylorne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulhorsman-author.com
In any case I need someone over there to act for me. No, if I can't get him to pay, I'll just have to write it off.

For some strange reason the thing that troubles me most, is why.
I don't believe the guy is a scammer. He's got too much reputation to lose.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
For some strange reason the thing that troubles me most, is why.
I don't believe the guy is a scammer. He's got too much reputation to lose.

I can't speak for the editor in question, but I thought about this quite a bit at one point to figure out how to avoid being that bad editor, and I concluded that:

(a) some strategies and decisions can leave an editor vulnerable to problems, eg. lack of clear deadlines causing jobs to drag on until enthusiasm is lost, payment in advance limiting the financial incentive to complete and deliver work
(b) when problems do arise, the editor's emotional reaction can worsen the situation, eg. feeling ashamed and wanting to hide from the situation, stress leading to reacting defensively
(c) financial problems can lead to a strong need to bring in new clients' cash rather than do promised work for old clients, while payment in advance may already be spent, meaning it can't be refunded in the case of problems

That's not an excuse for lack of professionalism, but it could well be a series of mistakes and misjudgements rather than an active attempt to scam you.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to report the matter has been honorably settled.
I'll not go into details, but we are both satisfied. So all ends well.

Good outcome. Well done, whatever the process to resolution.

Graylorne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paulhorsman-author.com
Thank you.

In these matters it's always handy to be a fantasy writer. Some fire and brimstone, a box of left-over spells from last century's Walpurgis, and after a week of swinging through the trees like a pig makes the most hardened miscreant amenable.
Imagine you're writing horror. To recall Chthulu into the world for a petty dispute like this would be out of proportion.

Still, I hate these things, so I'm glad it is settled.